PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting the 300/300 sim card

djmagnifique
24-01-2008, 23:36
And i've got a few questions.

1. If you choose to get it on pay as you go do you get a card you can use to top up with or can you get one from a shop?

2. Do you have to top up before a certain date each month to get and maintain the 300/300 offer or will you still get it if you top up late?

3. how easy is it to port my number over from my current provider and who would I need to email about it?

cheers.

Shaun
25-01-2008, 00:12
1) No - you have to get it from the site. :)
2)Yes. you have to have the money on by the anaversary date - then they take the £10 off. If you forget to top up - they will add the bungle to your sim again when you ahve the money on.
3) Dead easy - get the PAC from your current supplier - ring them - they'll sort it out.

It's a great text and calls offer but be aware of the GPRS charges :)

Great One
31-01-2008, 16:58
Does look like a very good deal, i'm contracted to Vodafone untill the end of May, or I would've got this now

Didn't realise it was top-ups though, I thought they would just add a tenner to your overall bill, and add the allowances every month automatically like normal contracts?

chickendippers
31-01-2008, 18:01
I'm on this and you just get a bill every month; like being on a contract except there's no minimum term. I don't know where all this talk of topping up comes from?

dilli-theclaw
31-01-2008, 18:16
I'm on this and you just get a bill every month; like being on a contract except there's no minimum term. I don't know where all this talk of topping up comes from?Probably from the pay as you go version I guess.

jailhouse
08-02-2008, 16:33
I use the 2x300 package and it is excellent (about the only thing VM have got right), and i believe the "top up" analogy has arisen from when customers have set up a restriction on a phone (say parents setting a maximum £20 spend on their phone) you receive a text message stating the allowance has been used, you can then "top up" using the supplied card or buy a voucher.

Hope that has cleared up any doubts.

jh

Shaun
08-02-2008, 16:56
I use the 2x300 package and it is excellent (about the only thing VM have got right), and i believe the "top up" analogy has arisen from when customers have set up a restriction on a phone (say parents setting a maximum £20 spend on their phone) you receive a text message stating the allowance has been used, you can then "top up" using the supplied card or buy a voucher.

Hope that has cleared up any doubts.

jh

No because you're wrong. They do both a contract and a PAYG version. I use the PAYG and on a set date the min and text are added to your account and £10 is taken from your cash balance that's all.

Nothing to do with limits. :)

snazzy
02-03-2008, 12:58
How many of these cards can I get. I may need 3 for now?

dave_dph
02-03-2008, 18:44
No because you're wrong. They do both a contract and a PAYG version. I use the PAYG and on a set date the min and text are added to your account and £10 is taken from your cash balance that's all.

Nothing to do with limits. :)

The sim only version isn't really a contract. It's pay as you go with the 300 + 300 cable bundle added on, the monthly payment is taken by direct debit - unless you choose the top ups route.

You are free to leave at any time, no contract.

Jules
02-03-2008, 20:09
How many of these cards can I get. I may need 3 for now?

I may be wrong but I think you are limited to two

snazzy
03-03-2008, 10:22
I may be wrong but I think you are limited to two

Mm, well that's better than just one. I'll ring nearer the time. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

I believe they do roll over as well, so answer me this please. If I have 300/300 and one use 100/100 for the first month. Do I then get 500/500 next month? If so, and I use less then 500/500 month will I always have roll over min's and texts? 300 texts for me is insane, I'd never ever use them. Currently I'm on 3 and use about 300 of my 500 min's sometimes a bit more, so I'm hoping to be able to use only a bit the first month, so technically I should always have some rollover, cos' I'll always have some from the prior month unused. I think that makes sense.

chickendippers
03-03-2008, 11:03
Yes it does rollover for 1 month (unlike sim only offers from other providers). So if you used 0 txts and minutes in the first month you can have 600 of each the next month.

brianivor
06-03-2008, 12:02
I have all the other VM services but have an 02 PAYG mobile phone.
To take advantage of the 300/300 SIM offer, will my phone need unlocking?

Also, could someone please clarify the rollover situation for me - I understand that unused minutes in month 1 are carried over into month 2, but what happens at the beginning of month 3?

Do you start again with just 300/300 mins or do they deduct the mins unused in month 1, so in month 3 you just have the month 3 mins plus the mins unused in month 2 only?

I hope that makes sense!

Oh, and just a general thank you to all the regular guys on the Forum who provide so much help to us ignorant types...............:dunce:

bmxbandit
06-03-2008, 13:14
Do you start again with just 300/300 mins or do they deduct the mins unused in month 1, so in month 3 you just have the month 3 mins plus the mins unused in month 2 only?

for me, they just add on 300 of each, each month, and if it's over 600 then it gets capped to 600. this works out marginally better in some circumstances than what you described :)

King Of Fools
06-03-2008, 14:21
I have all the other VM services but have an 02 PAYG mobile phone.
To take advantage of the 300/300 SIM offer, will my phone need unlocking?
As most O2 PAYG phones are locked it seems highly likely that you will have to have it unlocked.

snazzy
06-03-2008, 16:48
for me, they just add on 300 of each, each month, and if it's over 600 then it gets capped to 600. this works out marginally better in some circumstances than what you described :)

Sounds good to me. use as little as possible the first month. Then month one remainder goes into month two. Month three I presume wipes month one but gives anything left from month two. The cap seems reasonable as well. Oh well. Four months of 3 network to go.

bmxbandit
06-03-2008, 16:54
Month three I presume wipes month one but gives anything left from month two.
Don't think so - I think you just get 300 added, and limited to 600. I'm not sure my bundled minutes have ever dropped below 300 (after the first month, obviously), and rarely do my bundled texts...

King Of Fools
06-03-2008, 17:24
I think everybody is sort of right...

but look at it this way:
- in any given month you get 300
- you can carry over a maximum of 300 to the next month
- therefore, the maximum you could ever have in any given month is 600

snazzy
06-03-2008, 18:42
Yeah, think I got it now.

brianivor
06-03-2008, 19:38
Thank you for your helpful replies - one last question then, what is the best way to get the phone unlocked and will the 02 welcome screen be replaced by a Virgin screen? (sorry, two questions)

King Of Fools
06-03-2008, 22:45
Thank you for your helpful replies - one last question then, what is the best way to get the phone unlocked and will the 02 welcome screen be replaced by a Virgin screen? (sorry, two questions)
Depends on the phone (both questions).

If you have a Nokia sometimes these can be unlocked free by using codes generated on the internet. If not then you can usually pay for the phone to be unlocked (either in a local phone shop or by ringing and asking O2 direct).

You may get a Virgin welcome screen or keep the O2 one or even get both!

snazzy
07-03-2008, 10:18
Can u tel me how many cards are available.I may need 4 or 5.

It says above, "Two." I need three myself, but I guess until we ring and ask you won't know. Also. If Virgin mobile is anything like any of the other Virgin services, what one person says doesn't automatically mean that's he right and or only answer. You may get better results ringing and asking again the next day or even later the same day.

sbunby
12-03-2008, 14:06
Does anybody know what the charges are for sending a picture message on the 300/300 card?

And also how the roaming charges compare with other tariffs and networks?

Thanks in advance

Shaun
12-03-2008, 19:07
sbunby, they're the same as they are on their normal tariffs - see www.virginmobile.co.uk :)

snazzy
12-03-2008, 20:02
I'm gonna stick my old Virgin sim card in this W810i. Last time I used a Virgin sim it was always searching and doing something. Used to flatten my Nokia quite fast. So, there will be testing before buying I think.

confucious
16-03-2008, 12:25
Virgin, I believe, use T-Mobile's network so if you have T reception you should be fine.
£10 for 300/300 is a great deal, pity the odd pic messaging isn't included as well though.
Also, does anyone know charges for 0800/0845/0970 numbers?
The only thing stopping me getting one of these now is the fact that te web site is asking for my Virgin account number! Why, when I'm already logged in? Presumably it''s on a bill somewhere but why do they make it so difficult?
Found my account number on a bill, went all through the site having to enter all my details again. got to confirm order and got
OOPS...

We're having a few technical problems at the moment. Our team are onto it and we're working as fast as we can to fix it.
- They really don't believe in making it easy!

confucious
16-03-2008, 14:46
Despite the error mesage my order has gone through....

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

And I've answered my own question about additional charges see here. (http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?contentId=payasyougo.tariff.howd oi.sm131)But still unsure about 0800 numbers - I assume these do not count as 'landline' numbers so are charged at 10p per minute all the time?

Also, incase anyone misses it - check out Note 5 down the bottom - not all 0870 numbers are the same now - another good reason to use Say No to 0870! (http://www.saynoto0870.com)

Rik
16-03-2008, 15:28
It's a great text and calls offer but be aware of the GPRS charges :)

Im on this deal and must say its the steal of the century.

Have to agree with Shaun tho, that GPRS charges on the Virgin network are a completely out of date and ridiculously expensive, i hear rumblings tho that there are bundles coming out soon.

We will have to wait and see.

confucious
16-03-2008, 17:18
Luckily my partner doesn't need GPRS (and it's for her). My main contract is with T-Mob and I pay £20.56 for Flext35 (upto 900mins or 1800 texts) and W'n'W Plus (3Gb FUP) so I can't complain...

snazzy
29-03-2008, 15:51
Oh well, Virgin, guess you just lost a few more customers with your change of tariff.

confucious
29-03-2008, 16:06
Oh well, Virgin, guess you just lost a few more customers with your change of tariff.

What change of tariff? How have they lost customers? Can you get a better deal than 300 mins and 300 texts for a tenner a month?

snazzy
29-03-2008, 16:11
They killed the rollover.

Bashy
14-04-2008, 10:25
Have to agree with Shaun tho, that GPRS charges on the Virgin network are a completely out of date and ridiculously expensive, i hear rumblings tho that there are bundles coming out soon.

We will have to wait and see.

I currently do not do enough SMS and Voice to warrent £10.00 a month.
I would like to do a little MMSing and GPRS internet browsing, but it looks like that is billed outside of the 300SMS/Mins.

So it looks like PAYG may be my best option.

But these Rumblings have me intersted, anyone know any more ?

Cheers Bashy...

bluecandylover
17-04-2008, 16:02
I'd love to be on Virgin's Mobile network - Just T-Mobile/Virgin has EXTREAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMLY poor reception where I live, to get one bar you have to stand on chairs upstairs (tuff luck if your downstairs).

osinac
19-04-2008, 18:49
I'm also thinking of getting the 300/300 sim card, but I hear the coverage is not as good as other service providers. Any comments?

djmagnifique
19-04-2008, 21:45
I used to be on 02 and there is a slight difference in rural areas around where i live but still get signal in 99% of places I got to (I work as a postman covering holidays so go to different areas every week).

If your wanting to 300/300 deal you had better move quickly http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/93/33631703-new-tariffs-for-virgin-media-customers.html has the new pricing/package structure

snazzy
19-04-2008, 21:55
I live in Manchester. I worked in Urmston which is about 3.5 miles from where I live, and that's about 8 miles from the city centre. My first mobile was with Virgin. The reception out and about was above average. I did find a few place in Manchester where the phone tended to be searching for signal.

In the shop where I worked, the phone almost died when I entered. It was not possible to make or take calls there. Orange and Vodaphone both worked fine with a full signal.

I now use Orange and Three. Both of these are excellent. I did notice whilst using Virgin that the phone needed charging a lot more.

Hope this helps.

confucious
19-04-2008, 23:06
Virgin use T-Mobile's network. If you get T reception you will get Virgin. If you don't get reception and your phone is eearching all the time then your battery life will be worse - it's the searching that's the problem, if you have reception your battery life will be the same as any other network.

snazzy
19-04-2008, 23:21
That's why I've mentioned the searching in my post. :-)

michael123
21-04-2008, 13:20
Yes it does rollover for 1 month

BenMcr
21-04-2008, 17:56
No it doesn't rollover

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/93/33630602-virgin-mobile-min-texts-300-300-a.html

It also becomes 200/200 if you take it out after the 12 May

billc
23-04-2008, 11:06
Hi

Roll over facility is being removed from May / June.

Still think it is good for £10.00

Regs

billc

bikeman
02-05-2008, 22:06
Hi

Roll over facility is being removed from May / June.

Still think it is good for £10.00

Regs

billc

Rollover ended 28th April.

confucious
03-05-2008, 10:07
[QUOTE=bikeman;34543359]Rollover ended 28th April.[/QUOTE

But as my partner never gets anywhere near 300 mins or texts it's still a bargain for her at a tenner a month - on PAYG 100 texts would cost you that unless you're on a text plan in which case a few voice mins would push you over. For a light user it is still the best available, but everyone's needs are different.

Hector's House
09-05-2008, 20:26
I've been looking at this deal too, I pay a subscription for an online game using my current Tesco PAYG phone which is just taken off my credit, would I be charged extra for doing this or would they just take it off say my text allowance? I'm assuming I'd be charged extra for at the moment