PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth getting our wii online?

Woolly One
03-01-2008, 19:22
As the title suggests that is the question. The next question is what type of set-up do we use? After re-reading the wii instruction manual(yet again!), it's still unclear to me (getting old).

Our desktop is wired to the modem via USB running @ 4mb(sometimes). The wii is in the next room. The way I figure it (hopefully). is that I would need the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector and hope that it would transmit through two brick walls.

Anyone help please - But my main question is - Is it worth doing?

:)

ikthius
03-01-2008, 19:58
I have my wii connected through wireless router.

My computer is next to the modem and router, and wii is upstairs in my room, the wii is set up to go wireless.

and I must say it is ok. getting wii messages at night everything goes blue

ik

edit: there is not a lot of titles to go online with, but no doubt more will be made for it. but there is other things you can do online. like shop, send and recieve messages, play other games like the mii challenge thing (cant remember what its called, but you make a mii up for a particular type of person, and see if you made one to what was best) your vote is online, weather channel, news update...... so on

Halcyon
04-01-2008, 19:04
I'd definately get it online.....not only for patches and new firmware that comes out, but to download demos and mini games as they come out.

gc10360
07-02-2008, 17:44
There's Nothing worth getting it online for bar a few firmware updates and competitions, unless you want to use the VC.
Maybe when mario Kart comes out it will be a different story.

spanna
07-02-2008, 18:03
there are some sites with free games on like http://www.wiiarcade.com/ which can be fun and a bit different if you are bored with the games you have.

browsing the web is ball achingly slow as you have to pick the letters to type in your searches and addresses

zooming round the world getting the weather is amusing first time you do it

my daughter loves the virtual console - she had been thinking of getting a 2nd hand n64 and a copy of pokemon snap - then she found it on virtual console downloaded it and was playing it immediately

Overall i'm not sure I'd go out and get a wireless router just for your wii, but if you have a router you'd be daft not to use it

TehTech
13-03-2008, 18:34
I got mine online with only a tiny hitch, but apart from that it has been ok!

First thing that was done was setup WiiConnect24, then downloaded the update for wii, downloaded the 2 free titles (Everybody votes and the other was that wiiMe game that was talked about above, all this took less time to set up than setting up my PC's to access the net, and DON'T believe what people say, you DONT need to buy a USB WiiWifi adaptor, there is 1 already built-in, and it even works on WPA2 Personal too, so more than happy!

Just need to figure out how to stream media from my PC through it now :)

Gareth
13-03-2008, 22:04
I'd say it's worth doing... you'll only have minimal financial outlay but it's worth doing, not least for the Virtual Console games.

Playing Guitar Hero 3 online is also fab :cool: as is Mario Strikers Charged. Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros: Brawl are both online titles, and from all reports in Japan & the US, it works very well (with the exception of Nintendo's daft friend code system).

hoggie
20-04-2008, 02:36
get WiFi router and get on-line its the mutz nutz.

i have the 20mb connection and its flawless, no lag what so ever

Itshim
22-04-2009, 13:07
I got mine online with only a tiny hitch, but apart from that it has been ok!

First thing that was done was setup WiiConnect24, then downloaded the update for wii, downloaded the 2 free titles (Everybody votes and the other was that wiiMe game that was talked about above, all this took less time to set up than setting up my PC's to access the net, and DON'T believe what people say, you DONT need to buy a USB WiiWifi adaptor, there is 1 already built-in, and it even works on WPA2 Personal too, so more than happy!

Just need to figure out how to stream media from my PC through it now :)

Can you run this by me in simple terms. Have modem wired to PC - Unplug & reboot it -is that what you are saying? :erm:

moiraf100
27-04-2009, 13:28
To stream you need a programme called Orb. http://www.orb.com/
Create an account on your pc and open the programme, then log on to the account through the wii (you need the internet browser on the wii). The programme will then pick whatever you want it to from your pc.
I didn't find the streaming very good for watching films though.

Itshim
08-05-2009, 11:17
(you need the internet browser on the wii).

Sorry being thick what do you mean ?

Just looked at Orb. Are you saying this could be used to connect the Wii to the internet via the PC. As I read it (see above ) it will send to the Wii.Not let the Wii use the internet via PC

EvilD
05-07-2009, 11:42
Wii onlie is great mario kart is definately worth playing my kids love ths as they regualy play against their friends and other family memebers online.
I had no issues getting onlien was smoother than silk setup.

Woolly One
20-07-2009, 14:30
Yeh - finally did it - our Wii is online. Only took a year and a half to get round to it. Still havn't told the wife that now have a wireless router as opposed to just wired.:angel: - Thinks she figured it out though, as kids are now Karting round the world.

Question - re Mario Kart - When the kids play online, they search for players, which can take a bit of time. sometimes even when Nintendo WFC has chosen the players, the connection will be dropped before the race.

Is this a problem at our end or an SEP? (Somebody Elses Problem).

As far as I can tell the new router - Buffalo Nfiniti (WHR-G300N) is working fine. As the other (wired) desktops still have connection when that drops.

Other than that, I just wish I got around to doing it before.:)

12noon
26-07-2009, 15:12
I've not played Mario Kart for ages but it used to be good online without much lag and without dropping.
;)
I play everyone votes on the Wii and watch the video's of new games. I'm playing Wii Sports Resort <not online> at the moment.