PDA

View Full Version : Three-strike-rule

Nicosia
14-02-2008, 22:39
Hi,

Ive read on a web site that all isps in uk must apply the three strike rule to all their customers.. inother words if ANYONe is downloading illigal files they have three strikes and then have their internet cut off.. it is said top 5 isps
Virgin being one of them talked to some producers about the movie industry and music losing billions.

so does this mean all the uk and say for virgin users all the heavy downloaders will be stopped either their internet taken away or put off downloading in fear of having their net taken away... i imagine this will free up a lot of b/w and give most customers that from what i read here are getting less then 10meg and even less then 5 on a 20meg connection, i imagine the speeds will increase as heavy downloaders are stopped.

But how are the isps able to see what you are downloading? I myself like to download the occasional tv episode such as smallville or lost/heroes. but how can they see if i download these "illigal files" and how can they mpnitor so many millions of customers and what they download

tweetypie/8
14-02-2008, 22:46
Hi,

Ive read on a web site that all isps in uk must apply the three strike rule to all their customers.. inother words if ANYONe is downloading illigal files they have three strikes and then have their internet cut off.. it is said top 5 isps
Virgin being one of them talked to some producers about the movie industry and music losing billions.

so does this mean all the uk and say for virgin users all the heavy downloaders will be stopped either their internet taken away or put off downloading in fear of having their net taken away... i imagine this will free up a lot of b/w and give most customers that from what i read here are getting less then 10meg and even less then 5 on a 20meg connection, i imagine the speeds will increase as heavy downloaders are stopped.

But how are the isps able to see what you are downloading? I myself like to download the occasional tv episode such as smallville or lost/heroes. but how can they see if i download these "illigal files" and how can they mpnitor so many millions of customers and what they download

good ? wish i knew and :welcome: to the forum.

TehTech
14-02-2008, 22:52
Hi,

ALREADY being discussed, this has had quite a lot of threads started about it...

May I suggest next time you try using the "Search" link FIRST to make sure someone hasnt already posted it..

FYI, the link is HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/25/33628422-merged-download-illegally-lose-your-connection.html)

Nicosia
14-02-2008, 22:56
thnx for the welcome..

and sorry ill be sure to do so..

KenK
14-02-2008, 22:59
good ? wish i knew and :welcome: to the forum.It's just Govt. posturing to look like they're helping the movie and music companies. Why they want to give that appearance, I can't comment on.
If the technology existed to actually do this monitoring and control, I can think of better things to use it for.

Derek
14-02-2008, 23:07
Duplicate thread closed. Link to original provided