PDA

View Full Version : Parent wishing to Block MSN Messenger

prcrooks
14-02-2008, 12:03
NW London
former ntl customer

I'd like to block MSN Messenger as it is a destraction to my children when they are supposed to be doing home work.
I removed it from XP only to find that it had been reinstalled.

I have ntl 4mb Broadband and accompanying security software. Can anyone advise on whether it is possible and how to do using the parent control.

P

Chorlton
14-02-2008, 12:06
How much of a distraction is it and how much do you want to control your children? I always found that my girls responded well to being given responsibility for what they did. They understood what was important/right and acted accordingly.

latecomer
14-02-2008, 12:06
Create accounts for the kids with limited admin to prevent them re-installing it. password protect the admin account so they dont have access. Might not be perfect but it would be a start.

lostandconfused
14-02-2008, 12:17
what security software do you use? Most can block certain programs from running.

Monza
14-02-2008, 12:19
It's going to be quite tricky as there are umpteen web based MSN messenger clients that don't need any software to be installed locally on the computer to run.

I'll have a look at this when I get back home to see if there's anything we can do to minimise the exposure to it for you.

Aragorn
14-02-2008, 12:35
If you do want to get 'heavy' on MSN, you could either install a firewall (eg Comodo) and block it at an application level or sign up for OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.org) and block the msn domains (http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=570). The latter has the addition benefit of blocking phishing and adult domains.

boroboi
14-02-2008, 12:38
If you use a home network, (Router based) you can ban the ports that MSN Messenger uses in the router's config. But as has already been said, there are many other clients that can be used to connect to the MSN Messenger network, and there are also web based clients aswell which will have to be blocked as restricted web pages.

I know colleges and schools use a cirtain software to restrict access to these web pages and stop MSN from connecting, perhaps someone else could shed light on what these programs are.

*edit*
Ah, Aragorn's hit the nail on the head

TehTech
14-02-2008, 13:28
NW London
former ntl customer

I'd like to block MSN Messenger as it is a destraction to my children when they are supposed to be doing home work.

I have ntl 4mb Broadband and accompanying security software. Can anyone advise on whether it is possible and how to do using the parent control.

P

WHY let them use the internet in the first place? surely to make absolutely sure that they cant be 'distracted' is not to let them...

There are a LOT WORSE distractions as you put it surfing the net..

Just tell them they have to be responsible, its all about being an adult and you will have to trust them when you say they can use it from xx:xx until xx:xx or give them a specific time they are allowed to use msn for, like say half hour for example, and then they have to sign out.

You could install NetSupport Protect, this can disable whatever you want disabled, especially programs that can & cant be opened.

NetSupport School is another good product, you can actually "watch" as if you was looking at the same screen they do, and you can also monitor & block MSN depending on your choosing.

DocDutch
14-02-2008, 13:39
there is something that you can use its called K9 www.getk9.com dont know for sure it it does filtering but it for sure blocks anything that you want ;)

Richy99
14-02-2008, 13:49
WHY let them use the internet in the first place? surely to make absolutely sure that they cant be 'distracted' is not to let them...

research for homework..or is that a bit obvious?

smeagoly1
14-02-2008, 13:57
Set up a seperate user account, and set theirs to limited. This will prevent them installing new software or altering old ones. Simpilest and cheapest.
Or
Installing A firewall and password protecting it and denying access to MSN Messenger. But already stated there are loads of alternatives online for chat rooms.

I am loath to say this but PC GUARDS parental access denies access to most of the common chat applications. It does rather hog system resources though. When i had it on it worked a treat, and also stopped 99.99% of the sites unsutable to an under 12. Not sure about other parent guards or net nanny software as i have never used them.

As for trusting kids, well ermmm we all loved to trust our own, but all us parents know there are just too many distractions that waylay little minds hahaha all best will in the world and that we are all human.

lostandconfused
14-02-2008, 13:57
does it sign into msn and hotmail automatically? if so couldnt you just change the password?

Kymmy
14-02-2008, 14:38
Personally I'd disconnect the internet for the times that they're doing thier homework, that way they can't connect via Messenger or any other online service. And if they say that they need the internet to do thier homework that's crap as not every school kid has access to the internet at home so no school curriculum will make the internet part of it!!!

Kymmy

DocDutch
14-02-2008, 14:52
if you have a router then you could limit the time that the kids can be online as most routers would have filters on them.

with the router if you have 1 then what you would do is say block ports 1-65535 between 6pm - 10pm or something like that. that way the kids will not be able to get on the net

v0id
14-02-2008, 15:10
Give them a good slapping for reinstalling it and stop any "treats" for a month, also ensure they can only use the PC under your supervison

hokkers999
14-02-2008, 16:39
NW London
former ntl customer

P

Depending on how it savvy you are and they are... you could edit your local hosts file to redirect all traffic to msn to 127.0.0.1

alferret
14-02-2008, 19:25
NW London
former ntl customer

P

Join

http://www.hoopaa.com/

It will allow you good parental rights including stopping MSN and other message services, it also logs all sites visited, allows you to block sites and can also give you transcripts of the conversations on messanger if you so wished. Its also free but the site can be a little slow sometimes.

lsproc
15-02-2008, 09:17
Onecare family safety (free) can block msn, but also let you control who is on their contact list (fss.live.com).

If you get Explorer crashing when you use it, see the knowledge base, there is a hotfix.

Graham M
15-02-2008, 09:31
On my router you can block ports at certain times on certain days, maybe if you have a router, you can block the MSN ports at certain times on yours, I have to agree though with some that a certain degree of freedom hurts nobody and perhaps if they are at a school age, they should have supervision while they are using a PC?

xpod
15-02-2008, 09:59
Give them a good slapping for reinstalling it and stop any "treats" for a month, also ensure they can only use the PC under your supervison

The joys of parenthood:)
They do what their told,when their told and for how bloody well long their told and if they dont like it they can damn well lump it!!
The more they do what their asked.....or told even then the less i have to intervene.

I`ll clear their rooms for them never mind the multitude of parental PC policies .......
or Opendns etc
My younger ones cant do enough "homework" but as they get older less is more eh;)

xpod
15-02-2008, 11:01
You just cant turn your back for a second though eh...;)

15853 15854

TehTech
15-02-2008, 14:10
You just cant turn your back for a second though eh...;)

15853 15854

lol bless them :)

xpod
15-02-2008, 16:19
lol bless them

Those are the quiet two.
The other two......and mum,are a whole different matter though:dozey:

...........................:erm:.................. ...hesitates before posting,just in case:knock:

eth01
15-02-2008, 17:30
use opendns and block the ports!

xpod
15-02-2008, 18:46
use opendns and block the ports!

Thats great for accidental problems but the bottom line is the kid should just not be using MSN....or whatever,if the parent is telling them not to,end of!

It`s not Opendns,my router or my host`s files i`d use if they were`nt listening.
They just would`nt have BB.........or the PC.And i`d quite possibly have the TV`s,PS`s,PSP`s,Nintendos......... and every other electrical/battery powered gadget the culprit in question had in their rooms.
I`d probably have the Rubiks cube`s & Monopolies too in fact;)

Thankfully it`s never really been an issue during the relatively short time we`ve had PC`s in the house.

xspeedyx
15-02-2008, 21:18
No harm meant but wow ur harsh but I suppose it gets the job done

Kymmy
15-02-2008, 21:53
Problem with port blockers is that (as already stated) there are too many http websites that will allow you to connect to MSN mesenger without the need of the software. So the only way port blocking would work is if you also block port 80 which means no web browsing at all.

Kymmy

TehTech
15-02-2008, 22:46
Thats great for accidental problems but the bottom line is the kid should just not be using MSN....or whatever,if the parent is telling them not to,end of!

It`s not Opendns,my router or my host`s files i`d use if they were`nt listening.
They just would`nt have BB.........or the PC.And i`d quite possibly have the TV`s,PS`s,PSP`s,Nintendos......... and every other electrical/battery powered gadget the culprit in question had in their rooms.
I`d probably have the Rubiks cube`s & Monopolies too in fact;)

Thankfully it`s never really been an issue during the relatively short time we`ve had PC`s in the house.

LOL! would you leave them ANY toys or anything for them to play with?

With all due respect, Im glad you wasnt my dad, dont think I could've coped without any toys or whatnot when I was a wee younger :angel:

xpod
15-02-2008, 22:49
No harm meant but wow ur harsh but I suppose it gets the job done

I would be yes.If i had to be.

I`ve never actually came close to having to take such drastic action DL,but i most certainly would.No hesitation.
I have taken things as punishment of course but never emptied a room like so,yet!

There`s still plenty time of course;)

TehTech
15-02-2008, 22:53
I would be yes.If i had to be.

I`ve never actually came close to having to take such drastic action DL,but i most certainly would.No hesitation.
I have taken things as punishment of course but never emptied a room like so,yet!

There`s still plenty time of course;)

I DO have to agree with that though, children need CLEAR RULES, and they also need to know what will happen if said rules are broken!

I mean, some might see it harsh, but its for the best, which would you rather, having to punish your kids at times, or have them slapped with ASBO's!

Some may say Im tough on my lil 4yr old, but she knows that daddy can also be very playful & loving when she's being an angel!

xspeedyx
15-02-2008, 23:28
I DO have to agree with that though, children need CLEAR RULES, and they also need to know what will happen if said rules are broken!

I mean, some might see it harsh, but its for the best, which would you rather, having to punish your kids at times, or have them slapped with ASBO's!

Some may say Im tough on my lil 4yr old, but she knows that daddy can also be very playful & loving when she's being an angel!

I am confused at first you say xpod is too harsh then u agree with him that parents need to be harsh WOW u made me confused stuck to a side in future

xpod
15-02-2008, 23:34
LOL! would you leave them ANY toys or anything for them to play with?

With all due respect, Im glad you wasnt my dad, dont think I could've coped without any toys or whatnot when I was a wee younger

Jeeez,i`m not even that old but i still remember never having needed any toys to amuse ourselves,certainly none of the gizmo`s and gadgets they have now-a-days.

We were out all the time as kids,possibly in for a jam piece(jam sandwich for you non Scots) between meals,if at all.
My dad was quite a bit older than my mother is and more Victorian in his ways than i seem to be coming across as here:dozey:
:)

I`m very lucky in that i have some of the most well behaved kids i know and although i dont allow kids to take the **** it`s not quite the bootcamp it possibly sound`s like....more of a Disney World,lots of fun and lots of pink;)

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:30 ----------

I am confused at first you say xpod is too harsh then u agree with him that parents need to be harsh WOW u made me confused stuck to a side in future

Go to your room,think about that for 10 min`s then come back:p:

xspeedyx
15-02-2008, 23:39
I meant stick not stuck my mistake bad typo

TehTech
16-02-2008, 00:02

No, dl you missunderstand :)
I dont mean that Im harsh, the lil angel just knows that daddy will be very angry if she dont do as she's told, and if she keeps on then it ends up with a smacked bottom & bet for a few hrs so she can think about what she's done and think about how she should be behaving, then after that she knows daddy will be ok with her

xpod
16-02-2008, 00:28
No, dl you missunderstand
I dont mean that Im harsh, the lil angel just knows that daddy will be very angry if she dont do as she's told, and if she keeps on then it ends up with a smacked bottom & bet for a few hrs so she can think about what she's done and think about how she should be behaving, then after that she knows daddy will be ok with her

With all due respect i dont think being "very angry" should even come into it.
They can and will only play on that anger as they grow older.

Deal with them yes,but try not to show toooo much of that anger.
It will do you far more good in the long run i believe.
I`ve really never had to smack any of my lot in 15 Yr`s so far,although the fact that i myself was smacked,caned and given the belt at school as a young un was probably why i decided i would never resort to it myself.

I`ve chased cheeky little beggars upstairs etc but i would probably only cry myself if i ever hit any of my girls and made them cry.

Thats something i just could`nt have them seeing:)
They`d be making me cry all the time,just for the laugh they`d get:dozey:

:)

WillPS
16-02-2008, 02:32
For the love of God, what's with all this? MSN is a distraction - blah blah blah! I absolutely hate it.

I'm 18 now and never have I been properly forced to do stuff like that. If I'm not in the right frame of mind to work then I just wont. You can't remove every distraction from today's youth, you just have to trust that eventually they'll realise themselves what needs to be done.

Yes, some stuff gets left until the last day or whatever, but in reality a little bit of time pressure can be a good thing and I find I work a lot better under that sort of pressure. I attended a school (The Becket School) which set absolutely rediculous amounts of homework (we had PE homework ffs!) and I can tell you that I knew then as much as I do now that 80% of it was superfluous garbage, and to that end I just didn't do a lot of it.

I appreciate that as a parent you'll want to make sure your children have the best chance in life, but there's going to be a point at some stage where you will no longer have the sort of control you have now, and if you control your children quite so much as you do then at the first opportunity they'll rebel and stop doing it.

Something that doesn't get talked about too much is the relatively high college and university drop out rates. The reason for that, in my oppinion, is simple because children don't know how work without somebody removing all distractions. I'm about to sit my last A-Level examinations at High Pavement Sixth Form College (an FE college that's part of New College Nottingham) and I can tell you that it takes a realisation in yourself to get you through these things, not an endless amount of removing games and MSN.

Hell, the computers at college all still have Solitaire installed on them, so if you need a distraction then there's one straight away. I know myself that if I play it (which occasionally I do) I am loosing out on time I could be putting towards my studies. Ultimately though I know how long something's going to take and I know that eventually I'll have to do the work and try and put those distractions aside.

And if you're wondering, I'm predicted A-C in all my A-Levels.

To conclude, don't remove the distractions, just put a bit of parental pressure on your children.

[/rant]

xpod
16-02-2008, 03:16
To conclude, don't remove the distractions, just put a bit of parental pressure on your children.

My 12 year old has just come down the stairs......at 3 in the morning and told me to go to bed.
If i dont then apparently i`m losing the PC for the weekend:dozey:
She & her sis fell asleep with mum in our room and it seems that she and the better half have just woke up:erm:

Oh Well:sleep:.......?????:rolleyes:

eddcase
16-02-2008, 12:04
For the love of God, what's with all this? MSN is a distraction - blah blah blah! I absolutely hate it.

I'm 18 now and never have I been properly forced to do stuff like that. If I'm not in the right frame of mind to work then I just wont. You can't remove every distraction from today's youth, you just have to trust that eventually they'll realise themselves what needs to be done.

Yes, some stuff gets left until the last day or whatever, but in reality a little bit of time pressure can be a good thing and I find I work a lot better under that sort of pressure. I attended a school (The Becket School) which set absolutely rediculous amounts of homework (we had PE homework ffs!) and I can tell you that I knew then as much as I do now that 80% of it was superfluous garbage, and to that end I just didn't do a lot of it.

I appreciate that as a parent you'll want to make sure your children have the best chance in life, but there's going to be a point at some stage where you will no longer have the sort of control you have now, and if you control your children quite so much as you do then at the first opportunity they'll rebel and stop doing it.

Something that doesn't get talked about too much is the relatively high college and university drop out rates. The reason for that, in my oppinion, is simple because children don't know how work without somebody removing all distractions. I'm about to sit my last A-Level examinations at High Pavement Sixth Form College (an FE college that's part of New College Nottingham) and I can tell you that it takes a realisation in yourself to get you through these things, not an endless amount of removing games and MSN.

Hell, the computers at college all still have Solitaire installed on them, so if you need a distraction then there's one straight away. I know myself that if I play it (which occasionally I do) I am loosing out on time I could be putting towards my studies. Ultimately though I know how long something's going to take and I know that eventually I'll have to do the work and try and put those distractions aside.

And if you're wondering, I'm predicted A-C in all my A-Levels.

[/rant]

A visit from the spelling Police may help you improve those grades:

rediculous = ridiculous
oppinion = opinion
loosing = losing

Sorry, please don't take offence, I'm bored today :D An interesting post otherwise.

WillPS
16-02-2008, 14:01
A visit from the spelling Police may help you improve those grades:

rediculous = ridiculous
oppinion = opinion
loosing = losing

Sorry, please don't take offence, I'm bored today :D An interesting post otherwise.
No you're correct, sorry, if you look at the post time it was silly o'clock in the morning. My spelling really isn't up to much, but I always try my best with syntax and grammar.

If it can be made sense of without a ridiculous amount of word replacement then it's all good.

eddcase
17-02-2008, 00:13
No you're correct, sorry, if you look at the post time it was silly o'clock in the morning. My spelling really isn't up to much, but I always try my best with syntax and grammar.

If it can be made sense of without a ridiculous amount of word replacement then it's all good.

Fair's fair, a mature response. Apologies to you for my nitpick :)

xpod
17-02-2008, 12:04
Fair's fair, a mature response. Apologies to you for my nitpick

Should`nt that have been nitpickING????
There was three of them after all:p:

eddcase
17-02-2008, 12:31
Should`nt that have been nitpickING????
There was three of them after all:p:

Git. Shouldn't 'should'nt' have been 'shouldn't' and shouldn't 'was' be 'were'? :D

TehTech
17-02-2008, 14:45
Git. Shouldn't 'should'nt' have been 'shouldn't' and shouldn't 'was' be 'were'? :D

I can see this going on for a long time hehe :)

xpod
17-02-2008, 18:17
Git. Shouldn't 'should'nt' have been 'shouldn't' and shouldn't 'was' be 'were'?

I were merely but giving you some ammo;)

:dozey:

eddcase
17-02-2008, 22:33
I were merely but giving you some ammo;)

:dozey:

Hrhrhrhr! You know we iz mates xpod :)

deed02392
18-02-2008, 00:01
Configure layer7 blocking for MSN on your router.

Tony.
18-02-2008, 00:09
Interesting thread. . . My seventeen year old has been up until silly o'clock on MSN and then finds it hard to get out of bed for college (go figure) so using the settings in my Belkin router Sunday to Wednesday his Internet is cut off at five past midnight. Not only the young ones need drastic action it would seem.

deed02392
18-02-2008, 02:03
Interesting thread. . . My seventeen year old has been up until silly o'clock on MSN and then finds it hard to get out of bed for college (go figure) so using the settings in my Belkin router Sunday to Wednesday his Internet is cut off at five past midnight. Not only the young ones need drastic action it would seem.

That's me =D I'm 16. It's great though, because I'm the only one who knows sod all about computers in the house, so I'm in full control of everything, you can't keep me off the internet :D

xpod
18-02-2008, 11:00
Hrhrhrhr! You know we iz mates xpod

Um.....um sorry,but ah din`nae ken wit aw that means.
A cannae spoke proper England let alone right it.....write

:angel:

That's me =D I'm 16. It's great though, because I'm the only one who knows sod all about computers in the house, so I'm in full control of everything, you can't keep me off the internet

There being the only reason why i myself even sat down in front of one nearly 2 years ago.
It was never so much about "preventing" though and more about "protecting".
My lads a wee bit younger than you but he knows his way around the things and it was really my girls i was more concerned about at the time.

Things have changed a bit since then of course and now.......It`s me they cant keep off the things.

Pia
18-02-2008, 11:21
These threads always turn into a parenting lesson.... It annoys me really.

The OP didn't ask for advice on how to bring up their kids :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I asked a question (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/19/27458-cd-drawer-on-my-pc-tower.html) about computers once and it turned into a "well control your kid properly" type of bashing...:td:

xpod
18-02-2008, 11:31

I go round the house at night unpluggging any electrical stuff that just dont need to be on so it`s neither here nor there in reality.
That includes the router and/or separate stb etc etc.

When i go offline then everybody goes offline!!
It`s not quite rocket science but it does the job:)

I`ll leave the STB connection on overnight for my lads room on weekends or half terms,like now,but theres just toooo many adapters...plugged into adapters here for the router/20Mb to be left on.:erm:

---------- Post added at 11:31 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

These threads always turn into a parenting lesson.... It annoys me really.

I would`nt get tooo annoyed by anything you read on an internet forum.
Wont help the kid/s to see you sooo upset;)

deed02392
18-02-2008, 11:56
There being the only reason why i myself even sat down in front of one nearly 2 years ago.
It was never so much about "preventing" though and more about "protecting".
My lads a wee bit younger than you but he knows his way around the things and it was really my girls i was more concerned about at the time.

Things have changed a bit since then of course and now.......It`s me they cant keep off the things.

Very admirable =)

Tony.
18-02-2008, 23:22
I go round the house at night unpluggging any electrical stuff that just dont need to be on so it`s neither here nor there in reality.
That includes the router and/or separate stb etc etc.

When i go offline then everybody goes offline!!
It`s not quite rocket science but it does the job:)

I`ll leave the STB connection on overnight for my lads room on weekends or half terms,like now,but theres just toooo many adapters...plugged into adapters here for the router/20Mb to be left on.:erm:

:banghead:I tried that but when I went to bed he just plugged it back in :mad::shocked:

deed02392
18-02-2008, 23:40
:banghead:I tried that but when I went to bed he just plugged it back in :mad::shocked:

Gosh you have a clever one on your hands.

Cobbydaler
18-02-2008, 23:43
Wow, a 54 (+1) post thread & the OP hasn't responded!

Is that a record?

WillPS
20-02-2008, 16:54

And you're going to do that for all their life? Are they going to university? What are you going to do then?

Hugh
20-02-2008, 17:09
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/02/26.png

deed02392
20-02-2008, 18:51
And you're going to do that for all their life? Are they going to university? What are you going to do then?

Erm, sorry but where did he mention using it for all their life? You completely changed what he said, making your comment totally irrelevant.