PDA

View Full Version : ASA rules on Virgin Media 'Lies' adverts

braysoj1
06-02-2008, 13:55
Controversial Virgin Media adverts claiming its broadband is "officially the fastest and most reliable" do not break the rules, the Advertising Standards Authority announced today.

A series of radio, national press and billboard adverts also made an issue of Virgin's fibre optic cable compared with competitors' copper wire.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a88739/asa-rules-on-virgin-media-lies-adverts.html

info from digital spy

Sirius
06-02-2008, 14:10
Controversial Virgin Media adverts claiming its broadband is "officially the fastest and most reliable" do not break the rules, the Advertising Standards Authority announced today.

A series of radio, national press and billboard adverts also made an issue of Virgin's fibre optic cable compared with competitors' copper wire.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a88739/asa-rules-on-virgin-media-lies-adverts.html

info from digital spy

to add to that

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_43928.htm

Rone
06-02-2008, 14:56
I would go with the relability, the speed could be better. :)

tweetypie/8
06-02-2008, 15:01

info from digital spy

good to see something going in their favour.:)

xspeedyx
06-02-2008, 15:15
thank god seems that sky always get away with asa rulings but atleast vm have something in there favour

TehTech
06-02-2008, 17:15
This is delivered via a fibre optic cable - meaning it is officially the fastest and the best performing broadband available

IF this IS the case, why on earth are there so many bloody problems? Lie 1 for VM

it's not just any old broadband, it's unlimited super duper fast fibre-optic cable broadband.

LIE #2, I DO NOT have fibre-optic in my home, it is a COPPER CABLE from my services all the way to the street cabinet or wherever, so it is NOT TRUE fibre-optic.

LIE #3, and PLS dont anyone try arguing with this 1, if it's unlimited, this means WITHOUT limits, but what do they do, go over a certain about, BANG! you'r speeds are LIMITED to whatever tier you are on, so MORE and MORE lies from Virgin Media!!!

AND IF their products are "award Wining" as they so like to band about, where is the proof of this? certainly not on their website OR any corrospondance from them either!
Also, WHY are they STILL massivly in debt, having such "Super-duper fast, award winning products" MORE LIES!!!!

And you thought you'd heard it all, what new depths will VM sink to next?

Perfect Choice
06-02-2008, 17:25
So you think VM are lying and the ASA rules they are are not lying, LoL!

TehTech
06-02-2008, 17:29
So you think VM are lying and the ASA rules they are are not lying, LoL!

I know damn well vm are a bunch of no-good bare faced liars!!

I really cant wait until someone with HALF a braincell buys vm out, the sooner the better!

EDIT: oooh, by the end of the month I'll get my wages, maybe I'll put an offer in for £50, might help towards 1 of their many debt-tee's (I know its not spelt right before the spelling or gramar police are out in force)

Sirius
06-02-2008, 17:32
I know damn well vm are a bunch of no-good bare faced liars!!

I really cant wait until someone with HALF a braincell buys vm out, the sooner the better!

EDIT: oooh, by the end of the month I'll get my wages, maybe I'll put an offer in for £50, might help towards 1 of their many debt-tee's (I know its not spelt right before the spelling or gramar police are out in force)

:LOL: Cannot be bothered to say the rest i was going to say, Except you made me smile to say the least :LOL:

TheBlueRaja
06-02-2008, 17:35
Ah, but it IS unlimited.

You get unlimited problems, unlimited time on the phone to support and unlimited lies when you do, eventually, try to cancel.

grabbi
06-02-2008, 17:40
Almost 12 hours late with this story.

I posted this at Half One this morning! lol

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/33607146-virgin-media-news-page-26.html

G UK
06-02-2008, 17:45
This is delivered via a fibre optic cable - meaning it is officially the fastest and the best performing broadband available
IF this IS the case, why on earth are there so many bloody problems? Lie 1 for VM

Maybe it should read on average, There are a lot of people with no problems who get the advertised speeds you know. I doubt there are very many on ADSL who get there advertised speeds.

LIE #3, and PLS dont anyone try arguing with this 1, if it's unlimited, this means WITHOUT limits, but what do they do, go over a certain about, BANG! you'r speeds are LIMITED to whatever tier you are on, so MORE and MORE lies from Virgin Media!!!

Thats going to work :rolleyes:

Stuart
06-02-2008, 18:00

How many are there for other broadband suppliers? Remember the ADSL distance limits.

LIE #2, I DO NOT have fibre-optic in my home, it is a COPPER CABLE from my services all the way to the street cabinet or wherever, so it is NOT TRUE fibre-optic.

Virgin have fibre running to each street in cabled areas. BT and, by default, other adsl ISPs as they use BT's phone lines for the "last mile" have fibre to the exchange. You can be anywhere up to 10-15 miles from your exchange.

So, while the network is not entirely fibre, 90% of it is..

If you believe the unlimited claims from any ISP, then, TBH (and no offence meant), you are a fool. An unlimited internet connection is not possible. The laws of physics prevent it.

What they sell is unlimited connections subject to certain conditions (which, last time I saw, they were fairly honest about, and a lot more honest than either Sky or Talk Talk)

AND IF their products are "award Wining" as they so like to band about, where is the proof of this? certainly not on their website OR any corrospondance from them either!
Also, WHY are they STILL massivly in debt, having such "Super-duper fast, award winning products" MORE LIES!!!!

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3374-2008-ispa-awards-finalists-announced.html

Also, from http://www.pcmag.co.uk/computeractive/news/2183730/internet-heroes-villains-named

NTL:Telewest - now Virgin Media - won best consumer ISP award

So, yes, they have won awards...

As for the debt, well, they are in debt because a) they went on a massive spending spree, then the internet comms market collapsed before they could see a profit, and b) they have a major competitor (sky) that has access to effectively infinite resources, and has shown willingness to use morally if not actualy dubious means to compete.
And you thought you'd heard it all, what new depths will VM sink to next?[/QUOTE]

WHISTLED
06-02-2008, 19:06
Massively in debt but also very profitable, EBITDA is great but so is expenditure during the continued investment

Welshchris
06-02-2008, 19:34

And you thought you'd heard it all, what new depths will VM sink to next?

I complained about this back in December of last year nd i have aletter infront of me that states they cannot find any breaches of the law and they are unable to help me any further with the complaint and that was the ASA.

G UK
06-02-2008, 19:42
I complained about this back in December of last year nd i have aletter infront of me that states they cannot find any breaches of the law and they are unable to help me any further with the complaint and that was the ASA.

Which bit did you complain about?

TehTech
06-02-2008, 19:47

Sounds to me that in this case, the ASA is well and truely inside VM's pockets!

G UK
06-02-2008, 19:49

Why? because they dont agree with you?

Toto
06-02-2008, 20:14

What a complete load of nonsense.

WHISTLED
06-02-2008, 20:19
:clap:

Sirius
06-02-2008, 20:26

There seems to be a lot of it being posted these days :LOL:

Hugh
06-02-2008, 20:29
But, of course, if they had agreed with your viewpoint, they would be a completely independent crusading power for the consumer. ;)

Sirius
06-02-2008, 20:33
But, of course, if they had agreed with your viewpoint, they would be a completely independent crusading power for the consumer. ;)

:clap::clap::clap:

G UK
06-02-2008, 20:40

But, of course, if they had agreed with your viewpoint, they would be a completely independent crusading power for the consumer.

At least some people still talk some sense...... or should that be type?

TehTech
06-02-2008, 20:47
There seems to be a lot of it being posted these days :LOL:

Just because YOU do not have problems with VM, dont mean to say others dont, so just dont judge!

dilli-theclaw
06-02-2008, 20:49
Just because YOU do not have problems with VM, dont mean to say others dont, so just dont judge!I believe Sirius' problems with VM are well documented on this site, maybe you shouldn't judge either.

Hugh
06-02-2008, 20:51
Just because YOU do not have problems with VM, dont mean to say others dont, so just dont judge!
I think the difference (imho) is that just because we don't have (many) problems, we don't assume everyone else doesn't.

There are some who appear to assume that because they have problems, almost everyone has problems (or if they say they don't, imply that they must be lying or employed/suborned by VM for stating so). ;)

TehTech
06-02-2008, 20:53
I believe Sirius' problems with VM are well documented on this site, maybe you shouldn't judge either.

I was ONLY judging by the facts, people are damn quick to jump on me when I post negatives about VM, WFT is this?? talk about freedom of speech.

What about the freedom to say what I want (within reason, as long as there is no foul language) WITHOUT the VM fanboys jumping all over my posts????

Since when have you seen ANYONE bashing members for posting positives about VM???? Oh yeah, I remember, they dont happen often enough.

And let me add, as with everything in life, if ANYONE has a problem with what I say, just ignore me, that IS what the button is for after all...

Sirius
06-02-2008, 20:54

You need to read these forums and check what problems we have had before sticking your foot in your mouth.

dilli-theclaw
06-02-2008, 20:56
I was ONLY judging by the facts, people are damn quick to jump on me when I post negatives about VM, WFT is this?? talk about freedom of speech.

What about the freedom to say what I want (within reason, as long as there is no foul language) WITHOUT the VM fanboys jumping all over my posts????

Since when have you seen ANYONE bashing members for posting positives about VM???? Oh yeah, I remember, they dont happen often enough.

And let me add, as with everything in life, if ANYONE has a problem with what I say, just ignore me, that IS what the button is for after all...No, you are not judging by the facts as you've obviously not looked at Sirius' history, or mine if you think I'm a 'fanboy'.

Perhaps you should do that?

And can you point out where someone has told you that you can't say what you want?

Hugh
06-02-2008, 20:58
There is, imho, a marked difference between "negatives" and splenetic diatribes.

btw, no need to shout - I have a large screen. ;)

btw2 - love your definition of "facts" - looks more like an opinion to me (again, imho)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehTech http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33628175-asa-rules-virgin-media-lies-adverts-page-2.html#post34484375)

Sirius
06-02-2008, 20:58
the VM fanboys jumping all over my posts????

What happens is that someone would post a good thing about VM and they are labeled Fanboys by people like you :rolleyes:

Hugh
06-02-2008, 21:00
There is, imho, a marked difference between "negatives" and splenetic diatribes.

btw, no need to shout - I have a large screen. ;)

btw2 - love your definition of "facts" - looks more like an opinion to me (again, imho)

Originally Posted by TehTech http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33628175-asa-rules-virgin-media-lies-adverts-page-2.html#post34484375)

Welshchris
07-02-2008, 13:03
Which bit did you complain about?

complaint first of all about them advertising as being faster than ADSL at all times which was untrue, then about them offering 20mb which atm and since Last November in many parts of swansea u cant get it due to problems, also about on the same form it said you can download the latest christmas number one in less than something like 5 seconds which i found totally misleading as this is down to many factors and then i went onto say about the wiring.

jcuk
07-02-2008, 19:58
Coming onto this forum to flame VM isnt really going to help things. You need to tell VM what you think and what your views are, if you sent them something like that i still wouldnt expect a reply.

Perhaps coming on here and explaining what your problem is and if theres a solution then forum members can help you out, alternatively your views are still appreciated, but it would be great if you justified why you feel so negatively.

As for VM fanboys, most people come on here as they have 'issues' with the VM service, so id doubt theres many fanboys :\

Let us know what problems youve got and what VM have said regarding the problems and see if we can help you out?

J x

Toto
07-02-2008, 20:19
OK, I think the red repped ones have got the picture.

So, for a change, the ASA have completely stomped all over the complaints for this particular advert from those advertising bods at VM.

Hardly surprising if you think about it, they should have got it right by now considering the amount of times the ASA have slapped them for some of the previous "creative" adverts. ;)