PDA

View Full Version : Waiting period for porting number from BT to Virgin....

dmarook
30-01-2008, 23:31
Hello all,

I recently moved house and have now subscribed to VM BB and Phone package. I have been so far and still am a BT customer as well. I called up VM customer service to port my BT no. to Virgin a few weeks back so that I can stop the BT service. He took my details including my old address and said it may take a few weeks.

Any one have any idea what the current waiting period is? Thanks in advance.

Quam256
31-01-2008, 06:39
Number port around 7 to 10 days.

dmarook
31-01-2008, 09:15
Hmmm. It's definitely been more than ten days. I'll try calling them back. Thanks for the reply.

BenMcr
01-02-2008, 00:00
Hello all,

I recently moved house and have now subscribed to VM BB and Phone package. I have been so far and still am a BT customer as well. I called up VM customer service to port my BT no. to Virgin a few weeks back so that I can stop the BT service. He took my details including my old address and said it may take a few weeks.

Any one have any idea what the current waiting period is? Thanks in advance.

At any point when a number port is arranged it should either happen the day the services are installed, or you should have a confirmed date after install.

At no point should you not know when it will happen

The usual port period is 7-10 days, however it all depends on avaliable points for porting. This is based on everything being done right first time. If not, it can take up to a month. Either way you should know

dmarook
01-02-2008, 21:53
Oh boy, this is getting a bit messy. Spoke to one Cust Serve chap who said that there was no evidence that I had requested a number port. So then he tried to do it and came back and said that my number can't be ported. Odd thing is it actually is originally a NTL number which I had ported to BT a few years back. The guy said that he was going to try something else and was going to email some other department and will get back to me in a couple of days. This is starting to look like a farce. If I don't hear anything by Monday, I am pulling the plug on my virgin phone.

BenMcr
02-02-2008, 00:01
That would be what is called a 'Return to Donor'. They are slightly more complicated, but they can be done

colin-bennett
02-02-2008, 06:46
That would be what is called a 'Return to Donor'. They are slightly more complicated, but they can be done

Most cust care staff do not have training in RTD which is perhaps why you having this problem. However some do..
Next time you call do ask if rep has training in RTD and if not can they pass you thru to some one who has.
Once your order is placed you will be given a date for porting the number.
Let us know how you get on.

Kymmy
03-02-2008, 10:40
But you said tha you recently moved house...... Have you moved out of the area for that number?? Even a few streets away could mean connection to a different subset of the same dailing code.

My mother in law recently moved from just outside Luton to Inner Luton, although the numbers all start 01582 she was told by BT that they couldn't transfer the number. Irrelavant in the end as BT wanted £120+ for the install and VM wanted £20 so guess who now has the contract :)

dmarook
03-02-2008, 20:01
Well, BT has promptly provided me with the same number and looking at my new BT account No. I seem to be still under the same exchange. So, I think it should not be a issue for Virgin provided I am lucky enough to get through to someone who knows what he/she is doing. I will try talking to them in the next couple of days.

colin-bennett
03-02-2008, 21:45
Well, BT has promptly provided me with the same number and looking at my new BT account No. I seem to be still under the same exchange. So, I think it should not be a issue for Virgin provided I am lucky enough to get through to someone who knows what he/she is doing. I will try talking to them in the next couple of days.

As I said let us know how you get on as their are people who use this forum who may be able to help.

dmarook
04-02-2008, 18:37
As I said let us know how you get on as their are people who use this forum who may be able to help.

Thanks. I'll keep you guys posted.

dmarook
05-02-2008, 12:16
Had some better luck today. Spoke to Cust Surv and now I have a date for the port. It should happen on the 26th of this month which is a bit longer than what I was expecting but as long as it happens on that day I'll be happy.

Let's wait and see.....

colin-bennett
05-02-2008, 19:40
Had some better luck today. Spoke to Cust Surv and now I have a date for the port. It should happen on the 26th of this month which is a bit longer than what I was expecting but as long as it happens on that day I'll be happy.

Let's wait and see.....

So you were told a time slot for the engineer to call. ???

dmarook
06-02-2008, 11:54
So you were told a time slot for the engineer to call. ???

Not really. Just the date. I have both BT and Virgin phone active at my house now. The lady I spoke to said that I do not need to let BT know. They will do everything and my BT line would stop working as soon at the numbet is transferred to Virgin on that day. Why would an engineer need to come to my house? I thought it's all done at the exchange.

BenMcr
06-02-2008, 23:51
It is.

colin-bennett
08-02-2008, 00:26
Not really. Just the date. I have both BT and Virgin phone active at my house now. The lady I spoke to said that I do not need to let BT know. They will do everything and my BT line would stop working as soon at the numbet is transferred to Virgin on that day. Why would an engineer need to come to my house? I thought it's all done at the exchange.

It has been some time since I did an active active port and I do know the process has changed several times..
However I still have friends in cust care and I will check this for you,
The changes req to return a number or bring accross a BT number involve much more than changes to 1 exchange..
Much of this is done by facilities / ports departments. However a tech is still required at the cab unless this has changed recently and we no longer book techs for the first part of the port process.
Perhaps BenMcr is more up to date with active / active ports than myself.

Quam256
08-02-2008, 07:19
The way it used to be was a tech would get sent out to make sure the virgin line was on at a the house and the number was correct.Then the technichian would phone through and get the number ported.You should be ok as long as they dont make any changes on the system .

dmarook
08-02-2008, 21:30
The way it used to be was a tech would get sent out to make sure the virgin line was on at a the house and the number was correct.Then the technichian would phone through and get the number ported.You should be ok as long as they dont make any changes on the system .

I hope so. Will have to wait and see what happens.

BenMcr
09-02-2008, 00:48
It has been some time since I did an active active port and I do know the process has changed several times..
However I still have friends in cust care and I will check this for you,
The changes req to return a number or bring accross a BT number involve much more than changes to 1 exchange..
Much of this is done by facilities / ports departments. However a tech is still required at the cab unless this has changed recently and we no longer book techs for the first part of the port process.
Perhaps BenMcr is more up to date with active / active ports than myself.

Transferring a number from a active BT line to an active Virgin line takes 2 orders. One to order the transfer. One to disconnect the Virgin number. Nothing too complicated

If the number with BT was originally a ntl/telewest/virgin number, things get slightly more complicated after install, but still shouldn't take more than 10 days

The only time a tech is involved with a number port is if it is done as part of the install.

If there is already an active Virgin line with a temporary number and a dial tone, no tech is required

As it is ICOMS (the billing system) will get it right 100% of the time as long as person booking the port on gets it right (and the other line remains active until the port has been confirmed)

VM2B
13-02-2008, 08:03
Can I ask guys, we have had a RTD done and tech is meant to come out and transfer the BT number (which was a telewest number) back to Virgin.

Apparently this will happen smoothly, and on the day, is that right? Virgin said this will happen this week, whereas BT say virgin say it will be done at the end of the month which is when they will end the contract...?

BenMcr
13-02-2008, 14:54
Can I ask guys, we have had a RTD done and tech is meant to come out and transfer the BT number (which was a telewest number) back to Virgin.

Apparently this will happen smoothly, and on the day, is that right? Virgin said this will happen this week, whereas BT say virgin say it will be done at the end of the month which is when they will end the contract...?

The tech will only visit if a physical install is being done. If it just a number change it is being done remotely.

The change will happen the day Virgin say it will. The BT date is usually around 10-14 days later of the actual port itself, which is their notice period

dmarook
26-02-2008, 23:28
It seem to have gone through smoothly. Returned from work and called my BT number and my Virgin set started ringing. :D

Big thanks to everyone who posted on this thread.