PDA

View Full Version : Sky + box in bits

doctorstrop
20-01-2008, 17:09
Hi,

I hope someone can help. I just want to know what a Sky + box would do if the Harddrive was removed, would I be able to progress past standby.

The reason I ask is because I tried to check my Harddrive on my PC, and I could not get my BIOS to even recognise it, so I guess the drive has had it.

Could I use a spare 20GB disk temporarily til a new drive was ordered.

Someone PLEASE HELP as MY WIFE IS really DOING MY HEAD IN about not being able to watch her girly s***.

Cheers

Andy

Ben B
20-01-2008, 20:08
Could I use a spare 20GB disk temporarily til a new drive was ordered.

I think you could as the early sky+ boxes only had 40GB hard disks in them so I don't se what harm a smaller hard disk will do apart from reduce how much you can record.

:)~Ben B~:)

Tricky
20-01-2008, 20:35
Thought the SKY OS (software) took a fair old slice of the drive?

doctorstrop
20-01-2008, 21:06
Just so you know, the 20gb harddrive in the box didn't work. Like the previous poster suggested, I think the drive might be too small (although sky state themselves that 80gb is for recordings, and the rest is for Sky Anytime).

I have sorted it in the end by having a couple of cans of beer and phoning sky up half-cut!!! I threatened them that I was not happy spending £65 on a product that could fail in 91 days and leave me requiring another £65 shell out. So if they charge me I'm going to Virgin who charge £2 less (20mb broadband and phone, virgin recoder box and second normal box) and although they no longer have sky one I wouldn't miss the single new episode out of the 30 odd simpsons they show a week, nor "smarter than a 10 year old".

They have booked an engineer to come out a fix it free of charge. My Sky + box is out of warrenty and mine, so they can't kick off about me hacking it open either. My Mrs is now happy!

Just so you know my sky + box is a pvr 3 pace, and I have had it since Augst 2005. Hope this helps anyone

Cheers

Andy
:tu: :tu: :tu: