PDA

View Full Version : Automated call changed my 1471 accent?!

Stiles
23-01-2008, 19:12
Hi,

I just had a call from an automated service, an American accent announced "Congratulations, you have been selected" then the call cut out. I hung up and dialled 1471 and the voice was no longer the English lady, but an American accent... I dialled my number from my mobile and hung up and now the English lady is back.

How can an automated call alter my 1471 settings? Is this something truly malicious?

... the other thing is I'm ex-directory, how can an automated dialling routine locate me?

Best wishes,
Stiles

BenMcr
23-01-2008, 19:57
Usually by sequence dialling lol.

If they were being really sneaky, then you putting the phone down wouldn't have disconnected the call. when you picked it up and dialled 1471, it was still the people that dialled you. never seen that pretend to be a 1471 service though

Stiles
23-01-2008, 20:00
Usually by sequence dialling lol.

If they were being really sneaky, then you putting the phone down wouldn't have disconnected the call. when you picked it up and dialled 1471, it was still the people that dialled you. never seen that pretend to be a 1471 service though

lol, okay good call!

I take it this is nothing to worry about, I'm having trouble working out what incentive there is for anyone to do it as I don't believe I can be made to pay for an incoming call... it's this uncertainty that is worrying me, am I missing something? Do you know what the point of this sort of thing is?

Cheers,
Stiles.

Kymmy
24-01-2008, 09:10
Sign up to this website (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/) (VM have a link to it on thier own website (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/telephone/?category=portal&app=helpphone#tps))

It's service that I used before I got virgin when we had BT and dropped 99% of automated/unwanted callers. It'll take a few months to filter through to the lists.

I've just done it again on my new VM phone as I keep getting auto messages but as there is a limited amount of numbers going around I presume someone else had it before me. Too ealy to tell if TPS has had any effect yet as I only did it last week.

Kymmy

Angua
24-01-2008, 09:49
And this service doesn't cover calls from outside the UK :dozey: Does save a whole load of carp calls though. :D