PDA

View Full Version : Manchester off *yet again*?

scrotnig
06-02-2008, 01:01
As if 0.25mb as a speed wasn't bad enough on a 20mb service, I'm once again having to access the internet via a BT dialup connection as Virgin's broadband has gone off line - yet again.

Are there any new depths to which this once-great service can now sink, or have we plumbed them all now?

TehTech
06-02-2008, 01:07
As if 0.25mb as a speed wasn't bad enough on a 20mb service, I'm once again having to access the internet via a BT dialup connection as Virgin's broadband has gone off line - yet again.

Are there any new depths to which this once-great service can now sink, or have we plumbed them all now?

Welcome to the world of Virgin Media, fasten your seatbelt as you never know what is going to happen next (or NOT happen as the case usually is) :)

Sirius
06-02-2008, 06:46

If your speeds are always that low then move to someone that can provide a level of service you need. The only time you post on here is to complain.
Complaining on here might make you feel better but it will not FIX the problem. That is done by you getting off your backside and doing something about it. IE getting Virgin involved or leaving them for someone else. I know you said you can only get 2 meg from adsl but from what you constantly say it would be better than virgin ?. Welcome to my ignore list from now on btw as i have seen enough of you complaining but doing naff all about it and expecting everyone else to feel sorry for you or to fix it for you. :rolleyes:

scrotnig
06-02-2008, 07:56
Why on Earth would anyone visit a cable help site and then start putting people on ignore when they have problems with their cable service? Extremely strange!

Rest assured I'll continue to post whenever I have problems with a service I pay for, whether you happen to like it or not.

Anyway, tomorrow evening I shall visit the MG Rover Owners forums, and put everyone on ignore who is having problems with their cars. :rolleyes:

lostandconfused
06-02-2008, 08:09
Why on Earth would anyone visit a cable help site and then start putting people on ignore when they have problems with their cable service? Extremely strange!

Rest assured I'll continue to post whenever I have problems with a service I pay for, whether you happen to like it or not.

Anyway, tomorrow evening I shall visit the MG Rover Owners forums, and put everyone on ignore who is having problems with their cars. :rolleyes:

I dont think it was the fact that you are complaining. That is pretty much what this forum is for, and why most people join.

I think its more, that if there is a problem, you would need to try and resolve the problem first. EG call VM to see if there is a problem, or make a complaint etc

Im sure that you may have done this, but from the post it seems that you want a perfect service, (which is fine) but dont report the problem when it happens or take any steps to fix the problem.

scrotnig
06-02-2008, 10:41
I don't expect a perfect service...and I don't mind the odd outage. But nowadays it goes down at least three times a week, and when it's on I'm getting speeds of 0.25mb when I'm paying for 20mb. That's not some of the time, it's ALL of the time, and on many occasions it's actually faster if I use a dialup. It's gone from being a first class service for many years to being absolutely atrocious.

As for calling tech support....I refuse to do so, since they charge me 25p a minute, and no matter WHAT the problem they tell me to check my email settings. When I explain that I don't even use ntl email, they tell me that this is why my broadband isn't working properly and I need to use the ntl email settings. Attempting to explain again leads to them telling me they can't help me if I won't do as they ask, and then they terminate the call! I refuse, point blank refuse, to be spoken to like that every time the system goes down.

It is, quite frankly, appalling, and I'll continue to post about it being appalling even if some posters decide they can't cope with hearing negative feedback about ntl and put me on ignore. I am a great supporter of ntl and always have been, but that doesn't mean I'll accept them providing a poor service.

This morning my connection was back on......still at less than 1mb.....but I had no "sync" light on the modem, which I always thought meant it wouldn't work, but it does, up to a point. I shall investigate further when I get home, but again, I can't ring tech support about it because they will attempt to convince me that a missing sync light on the modem is caused by my email settings, which is contemptible bunkum.

southwell
06-02-2008, 11:08
Why not call their bluff and say you are using their email settings? That kind of speed is completely unacceptable imo and the only ways i can see of it getting rectified is for you to send a comprehensive letter or phone them again....of corse theres always cancellation of service.

Cerberus
06-02-2008, 12:08
Why not call their bluff and say you are using their email settings? That kind of speed is completely unacceptable imo and the only ways i can see of it getting rectified is for you to send a comprehensive letter or phone them again....of corse theres always cancellation of service.

Why not post in the VM broadband support newsgroup? That way it saves you the cost of a 25ppm call and you can still have your problem looked into.

southwell
06-02-2008, 12:17
Why not post in the VM broadband support newsgroup? That way it saves you the cost of a 25ppm call and you can still have your problem looked into.

Well then, theres another way! Ive never needed to seek other ways for complaints are when i was with NTL they were excellent.

gothicdraconian
06-02-2008, 12:28
If your speeds are always that low then move to someone that can provide a level of service you need. The only time you post on here is to complain.
Complaining on here might make you feel better but it will not FIX the problem. That is done by you getting off your backside and doing something about it. IE getting Virgin involved or leaving them for someone else. I know you said you can only get 2 meg from adsl but from what you constantly say it would be better than virgin ?. Welcome to my ignore list from now on btw as i have seen enough of you complaining but doing naff all about it and expecting everyone else to feel sorry for you or to fix it for you. :rolleyes:

What a post! Have you ever considered that the "moaners" actually do try to do something about it, maybe have no other internet access options and are possibly even locked into a contract meaning the only way out would be to pay hundreds of pounds in a lump sum anyway?

Sometimes the only way to deal with these problems is to share them with others. I thought that was the whole point of a discussion forum.
:confused:

Cerberus
06-02-2008, 12:31
No doubt, but had been having issues for a while and got no joy from the outsourced tech support. The language and cultural barrier is just to big. However, when I recently tried the newsgroups, my problem wasn't immediately solved, but I got the answers to the questions that I had been asking for ages and went away quite happy. :tu:

cookster
06-02-2008, 12:53
What a post! Have you ever considered that the "moaners" actually do try to do something about it, maybe have no other internet access options and are possibly even locked into a contract meaning the only way out would be to pay hundreds of pounds in a lump sum anyway?

Sometimes the only way to deal with these problems is to share them with others. I thought that was the whole point of a discussion forum.
:confused:

Stop talking common sense, peeps are more interested in flaming each other:rolleyes:

eth01
06-02-2008, 12:58
Hmmm? Where is this happening.

scrotnig
06-02-2008, 17:52
Ok looks like last night's outage was part of a UBR upgrade, it threw me a bit as it went off a couple of hours early. So last night is all forgiven.

The upgrade has improved the speeds from around 0.2mb to around 3.5mb, which is a welcome improvement. However it's still way short of the 20mb I pay for.

I'm realistic and don't expect a constant 20mb at all times. I'll be happy if it can hit 10mb on a regular basis since realistically I won't notice any difference above that. So we aren't there yet, but strides are being made in the right direction, so I'm placated enough not to leave ntl at this point - which I'm glad about as I really *don't* want to leave, I've been a cable customer in one form or another since 1994 and I *still* believe it's the better platform for all three services. If I left ntl I'd have to ditch my V+ box due to the price it would then cost me! No! No! No! It can't be done!

Well done to the company on the upgrade work though, for any sceptics around they really do happen, it's just a question of when.

I've a tech booked for Saturday morning because in the newsgroup the techs there said my signal levels were too low. I'm not 100% sure on that as according the article on this site they seem to be within tolerance levels, but unless the speed picks up dramatically tonight or tomorrow I suppose I ought to proceed with the tech callout and see what they come up with. I doubt it's a faulty modem as it was replaced 18 months ago but....you can't rule anything out!

bigdavep
06-02-2008, 18:01
I too were told my signal levels were out by the newsgroups too. Like you they were perfectly in spec with the ideal signal levels on this site. Apparently different areas on different systems use different parameters for the ideal connection.

What are your signal levels?? I'm not too far away from you and have been told my levels are pretty much perfect. I could look at them and compare them to mine.. Might give you a better idea..

scrotnig
06-02-2008, 18:05
I too were told my signal levels were out by the newsgroups too. Like you they were perfectly in spec with the ideal signal levels on this site. Apparently different areas on different systems use different parameters for the ideal connection.

What are your signal levels?? I'm not too far away from you and have been told my levels are pretty much perfect. I could look at them and compare them to mine.. Might give you a better idea..
Thanks, I did wonder if that was the case, with so many different networks.

Here's what I have:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 5
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 33.7 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 46200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 44.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Think that's everything.

bigdavep
06-02-2008, 18:28
Acccording to the tech that came out your downstream power level sweet spot is between 6 and 8 dBmV so yours is a little low. Everything else checks out though, pretty much the same as mine..

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 1
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 35.0 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 46200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Florence
07-02-2008, 01:34
Have you checked what it says in the logs also look at the operational configeration it will say network access denied.....

I have to type this since i m on laptop not on the network pc...

upstream lock : locked
upstream channel ID : 3
upstream frequency : 42800000 Hz
upstream modulation: QPSK
upstream symbol rate: 2560 Ksym / sec
upstream transmit power level: 40.0 dBmV
upstream mini slot : 2

--------------------------------------

downstream lock : not locked
downstream channel ID : 0
downstream frequency 562750000 Hz
downstream modulation: QAM64
Downstream symbol rate: 5056.941 Ksym/ sec
downstream interleave depth taps128 increment1
downstream receive power 20.1 dBmV
downstream snr 22.1 dB

---------------------------------------

The downstream is interesting i had an engineer booked for friday since he was again saying it was the modem the call cost was £3.10....

Not 10 mins later he phoned me back to say he was canceling the engineer since they were having high number of calls from my area and it was the snr too low... mine isnt low infact like i said to him thye send the maintinance correct and take the denied off my modem my internet would work.....

Since the log keeps saying TFTP failed configeration file NOT FOUND

Sirpingalot
07-02-2008, 08:54
Have you checked what it says in the logs also look at the operational configeration it will say network access denied.....

I have to type this since i m on laptop not on the network pc...

upstream lock : locked
upstream channel ID : 3
upstream frequency : 42800000 Hz
upstream modulation: QPSK
upstream symbol rate: 2560 Ksym / sec
upstream transmit power level: 40.0 dBmV
upstream mini slot : 2

--------------------------------------

downstream lock : not locked
downstream channel ID : 0
downstream frequency 562750000 Hz
downstream modulation: QAM64
Downstream symbol rate: 5056.941 Ksym/ sec
downstream interleave depth taps128 increment1
downstream receive power 20.1 dBmV
downstream snr 22.1 dB

---------------------------------------

The downstream is interesting i had an engineer booked for friday since he was again saying it was the modem the call cost was £3.10....

Not 10 mins later he phoned me back to say he was canceling the engineer since they were having high number of calls from my area and it was the snr too low... mine isnt low infact like i said to him thye send the maintinance correct and take the denied off my modem my internet would work.....

Since the log keeps saying TFTP failed configeration file NOT FOUND

No, the SNR IS too low. Also, the downstream receive power is too high.

Florence
07-02-2008, 09:50
No, the SNR IS too low. Also, the downstream receive power is too high.

Just back online with thanks to Stuart.B from Tech support great lad called me back and went through things modfem now has access allowed and all working, even found out that somehow I was on wrong UBR so changed me over to where I should be.

Have to say it was muvh better talking to Stuart who managed to sort my modem unlike the call the evening before where they said it was an area fault.

Lets hope all stays well now but at least my internet access is allowed again.