PDA

View Full Version : Repositioning BT master socket

RDDearing
13-01-2008, 16:14
Our BT line (which is not in use as we are on VM) comes underground to a grey box outside the window. From there, a cable runs around the edge of the house and then through the wall to the master socket. We now want to put a door where the socket is and my question is, am I allowed to cut the cable back and repunch the socket or do I have to pay some crazy amount to have BT come out and move a socket I don't use?

Paul K
13-01-2008, 18:28
It's not yours to tamper with I'm afraid, the master socket and anything between it and the exchange is BT property. If you do it and it goes wrong then you will definately know about it as it will cost you for an engineer call out.
If you do it and it works and nothing goes wrong then BT will never know, if you ever have to call BT you may have problems.
That's your choice ;)

LSainsbury
14-01-2008, 15:01
As Paul said - BT own everything up to and including the master socket. Anything inside your property is called CPE - Customer Premises Equipment.

Paul K
14-01-2008, 17:41
Not completely correct, only a small point but.... anything your side of the master socket is CPE, up to master socket is BTs equipment.

RDDearing
14-01-2008, 20:04
Cheers guys - I have no issue with the work itself - part of an average day for me - was just confirming what I suspected about the politics...

progers
15-01-2008, 22:40
Moved the socket? No Guv, it was done when I moved in.

Get the message? Who would ever know as long as you know what you are doing?