PDA

View Full Version : 1571 strange instructions

SilverLady
21-12-2007, 20:04
A few days ago I had a strange experience when using 1571. I've watched the cableforum site since then to see if anyone else got the same message as I did, but nothing has come up, so it's still preying on my mind.

I lifted phone to make call and got beeping indicating message on 1571, so dialled 1571 and was told there was one message. No message, only sound, so I assumed someone had hung up when asked to leave message. Then came the instructions giving numbers to select. I noticed these numbers were different ie 1, 2, 3, and 4. I selected 2 to discard the message and hung up. Later I lifted the phone again and beeping was still there. I dialled 1571 again with the same result, but this time after dialling 2 to discard I hung on and got a recorded voice message 'I don't understand this command'. After this came a silence and then the usual choice of numbers 3, 5 and 7 (I think), so I chose the number to discard and got the message 'message discarded' as usual. Number 4 in the message options was unusual, something to do with getting more information on using text with landline phones.

I was then worried that the unusual numbers may have been the actual message left and I had accessed some premium number by dialling 2, so I phoned Virgin and was told that they had not changed the option numbers on 1571 and they would make a note on my account in case of future problems.

Has this happened to anyone else?

on in an hour!
21-12-2007, 21:18
A few days ago I had a strange experience when using 1571. I've watched the cableforum site since then to see if anyone else got the same message as I did, but nothing has come up, so it's still preying on my mind.

I lifted phone to make call and got beeping indicating message on 1571, so dialled 1571 and was told there was one message. No message, only sound, so I assumed someone had hung up when asked to leave message. Then came the instructions giving numbers to select. I noticed these numbers were different ie 1, 2, 3, and 4. I selected 2 to discard the message and hung up. Later I lifted the phone again and beeping was still there. I dialled 1571 again with the same result, but this time after dialling 2 to discard I hung on and got a recorded voice message 'I don't understand this command'. After this came a silence and then the usual choice of numbers 3, 5 and 7 (I think), so I chose the number to discard and got the message 'message discarded' as usual. Number 4 in the message options was unusual, something to do with getting more information on using text with landline phones.

I was then worried that the unusual numbers may have been the actual message left and I had accessed some premium number by dialling 2, so I phoned Virgin and was told that they had not changed the option numbers on 1571 and they would make a note on my account in case of future problems.

Has this happened to anyone else?
best thing to do is to have the datafill on your line removed then added back,this could be a simple thing to do,unfortunately (and in my experience with similar problems) the indian call centres seem unable to deal with this.best thing you can do is ring up faults on 150,explain your predicament,they wont have a clue what your on about,which will generate a tech visit,when the tech arrives he can make a call to the switch people,do as ive said above,and all your problems will be over (i think) :D

SilverLady
22-12-2007, 17:01
Thanks, I've made a note of this advice. I had another 1571 message this morning from my sister, but this was completely normal with usual numbered instructions.

colin-bennett
24-12-2007, 02:02
if the voice mail was working as is still working now data fill is not the issue.

There are several reasons the system gets confused with but in general it is fairly stable.
One amusing complaint used to be people complaining that they had been charged for a call which was their own tel number, this ocured as people used to phone their own number to see if the VM was working and as such when connected to the VM they were charged and the number they dialed was of course their own.