PDA

View Full Version : Help moving from Virgin to BT.

cwilding
21-12-2007, 12:55
Hi,

I've made the decision to move my services to SKY. I have SKY+ and multiroom and want to upgrade this to SKY HD. To increase my chances of a good deal and to consolidate all my billing I want to move my broadband and telephone calls (not so worried about line rental) to SKY.

However, I haven't had a BT line for about 18 months, I used to have a residential PSTN line and a Home Highway in my office and all the infrastrcuture is still in place, nothing got stripped out.

When I spoke to BT they want £125 to reconnect me as they claim they need to have an engineer out. Is there any wise people out there who could advise me of a route to take or an approach with BT that might get me the installation for free? I'd be happy for an 18 month contract for line rental if necessary?

Thanks

CW.

PeteTheMusicGuy
21-12-2007, 13:52
As far as i'm aware it's 125 for the reconnection and also if you want the highway connected they will have to send somone out to convert it to PSTN anyway

Mace
21-12-2007, 17:38
Hi,

I've made the decision to move my services to SKY. I have SKY+ and multiroom and want to upgrade this to SKY HD. To increase my chances of a good deal and to consolidate all my billing I want to move my broadband and telephone calls (not so worried about line rental) to SKY.

However, I haven't had a BT line for about 18 months, I used to have a residential PSTN line and a Home Highway in my office and all the infrastrcuture is still in place, nothing got stripped out.

When I spoke to BT they want £125 to reconnect me as they claim they need to have an engineer out. Is there any wise people out there who could advise me of a route to take or an approach with BT that might get me the installation for free? I'd be happy for an 18 month contract for line rental if necessary?

Thanks

CW.
I doubt they would charge that as the wire is there it used to be 10 quid

From their site:-

If you have a BT line and want to switch your calls back from another provider

If you have a line with BT and currently get your calls from another provider, then switching your calls to BT couldn't be easier.
Switch your calls back to BT now (http://www.bt.com/freeyear)
Switch your calls and line to BT from all other telephone providers

If you have your line with another telephone company and want to reconnect to BT switching couldn't be easier.
Switch your line and calls back to BT now (http://www.bt.com/freeyear)
Switch your calls and line to BT from a Cable provider

If you currently have service with a Cable provider please call us on 0808 100 5152. Please have your cable account number & your credit card ready when you call. Don't forget to ask about our great offer to get FREE Evening & Weekend calls for a year.
No telephone provider at all

If you don't currently have a telephone provider, please visit our New Lines page (http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayCategory.do?categoryId=CON-NEW-LINE-R1).
Reconnect a BT line

If you don’t have a telephone provider and believe your property once had a BT line that has been disconnected, simply look for a white BT phone socket on your wall. If you find one, this may give an indication that you can get connected* Please call 0808 100 7722. Please have your credit card ready when you call. Don't forget to ask about our great offer to get FREE Evening & Weekend calls for a year.

superbiatch
21-12-2007, 17:41
You might find you don't get charged - but afaik no one will confim this until they've assessed the work required. I didn't have to pay cos all that was required was for the engineer to switch a button in the basement of my apartments, the wiring was already installed by the builders.

It seems to me there would be little work involved and probably won't have to pay the whole amount (if any!), but i'd suggest speaking to a different person in BT first.

TheBlueRaja
27-12-2007, 20:09
There is an offer on at the moment where they will give you installation for half price IF you agree to stay with BT for 18 Months.

colin-bennett
27-12-2007, 23:40
There is an offer on at the moment where they will give you installation for half price IF you agree to stay with BT for 18 Months.

TheBlueRaja can direct you to a thread where the SKY customer say's SKY will pay for the BT install.

TheBlueRaja
28-12-2007, 00:01
TheBlueRaja can direct you to a thread where the SKY customer say's SKY will pay for the BT install.

I dont know where that thread is (I didnt start it) but i do remember it, somebody reported that Sky had paid the charge for somebody a couple of month back. I'd phone Sky and give it a shot, I just wish Mr Bennett had mentioned it earlier..

Sky are a VERY helpful company.

colin-bennett
28-12-2007, 01:09
I dont know where that thread is (I didnt start it) but i do remember it, somebody reported that Sky had paid the charge for somebody a couple of month back. I'd phone Sky and give it a shot, I just wish Mr Bennett had mentioned it earlier..

Sky are a VERY helpful company.

What

The blue man is telling every one on a different thread he is paying for the BT install........
Perhaps he forgot this lol