PDA

View Full Version : Easynews

Planetgarb
15-02-2008, 10:03
I subscribe to easynews which i have found to be very reliable with download speeds.
Im not a big downloader I use this service so i and my wife can watch lost and Ross Kemp in afganistan

Over the last few weeks the download speeds have been terrible 50kbs(I only download in the daytime.)
The route that it takes has been checked several times and i have also re routed to try and increase the speed but nothing has worked.
The only time i have had a decent speed was yesterday morning when i downloaded an episode of lost 700kbs but soon after that it dropped back to 50kbs.
I have tried the usual stuff re-booting everything, bypassing my router ect but nothing has helped.

Are certain sites being throttled ?

Has anyone got any ideas as to what the problem might be ?

Cheers

Chris

Slim at UN
15-02-2008, 10:14
This has been like this from NTL days.
I have found the only way round this is to use a download manager.
This will download thing in up to 8 files and re asembel them after downloding.

I use Fresh Download.
If you look on Easynews Zip Managers page it has more information.

Good Luck
Slim

zing_deleted
15-02-2008, 10:16
well if your downloading using HTTP then you should be using a download manager anyway. Try using reget set to 50 connections that should allow you to leech away. Have you tried the NTTP server is the speed bad with that too??

Planetgarb
15-02-2008, 10:25
You get so set in your ways of doing things lol.
I will look into the NTTP server route i have never used it so will have to do some tinkering about. I have flashget as a download manager but for some reason easynews files will not download on it so i will try one of the ones sugested.
Im still baffled as to why i got the fast download speeds yesterday it looks like vm let their guard down for about an hour lol

Mick Fisher
15-02-2008, 19:22
Free Download Manager is usually recommended for use with Easynets HTTP service.

SMHarman
15-02-2008, 19:32
I pulled a 700Mb 55min broadcast off there a couple of days ago at about 300kbs, but that is from a US based Cablevision connection. That was also a plainol HTTPS download.

Planetgarb
16-02-2008, 08:19
I used fresh download last night and at first i thought i had cracked it when the file started racing it @ 1000kbs that lasted for about 5 mins and then it hit the 50 - 60 kbs wall.
This could have been shaping so i will try it again in the daytime.

zing_deleted
16-02-2008, 10:50
Have you tried NNTP yet? Easynews is cheap for what you get but they do not listen to the client base. They need to offer other accounts 20 gig web based is great but 20 gig over NNTP is crap they should charge 10/15 quid on a different account and offer the same 20 gig limit on web and unlimited NNTP imo.

How many connections does your manager allow? have you tried reget yet? this allows loads of connection ive got mine set to 50

Planetgarb
16-02-2008, 11:20
Im trying one thing at a time fresh download only allows 8 connections and i will see if it speeds up in the daytime.
If that fails it will be going down your route Zingle but i think i ned to give things a chance before moving on.
Being new to the whole newsgroup thing its nice to know i can come on here and get some sound advice.
I will let you know how i get on.

Cheers
Chris

mikekirk
16-02-2008, 12:08
I'm not certain this is an issue that's related to Virgin Media connections. My father is on ADSL with IDNet (a small independent ISP) and he gets superb download speeds on his line (which connects at just over 7mb) from everywhere. Apart from Easynews that is. I wonder if its something to do with their peering and the transatlantic hop?

Planetgarb
16-02-2008, 15:11
easynews has said its not them and doing a trace results in no packet loss and low latency.
Easynews did say that Virgin tend to throttle their site and is a known problem

Planetgarb
25-02-2008, 21:22
Zingle i tried out reget today and have to say its the best download manager i have used.
I just have to put my hand in my pocket to purchase it

Thanks for the advice my problems are now over

Chris

zing_deleted
25-02-2008, 21:23
good good :)

Richy99
26-02-2008, 10:59
easynews were good about 5 or 6 years ago but for the price now there are better serviuces available, the thing i didnt like was that NNTP and their web interface had different retention times