PDA

View Full Version : Set Top Box and Cable Modem can both be used!!

tjay2
05-02-2008, 13:45
Hi

I have my internet provided through my cable modem and then into a router so I can play my xbox in the lounge and have my pc connected at the same time!

The question I have is can I hook my pc up to the set top box and then put the xbox straight into the cable modem!
Will both be able to access the internet at the same time or will this class as having to seperate accounts!!

The reason I want to do it is I lose some speeds through my router and the router firewall can sometimes cause problems on the xbox!

SO finally if i hook them up seperately can the samsung STB handle 20mb?!

Thanks in Advance
Tjay

Joxer
05-02-2008, 14:12
A big no I'm afraid, you can't use both at once and anyway the STB will only handle 1mb, try to use them on any higher speed and they just stop working, at least this is the case in ex-telewest areas.

tjay2
05-02-2008, 14:53
ive been told the STB box can handle fairly high speeds didnt know it was that bad!!!

Oh well seems I have to stick with the slower speeds through my wireless router its a bit annoying but i get a min of 8mb so shouldnt complain looking at other peoples speeds on 20mb

Jules
05-02-2008, 14:56
Some of the boxes can handle speeds of 2mb but that is the most they can do

TehTech
05-02-2008, 15:27
A big no I'm afraid, you can't use both at once and anyway the STB will only handle 1mb, try to use them on any higher speed and they just stop working, at least this is the case in ex-telewest areas.

WRONG!!

And wrong again!!

The silver Samsung SetTopBoxes CAN handle 4Mb no problems, this I know first hand as my 4Mb worked faultlessly for around a year, that is, before I wanted an upgrade to 10Mb, since then my residential Broadband internet has been nothing but problematic, so yes, Samsung STB's CAN handle upto the 4Mb.

BenMcr
05-02-2008, 15:50
WRONG!!

And wrong again!!

The silver Samsung SetTopBoxes CAN handle 4Mb no problems, this I know first hand as my 4Mb worked faultlessly for around a year, that is, before I wanted an upgrade to 10Mb, since then my residential Broadband internet has been nothing but problematic, so yes, Samsung STB's CAN handle upto the 4Mb.

The Pace boxes only do 1Mb, so anyone with a Pace box isn't getting the minimum BB M speed of 2Mb and the Samsungs can't do any higher than 5Mb, so when the BB L upgrade goes through you won't get the free increase

STB broadband is also discontinued for new sale so, unless you already have it, you can't ask for it

tjay2
05-02-2008, 17:50
Ok well i dont already have STB broadband! When I first installed i had to fight to get a modem as they wanted me to just use the STB!

So tehtech your saying I can use both?! and be online at the same time!? As far as im aware after checkin out all details this is impossible as its like having two modems and two seperate accounts?!

Joxer
05-02-2008, 17:54
tehtech was just arguing about the maximum speed on an stb, you can't use both. You could try the gaming forum for how to configure you router so your xbox work.

TehTech
05-02-2008, 18:40
tehtech was just arguing about the maximum speed on an stb, you can't use both. You could try the gaming forum for how to configure you router so your xbox work.

No, pls dont get me wrong, I wasnt arguing, just stating a fact thats all :)

tjay2
05-02-2008, 19:24
No its not that my xbox and pc dont work its just using wireless for the pc slows my speeds i was wondering if i hard wired the xbox to the STB and the pc just to the modem i would get acces to both!

Im only annoyed because I only get 8mb from my 20mb account however after reading much of the forums looks like im lucky to be getting 8mb!!!

MovedGoalPosts
05-02-2008, 19:49
Inevitably if you are sharing an internet connection between two devices (PC and Xbox, using one will affect the other. It's called contention.

Wireless will often not be as fast as wired. Local factors such as interference, distance from the router, and such like can all degrade the potential speed. That's on top of the limits of the actual broadband connection. A router too adds a "hop" to the distance packets must travel and will thus have a slight impact.

BarFly
05-02-2008, 19:55
just to be a smart **** ;) you can have both running together, you just need to pay for it twice, ie once for the modem, once for the STB :angel:

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

STB broadband is also discontinued for new sale so, unless you already have it, you can't ask for it
but it is possible to hit the box, & provide the service even if they have never had BBi through a STB before.

AndyCambs
05-02-2008, 21:04
I believe you'll find that broadband was provided through STB in ex-CWC areas only. As a process of standardisation, and the increases in speeds, broadband is no longer provided through STB, and only through modems.

So I guess the answer is two modems, but even then I suspect you would only get half the speed on each even if they sent you an extra modem

lostandconfused
05-02-2008, 21:32
Yes, it is physically possible to have stb and sacm connected at the same time.

However VM wont allow more than one BB connection per adress, doesnt matter what kind of modem it uses.

Also VM wont provision new account using a stb anymore.

So in answer to the question no you cant have the stb and sacm at the same time.

TehTech
05-02-2008, 21:50
Yes, it is physically possible to have stb and sacm connected at the same time.

So sorry to disagree again, but when I first went from 4Mb STB internet to 10Mb SACM internet, they let me keep the STB internet, actually it was for a good few weeks, good job really as I had problem after problem with the newly installed 10Mb Cable Modem unfortunately :(

BarFly
05-02-2008, 21:58
So sorry to disagree again, but when I first went from 4Mb STB internet to 10Mb SACM internet, they let me keep the STB internet, actually it was for a good few weeks, good job really as I had problem after problem with the newly installed 10Mb Cable Modem unfortunately :(

Thats cause you paid for a month in front & the disconnection date would have been a month from install & closure of code..

Ok lets put this to bed once & for all, yes it is possible, im not going to say VM dont allow it, cause it does happen, & theres still customers who have it switched on both, & it is possible on the systems, & they wont even be billed on the same account currently ( Icoms > STB, & SACM flag SABS > CM ).
But from someone who was a STB BBI tech for far too long, dont bother, not worth the hassle of running it through STB, too many issues with crashing, concurrent connections & restricted speed & lan card issues in the box's.

TehTech
05-02-2008, 22:04
Thats cause you paid for a month in front & the disconnection date would have been a month from install & closure of code..

Ok lets put this to bed once & for all, yes it is possible, im not going to say VM dont allow it, cause it does happen, & theres still customers who have it switched on both, & it is possible on the systems, & they wont even be billed on the same account currently ( Icoms > STB, & SACM flag SABS > CM ).
But from someone who was a STB BBI tech for far too long, dont bother, not worth the hassle of running it through STB, too many issues with crashing, concurrent connections & restricted speed & lan card issues in the box's.

Nope, I did not inform them of STB disconnection UNTIL the Cable Modem was half stable, around 2-3 months after, so as was said before, I had BOTH STB AND Cable modem internet AT ONCE, and the STB internet performance was MUCH better, in fact, I;d love to go back to 4Mb through the Samsung, but lo & behold, I dont have it no more :(

xpod
05-02-2008, 22:25
just to be a smart **** you can have both running together, you just need to pay for it twice, ie once for the modem, once for the STB

Unless your me:angel:
I pay once for my 20Mb sacm....just.Plus i also have the 1Mb pace stb BB...that i pay nothing for.

Had that STB BB since first upgrading to a 4MB sacm well over a year ago now.
Was actually led to believe it was a freebie from NTL for inconvenience caused at the time.
A complete whopper in hindsight:rolleyes:

BBKing
05-02-2008, 22:26

I've had a 10Mb Pace on test and Samsungs can almost certainly do 20Mb, since they have a 100Mb ethernet port. Paces are 10Mb limited by the port.

*However* the issue is reliability. Since STBs are primarily designed for watching TV on the broadband side of them inevitably has to compete for resources and development, thus suffering*. Combine that with the well-established and very cheap market for good quality standalone modems that concentrate on doing one job very well and it's a no brainer.

* It doesn't help that the received wisdom in VM (and it's right, too) is that people will tolerate broadband issues more readily than, say, a crashing TV box or a blocking picture, or the sound dropping out. Expectations are different, so yoking them together on the same kit is a bad idea.