PDA

View Full Version : No broadband for flats obove shops!

Ben Mearns
12-02-2008, 15:19
I am having a real battle with VM tolay a line to my premises, i have a shop and they offer me a line for that but refuse to install one for my flat above, my address is listed as not servicable, I have got to get a line to my building as my tenants all want broadband. Has anyone eles had this problem:mad:

WHISTLED
12-02-2008, 15:54
Yes you need a spotter to come out - if your shop is servicable so are the flats above

Kellargh
12-02-2008, 16:04
How do you arrange this?

MovedGoalPosts
12-02-2008, 16:10
Phone sales. They should be able to connect you to the spotters line.

Ben Mearns
12-02-2008, 16:31
the spotter didnt reply and residential sales said the building was uservicable, yet their business department said we can have it tommorow, they say flats are a high credit risk and wont service them, it has nothing to do with technical restraints. We live in a good area and the only shop in the road but because i live above the shop i automatically become "wayne and waynetta"

jaycee
14-02-2008, 02:08
Can't you just get it connected to your shop and when the engineer comes, have him run a cable upstairs?

popper
14-02-2008, 03:03
:welcome:
the spotter didnt reply and residential sales said the building was uservicable, yet their business department said we can have it tommorow, they say flats are a high credit risk and wont service them, it has nothing to do with technical restraints. We live in a good area and the only shop in the road but because i live above the shop i automatically become "wayne and waynetta"

thats a joke right!, dont they/sales know that every single VM account is payed for in ADVANCE of services plus a one off inital deposit usually, so weres the risk?

you could always install in the shop,and then run your own ethernet upstairs i suppose.

you can run CAT5e (RJ45,Ethernet) cable for upto 300 foot between routers/switches so shouldn't be a problem on that account, unless you need more than one cable modem.

lostandconfused
14-02-2008, 08:45
:welcome:

thats a joke right!, dont they/sales know that every single VM account is payed for in ADVANCE of services plus a one off inital deposit usually, so weres the risk?

Its only up to 2 weeks in advance, especially if you pay by DD, eg. bill is printed on 1st of the month, covering the period 1st -31st, the direct debit is claimed on the 14th. So you've used 2 weeks serivce before any money is collected.

If it is not paid by DD the customer can make payment up to 28 days after the bill date. No payment in advance (well maybe 2 or 3 days)

The one off deposit is usually applied as a credit on the first months bill, so after that, there is no security on the account.

It may also be, if the premises are listed as a business adress, then a residental line wont be able to be installed.

IMO i would go for a router and run a cable, would work out cheaper in the long run.

Jonnymeg
14-02-2008, 22:01
so weres the risk?

The risk is that they spend a couple of hundred pounds on a new customer that fails to fulfill a contract.

Attracting new customers and installing then costs a lot. Last i knew it was around £175 per customer.

v0id
15-02-2008, 02:54
Can't you just have it installed downstairs, and run some cat5 to a few points in the flat upstairs?

eth01
15-02-2008, 08:58
Can't you just have it installed downstairs, and run some cat5 to a few points in the flat upstairs?

that's already been suggested, and tbh i don't a problem if thats what you wanted to do.. you could always consider using wireless, too.