PDA

View Full Version : Que the panic buying once again.

Nidge
09-12-2007, 18:51
On the evening of the 6th December 2007 a meeting took place in the midlands made up of a delegation of Transaction and RHA members from all regions of the UK. On finalising the meeting it was decided unanimously that "legal protest action" would be commenced. The dates and times will be published here in the coming days. Your attention should be focused on the day of Sunday 9th December for a further release from us.

It should be known that from this day forward (7th December 2007) that NO media interviews or statements will be issued from ANY member(s) of the Transaction group. This statement also applies to emails. ALL information that the media and public requires will be publicised on this website shortly. No further comments will be made at this time. All previous releases from Transaction on this page has been moved to the media page

In closing, Transaction would like to inform the media that a telephone number for information purposes will be published here in the coming days.

Got this from my boss this morning

"TransAction 2007" makes you aware, that a nationwide legal protest against high fuel taxation will take place at various locations. These will be made available as will the date and time during the coming days. Protest action will take place on the same date and at the same time.

Person(s) participating in the demonstration do so on their own inititive. You will be advised of a "meeting area". If you have not already registered on the "TransAction 2007" forum section of the website, now is the time to support this LEGAL demonstration.

"TransAction 2007" would emphasis, you should comply with police instructions. Any person seen acting outside of police instruction will be reported and asked to be removed from protest area. Further information will be released here as we receive it.

Your attention should be focused on Wednesday 12th December 2007. "TransAction 2007" would like to thank everyone for their support in this campaign. We act as individuals but stand as one.

In finishing, "TransAction 2007" respectfully request that both HM Treasury and the Directors of the Road Haulage Association, urgently meet and enter into sincere and constructive dialogue to achieve an amicable solution to resolve this long standing issue over fuel duty that would be acceptable to all parties concerned. Negotiation should be the way forward !

Graham M
09-12-2007, 18:54
Yay, luckily my car will last a month for me on a full tank :)

Hom3r
09-12-2007, 19:20
Three weeks for me.

But with christmas on the way this should hopefully drop.

Ramrod
09-12-2007, 19:43
erm....one week for me :erm::D
Just filled them both up, thanks for the warning :tu: :)

Cobbydaler
09-12-2007, 19:46
Link (http://www.transaction-2007.com/) for the original post...

Sirius
09-12-2007, 19:52
They get my support. :tu:

joesnake
09-12-2007, 19:56
The RHA are disassociating themselves from Transaction 2007
http://www.rha.org.uk/press-releases/transaction-2007-rha-statement

Maggy
09-12-2007, 19:57
Thankfully I filled up on Friday and I should be good for anther 2-3 weeks. :)

Stuart
09-12-2007, 20:07
They get my support. :tu:

They don't get mine. They incoveniance everyone because they want to reduce the tax they pay.

They may care about the motorist, but clearly don't give a toss about anyone else.

Hom3r
09-12-2007, 20:16
they get mine because I will soon be struggling to pay for diesel

Graham M
09-12-2007, 20:17

Get a more economical car?

Hom3r
09-12-2007, 20:23
I have I get 45+mpg, my petrol on the same jurney did 25mpg

jkat
09-12-2007, 20:26
they are a right set of plonkers and do not get my support!;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
09-12-2007, 20:35
I have I get 45+mpg, my petrol on the same jurney did 25mpg

45 mpg for a diesel isnt that good. Considering the increased cost of the car in the first place and the fact that diesel is more expensive than petrol you'll be lucky to make a saving.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

They don't get mine. They incoveniance everyone because they want to reduce the tax they pay.

They may care about the motorist, but clearly don't give a toss about anyone else.

everyone relies on transport so surely everyone has an interest:confused:

Mick
09-12-2007, 20:35
Get a more economical car?

Not everyone wants to struggle to drive 10 MPH up a hill Zeph. No, quite frankly why should people be forced, economically to drive tin sheds? :erm:

Hom3r
09-12-2007, 20:39
that 45mpg (combined) om a 2 litre diesel, if I did motorway driving all the time it would hit 60's

Cobbydaler
09-12-2007, 20:45
that 45mpg (combined) om a 2 litre diesel, if I did motorway driving all the time it would hit 60's

It doesn't matter whether you drive a petrol or diesel car, the Government will tax the propulsion medium.

I'm almost certain that if hybrid cars become popular they will find a way to tax them to recover the revenue lost from petrochemical fuels....

Mick
09-12-2007, 20:47
It doesn't matter whether you drive a petrol or diesel car, the Government will tax the propulsion medium.

I'm almost certain that if hybrid cars become popular they will find a way to tax them to recover the revenue lost from petrochemical fuels....

This herein lies the problem - its not about the environment at all - It's all about money money money...

Stuart
09-12-2007, 20:48
everyone relies on transport so surely everyone has an interest:confused:

That's the point. I don't drive, so I don't directly pay the taxes. I do, indirectly, through fares (although these have gone up consistantly over the last 15 years or so, regardless of fuel duty) and distribution costs.

However, if people take action, depending on the action taken, I am *directly* affected.

AbyssUnderground
09-12-2007, 20:50
My car will get 550miles from one tank costing £58 to fill up at the moment. Works out at around 45-55mpg depending on the roads I'm using. 45 round town and 50-55 on the motorways. 550 miles will last me around 2 weeks if I use it for work only.

Wicked_and_Crazy
09-12-2007, 20:57

Unlikely, even according to Fords marketing material the duratorq doesnt hit the 60's

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

That's the point. I don't drive, so I don't directly pay the taxes. I do, indirectly, through fares (although these have gone up consistantly over the last 15 years or so, regardless of fuel duty) and distribution costs.

However, if people take action, depending on the action taken, I am *directly* affected.

My point is that a big proportion of your food bill for example is taken by transport costs. Do you think Gordo should have the uncontrolled ability to increase food costs and therefore increase inflation which until recently has had an impact on mortgage costs

Xaccers
09-12-2007, 21:29
Thank goodness I can use SVO.

Graham M
09-12-2007, 22:11
Not everyone wants to struggle to drive 10 MPH up a hill Zeph. No, quite frankly why should people be forced, economically to drive tin sheds? :erm:

Who says I struggle to drive 10mph up a hill, all I'm saying is if people want massive, uneconomical cars, then they should be willing/able to pay for fuel? or else it's time to downgrade.

Wicked_and_Crazy
09-12-2007, 22:15
Who says I struggle to drive 10mph up a hill, all I'm saying is if people want massive, uneconomical cars, then they should be willing/able to pay for fuel? or else it's time to downgrade.

Why shouldnt be able to drive around in comfort? Small cars generally mean less comfort. Shame Beeching couldnt see any further than his nose

Shaun
09-12-2007, 22:16

But I'm sure you'll manage to find some cash for a pint or two? I know most of the people I talk to that complain about the price of fuel manage to :)

Help!!!
09-12-2007, 22:17

Sounds like a man who drives a X5 or Hummer around town.

Wicked_and_Crazy
09-12-2007, 22:19
But I'm sure you'll manage to find some cash for a pint or two? I know most of the people I talk to that complain about the price of fuel manage to :)

You slightly miss the point, you can choose to buy beer, most people cant choose not to buy fuel if they want to continue to work!

Stuart
09-12-2007, 23:01
My point is that a big proportion of your food bill for example is taken by transport costs. Do you think Gordo should have the uncontrolled ability to increase food costs and therefore increase inflation which until recently has had an impact on mortgage costs
Gordo has that ability whether he uses Fuel duty or not.

---------- Post added at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

Why shouldnt be able to drive around in comfort? Small cars generally mean less comfort. Shame Beeching couldnt see any further than his nose

You can have that comfort. You just have to pay for it. That's the wonder of a capitalist economy.

Xaccers
10-12-2007, 08:28

Except that larger cars tend to me safer, and larger engines to a point are more economical and more environmentally friendly, why do you think when the government brought in it's road tax reduction for small engines it had to quickly change it to actual emissions levels?
All the motoring and even the green lobby turned round and pointed out a small 1.0L engine at the time was less green than a 1.8L engine as it was having to work that much harder.

I drive a Xantia Estate, it's not a small car, it's a very comfortable car, and it's a very economical car doing around 45mpg combined.
It also has the advantage of a large 1.9TD engine which can run on SVO, meaning I can drive more environmentally friendly and CO2 neutrally than any modern combustion engine powered car out there.
Too bad that thanks to "environmental concerns" no modern diesel production car that I know of can be as environmentally friendly :rolleyes:

Mick
10-12-2007, 09:18
Who says I struggle to drive 10mph up a hill,

I say it, because a fully laden (Full vehicle occupancy) tin shed cannot possibly go any faster than that up a very steep hill, maybe in first gear and to the sound of a high pitched squealing engine.

I'm saying is if people want massive, uneconomical cars, then they should be willing/able to pay for fuel? or else it's time to downgrade.

No it isn't, this is letting the government bully us into submission and force smaller cars on us - It's time for the government to wake up and smell the coffee, UK fuel duty is a rip off.

Btw, I do have the will to pay for fuel - I just don't agree on the excessive fuel duty that is added on to the ever increasing costs of a litre of petrol, which has more than doubled since I started driving over a decade ago.

You can have that comfort. You just have to pay for it. That's the wonder of a capitalist economy.

Nonsense Stuart - I have payed for that extra comfort when I bought the car - I shouldn't have to worry about the increasing costs of petrol and since as you don't drive, you aren't really experiencing the issues that every motorist does when they fill up at the pumps. i.e being ripped off by our corrupt government.

Graham M
10-12-2007, 09:42
Oooh you really are baiting me on this Mick :p: No personal jabs at my "tin shed" please :) I go up really steep hills at 30 in 3rd on my 1.3 litre 8 valve TYVM :)

handyman
10-12-2007, 09:45

My 'tin shed' Kia Picanto :

Does 50mpg comfortably
Has 6 speak mp3 Audio
Has Air Con
Has full electrics

Comfortably drives up hills and I do live a lot of driving in Cumbria and we are not short of hills.

And more importantly it is £35 per year to tax and depreciates less than your car. (it was the slowest depreciating car in 2005). Also I was working for a car dealership which meant I could have had just about any new car at cost price and my choice was perhaps a little more informed than the average consumers as it was made without the high pressure sales pitch.

Graham M
10-12-2007, 09:49

Does 50mpg comfortably
Has 6 speak mp3 Audio
Has Air Con
Has full electrics

Comfortably drives up hills and I do live a lot of driving in Cumbria and we are not short of hills.

And more importantly it is £35 per year to tax and depreciates less than your car. (it was the slowest depreciating car in 2005). Also I was working for a car dealership which meant I could have had just about any new car at cost price and my choice was perhaps a little more informed than the average consumers as it was made without the high pressure sales pitch.

:clap:

Xaccers
10-12-2007, 09:49

Does 50mpg comfortably
Has 6 speak mp3 Audio
Has Air Con
Has full electrics

Interesting.
Mine can do 50mpg (best I've got out of a Xantia was over 55mpg/816 miles on a tank) normal around MK with all the roundabouts it's down to the 40's.
Has air con
Has full electrics
MP3 audio as standard (how did they know back then?)
Holds 5 people and a shed load of gear (actually, probably your car!) in the boot comfortably.
Is more environmentally friendly than your car, but I'm charged £200 a year in road tax, hmm, something's not right there...

Graham M
10-12-2007, 09:56
Diesel or Petrol though Xaccers?

Xaccers
10-12-2007, 09:57
Diesel or Petrol though Xaccers?

Veg :)

Mick
10-12-2007, 10:05

Does 50mpg comfortably

But does it up steep hills in 4th gear and fully laden ... ?

Has 6 speak mp3 Audio
Has Air Con
Has full electrics

Relevancy? Has absolutely nothing to do with engine performance...

And more importantly it is £35 per year to tax and depreciates less than your car..

Interesting to note that you have absolutely no idea what car I drive so how you can come to this conclusion I'll never know.

Graham M
10-12-2007, 10:07
Veg :)

In which case it's bound to do about the same as my boring old 8 cylinder (and probably with a fair bit more Torque) don't forget Diesel is more expensive per litre though :p: :) Does it run OK on SVO this time of year?

Stuart
10-12-2007, 10:17
Nonsense Stuart - I have payed for that extra comfort when I bought the car - I shouldn't have to worry about the increasing costs of petrol and since as you don't drive, you aren't really experiencing the issues that every motorist does when they fill up at the pumps. i.e being ripped off by our corrupt government.

Which was my point originally. I don't pay the taxes (directly). I will not feel any benefit if the government should change it's position (indeed, I'll possibly end up worse off, as they would probably raise another tax to pay for any reduction). So, why the hell should I suffer the incoveniance of people protesting?

Before you start saying that's selfish, I don't see too many motorists protesting at the recent extortionate rail fare increases sanctioned (or at least not stopped) by the government.

mrmistoffelees
10-12-2007, 10:24
Which was my point originally. I don't pay the taxes (directly). I will not feel any benefit if the government should change it's position (indeed, I'll possibly end up worse off, as they would probably raise another tax to pay for any reduction). So, why the hell should I suffer the incoveniance of people protesting?

Before you start saying that's selfish, I don't see too many motorists protesting at the recent extortionate rail fare increases sanctioned (or at least not stopped) by the government.

I suspect that if the same volume of passengers used the same volume of trains as their are motorists you would see a significant protest.

Personally, I'm right behind the idea of protesting at the price of fuel (although im not sure about the ways that this group are going about it). the very fact we get taxed twice on petrol/diesel is absoloutely disgusting.
The prices that a lot of motorists have to pay is nothing short of disgraceful.
The best way (IMHO) would be to abolish road tax and just have the tax on fuel, our money grabbing lying git's of a government would never ever do that.

Mick
10-12-2007, 10:25
My 'tin shed' Kia Picanto :<snip>

What Whatcar says about the Kia Picanto:

Overall rating: Three out of five stars...

For: The Picanto is cheap to buy and run. It looks cute and most models are well equipped.

Against: The ride is choppy and the engines need to be worked hard. It's a little short on safety kit.

So there you have it - the proof is in the pudding, buy a smaller car and safty is compromised.

lostandconfused
10-12-2007, 10:29
I hate to admit it, but im actually thinking of changing my car for a small diesel, something like the new corsa 1.3.

Even if this protest works (which i doubt) it will be a short term thing, within 6 months the price of fuel will be the same, if not more than it is now.

With a 300 mile round trip to work every day as of january, every extra mpg is going to help. :(

Xaccers
10-12-2007, 10:29
In which case it's bound to do about the same as my boring old 8 cylinder (and probably with a fair bit more Torque) don't forget Diesel is more expensive per litre though :p: :) Does it run OK on SVO this time of year?

Running on 100% at the moment.
Approx 63ppl (with access to Costco)
Approx 76ppl from supermarkets

Until July, it was more expensive to run a car legally on SVO than diesel!
If I use more than 2500L a year it becomes more expensive that diesel (add another 50.35ppl)

Don't forget as fuel prices go up, the cost of essentials goes up to cover the extra transport costs, so high fuel prices affect everyone.

I hate to admit it, but im actually thinking of changing my car for a small diesel, something like the new corsa 1.3.

Even if this protest works (which i doubt) it will be a short term thing, within 6 months the price of fuel will be the same, if not more than it is now.

With a 300 mile round trip to work every day as of january, every extra mpg is going to help. :(

May I suggest any car with a XUD9TE engine? (1.9TD with bosch pump) and run it on veg? 300 miles a day! It'll save you a fortune.

Mick
10-12-2007, 10:45
Media now picks up on this:-

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1296383,00.html

Chicken
10-12-2007, 10:55
But does it up steep hills in 4th gear and fully laden ... ?
Why the fixation with being able to climb hills in top gear? Is it beyond your ability to change down when required? :dozey::rolleyes:

orangebird
10-12-2007, 11:15
:clap:

Clap all you like - small cars are just not viable for some peoeple. Both my husband and I are over 6ft. Two of the three kids are 5'7" (14 and 16 y/o) and the 8y/o is currently wearing 10 y/o clothes because he's taller than average too..... We have a diesel Mondeo because it's the only car we found that can seat all of us in relative comfort ie not having to be a contortionist. We get between 46-49 mpg, which is pretty good. It's also only £140 to tax a year, so it's not the worst as far as damaging the environment goes. My local garage is currently asking 108.9p for a litre of diesel. I wholehearted support the protest. Thank goodness my husbands fuel is paid for by his employer, otherwise I reallt think we'd be buggered.....

Stuart
10-12-2007, 11:27
I suspect that if the same volume of passengers used the same volume of trains as their are motorists you would see a significant protest.

That's just it. In London, at least, the number of train journeys undertaken is frequently greater than the number of car journeys (especially on weekdays), yet when there is any threatened rail fare increase, we are lucky if it is mentioned in the press.

Mick
10-12-2007, 11:41
Why the fixation with being able to climb hills in top gear? Is it beyond your ability to change down when required? :dozey::rolleyes:

4th gear isn't 'Top' gear - Nor do I have a problem changing down - I am merely expressing a point so kindly lay off the dozey smiley and your rolled eyes.

mrmistoffelees
10-12-2007, 11:48
That's just it. In London, at least, the number of train journeys undertaken is frequently greater than the number of car journeys (especially on weekdays), yet when there is any threatened rail fare increase, we are lucky if it is mentioned in the press.

Now that's not strictly true is it, whilst I was in London with work, Red Ken announced the tube rises etc etc. and it was all over the papers metro/london life etc. etc. It's a localised issue to London which is why perhaps why it's not getting the national publicity, where as diesel/petrol prices affect a lot lot more people

I do however wonder one thing, after the last blockades did the Government not turn round and say that hauliers could claim the duty ? or perhaps was it the VAT back on fuel on a quarterley basis ???

Xaccers
10-12-2007, 12:00
I do however wonder one thing, after the last blockades did the Government not turn round and say that hauliers could claim the duty ? or perhaps was it the VAT back on fuel on a quarterley basis ???

While trying to make out that the majority of the nation were more than happy with the fuel prices at the time, so the government could come to our rescue against these "nasty" blockades trying to save everyone money.

Course the government neglected to mention that they were the cause of the sudden hiken in fuel prices what with cranking the fuel escalator up to 6p per annum rather than the 2p when it was first introduced, then trying to make out they're the party of motorists by removing it, despite having increased it by 12p instead of 4p, and now it's gone up 2p and will continue again to rise.

Mr_love_monkey
10-12-2007, 12:01
Clap all you like - small cars are just not viable for some peoeple. Both my husband and I are over 6ft.

Exactly - at the moment my wife and I both have a golf each - but when the new baby comes along, we're going to have to get rid of one of them and get a bigger car, simply because otherwise I won't be able to drive the car with both kids in there, or sit in there comfortably - as it is the current car seat has to sit behind the passenger seat, because if it's behind the drivers seat, I can't push it back far enough to drive, and when I am a passenger in the car, I have to move the seat forward so I'm squashed.
Small cars are great aslong as either a) you don't have anyone in the back or b) you're all midgets, or c) some combination of the previous 2

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-12-2007, 12:11
Gordo has that ability whether he uses Fuel duty or not.

True, but he should just have the balls to come out and say VAT is going up or something like that rather than try to keep hiding it

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Is more environmentally friendly than your car, but I'm charged £200 a year in road tax, hmm, something's not right there...

But its French so you shall be punished :D

rick47
10-12-2007, 12:12
Still got a TESCO spend £50 and get 5p 0ff voucher left trouble is i drive a 54mpg diesel and i only filled last Friday...................maybe i will fill a bowser.

superbiatch
10-12-2007, 12:15
Still got a TESCO spend £50 and get 5p 0ff voucher left trouble is i drive a 54mpg diesel and i only filled last Friday...................maybe i will fill a bowser.

Or, send it to me and i'll gladly save myself a few bob ;)

Xaccers
10-12-2007, 12:28
But its French so you shall be punished :D

You're just jealous cos you don't have one ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-12-2007, 12:31
You're just jealous cos you don't have one ;)

Have you been taking drugs again, you know, those ones you took when you bought it;)

Xaccers
10-12-2007, 12:39
Have you been taking drugs again, you know, those ones you took when you bought it;)

Italian designed body with a UK design based engine, great speaker system, air conditioning, MP3 player ready since 1994, inexpensive to purchase/run/maintain, I can see why you're envious of me and Keith ;)

superbiatch
10-12-2007, 12:56
The local morrisons round the corner (from work) is heaving, looks like word is getting about :erm:

Sirius
10-12-2007, 17:04
The local morrisons round the corner (from work) is heaving, looks like word is getting about :erm:

Good :clap::clap:

Now the Pretender Brown needs to think about how they got in this state and how he could have some balls and sort it out once and for all. But i feel he and the whingers will just play the NHS card straight away. With words like think of the Hospitals and think of the old people and other famous get me out of jail cards they are famous for quoting when the needs arise

mrmistoffelees
10-12-2007, 17:43
It would appear that they are not going to blockade refinerys, merely protest outside them. So the flow of petrol/oil will not be stopped from refinery to petrol station(s).

ZrByte
10-12-2007, 18:40
Relevancy? Has absolutely nothing to do with engine performance...

I think that was in response to the comment someone made about comfort in small cars.

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

What Whatcar says about the Kia Picanto:

Overall rating: Three out of five stars...

For: The Picanto is cheap to buy and run. It looks cute and most models are well equipped.

Against: The ride is choppy and the engines need to be worked hard. It's a little short on safety kit.

So there you have it - the proof is in the pudding, buy a smaller car and safty is compromised.

Only on this and a few other cases. Take a look at my car, Renault clio 2001, has a 4 star safety rating (5 star on the newer one), nice and comfy, pretty quick for a 1.2i, very economical and the only noticable difference between the clio and most other cars of its class is its a little wider.

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

Was looking at one of those myself just before I bought the clio about 2 years ago. Read some cracking reviews for them though a constant a constant nag ive read/heard about is noise and engine performance. Its not terrible and if economy is your main concern it would be the car I'd go for, though maybe not for the long distance driver. Something a bit bigger like a 1.8D Mid sized car like a golf or Focus would probably be better.

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Clap all you like - small cars are just not viable for some peoeple. Both my husband and I are over 6ft. Two of the three kids are 5'7" (14 and 16 y/o) and the 8y/o is currently wearing 10 y/o clothes because he's taller than average too..... We have a diesel Mondeo because it's the only car we found that can seat all of us in relative comfort ie not having to be a contortionist. We get between 46-49 mpg, which is pretty good. It's also only £140 to tax a year, so it's not the worst as far as damaging the environment goes. My local garage is currently asking 108.9p for a litre of diesel. I wholehearted support the protest. Thank goodness my husbands fuel is paid for by his employer, otherwise I reallt think we'd be buggered.....

Im 6ft myself and find the clio is only really practical for me as there is only normally myself and my girlfriend in the car, If I took passengers more often I would probably go for something mid sized and If I had large children like you clearly do and they spent a lot of time in the car I would go for something similar to you. I think what some people are trying to get at are those people who drive around in extremeley large fuel guzzlers with only themselves onboard who then bitch about the prices.

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

Italian designed body with a UK design based engine, great speaker system, air conditioning, MP3 player ready since 1994, inexpensive to purchase/run/maintain, I can see why you're envious of me and Keith ;)

As good a car as the Xantia may be I have seen some shocking examples them. No real neglect on either of the two I saw but they where both basicly disintegrating both physically (Bodywork) and electrically.
Though thinking about it I wouldnt mind one myself and I have seen one with about 450,000 genuine miles on the clock and that one was in very good condition.

Xaccers
10-12-2007, 18:51
As good a car as the Xantia may be I have seen some shocking examples them. No real neglect on either of the two I saw but they where both basicly disintegrating both physically (Bodywork) and electrically.
Though thinking about it I wouldnt mind one myself and I have seen one with about 450,000 genuine miles on the clock and that one was in very good condition.

There are some that look like they've been stored in acid baths, while most don't suffer rust on their bodies.
It's as though some people never wash their cars!

punky
10-12-2007, 20:51
Oh FFS not again. I just hope and pray they aren't going to interupt fuel supplies. I don't inconvenience anyone else with my protests, so I don't see why anyone else should inconvenience me. :afire:

I just hope they stop before the ruin Christmas for everyone. Everyone's travelling around the country visiting family, and visiting out-of-town shopping centres and returning with bootfulls of presents. Its probably not a coincidence they have chosen a time when people do a lot of driving. :afire:

Mick
10-12-2007, 21:16
Oh FFS not again. I just hope and pray they aren't going to interupt fuel supplies. I don't inconvenience anyone else with my protests, so I don't see why anyone else should inconvenience me. :afire:

Yes, again - the more protests, the better - It's about time the nation stood united against our corrupt government. These protests are totally justified as more increases in fuel costs is a bigger inconvenience to our pockets rather than the actual protest itself or are you happy to be continually ripped off all the time when you fill up at the pumps?

mrmistoffelees
10-12-2007, 21:19
Yes, again - the more protests, the better - It's about time the nation stood united against our corrupt government. These protests are totally justified as more increases in fuel costs is a bigger inconvenience to our pockets rather than the actual protest itself or are you happy to be continually ripped off all the time when you fill up at the pumps?

And as I have already said, supplies wont be interuptted as this time they are allowing tankers out from the refinery

punky
10-12-2007, 22:57

Well let them bugger off and do it away from me. I have nothing to do with the prices I don't see why I should be punished for them.

If I don't have petrol to visit family members this Christmas nor do the shopping I need, it won't be the government I will be mad at.

Mick
11-12-2007, 00:38
Well let them bugger off and do it away from me. I have nothing to do with the prices I don't see why I should be punished for them.

Come on Gavin you ain't being punished - if you want petrol you will get it - not quite sure why you getting so carried away - At the end of the day petrol prices are a rip off, you know it, I know it - It's time we took a stand against our government. Yeah it may be christmas, but some of these people protesting are doing it because of their livelihoods and long term future depends upon it, they are fed up with being ripped off, as am I and so should you be as well, without thinking about short term celebrations which some people cannot even afford because of this situation the government has put us all in.

If I don't have petrol to visit family members this Christmas nor do the shopping I need, it won't be the government I will be mad at.

You certainly well should be - if it wasn't for the government and their greedy taxation on fuel duty, there wouldn't be a bloody need for protesting!

keithwalton
11-12-2007, 02:17
I heard my name used in vein ;)

Thank goodness I can use SVO.
Amen to that :) my xantia is still running strong despite being abused (competing in road rallies!) though i will be selling it shortly. It's just to practical, economical and family orientated hatchback for me!

Didn't know the engine was uk though, The estate was designed by Heuliez not sure about the hatch.
Mp3 ready ? you mean the stock hunk of junk had a line input ? (I replaced the head unit when i got the thing as it didn't like being cold) as for the speakers i send 40% of the power to the front 4 (stock speakers) and 60% to two rears i've added and its fairly balanced.
Mine doesn't have aircon :(

As for the reliability and all that the mechanical side of it is good, electronics not so good. In many ways i'm glad it has so little electronics in the car.

Xaccers
11-12-2007, 02:47
I heard my name used in vein ;)

Amen to that :) my xantia is still running strong despite being abused (competing in road rallies!) though i will be selling it shortly. It's just to practical, economical and family orientated hatchback for me!

Didn't know the engine was uk though, The estate was designed by Heuliez not sure about the hatch.
Mp3 ready ? you mean the stock hunk of junk had a line input ? (I replaced the head unit when i got the thing as it didn't like being cold) as for the speakers i send 40% of the power to the front 4 (stock speakers) and 60% to two rears i've added and its fairly balanced.
Mine doesn't have aircon :(

As for the reliability and all that the mechanical side of it is good, electronics not so good. In many ways i'm glad it has so little electronics in the car.

Ricardo based (at least the head is).
And yes, the standard head unit had a line in, great for ipods :)
Great sound quality too.
The heads can be picked up on ebay from £10 to *gulp* £117 (yes, we saw one go for that much!)

jkat
15-12-2007, 15:54
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20071215/tuk-only-handful-support-fuel-protests-6323e80_1.html oh dear suprise suprise looks like no interest!:)

Maggy
15-12-2007, 19:06
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20071215/tuk-only-handful-support-fuel-protests-6323e80_1.html oh dear suprise suprise looks like no interest!:)

Possibly because it's a Saturday and there was footy on. ;)

Stuart
15-12-2007, 19:09

Actually, reminds me of the last industrial action taken where I work. A grand total of 3 people turned up to protest something. I can't even remember what it was they were protesting, but I felt so sorry for them, that even though I didn't agree with what they were protesting about, I considered joining them.

alferret
15-12-2007, 21:04
I drive a 95 escort 1.4
I drive around 800 miles a month to and from work.
My last pay rise was worth around £25 pm net.
Petrol costs me 2.5 tank fulls a month at an average cost of £46 per tank.
Most of my pay rise now goes on extra fuel charges due to the rise in the cost of fuel.
Petrol went down to below $90 a barrel 2 weeks ago.
AFAIK the only forecourt to reduce the pump prices in accordance to the drop in the price per barrel was ASDA which has been at £0.99.9 PPL for the last 10 days here in Mansfield.

Monotonic I know.

jkat
15-12-2007, 21:38
lol and quite possibly xmas shopping?? :)

Maggy
15-12-2007, 21:54
lol and quite possibly xmas shopping?? :)

Are you implying I'm stereotyping?I bet all the lady lorry drivers went to watch the footy today? ;)

jkat
15-12-2007, 22:29
Are you implying I'm stereotyping?I bet all the lady lorry drivers went to watch the footy today? ;):D well put it this way, if i had refused to take my wife shopping today or stopped her in any way i wouldnt be writing this post!;)

Maggy
15-12-2007, 22:38
:D well put it this way, if i had refused to take my wife shopping today or stopped her in any way i wouldnt be writing this post!;)

Ah but then I wouldn't go shopping with my husband..He'd be tutting about prices. ;)

handyman
28-12-2007, 10:13
Interesting to note that you have absolutely no idea what car I drive so how you can come to this conclusion I'll never know.

Yup no idea but I do know what cars depreciate less than others and I do know that the top ten cars that depreciated the least are all small engined cars.

As for lack of safety features I believe they are talking about the features available on high end cars. It has twin air bags and disc brakes all round combined with abs so the only thing it stops short of is accidents.

As for space inside have any of you been in one? I'm just under 6ft and have no issues whatsoever. There is also more space in the back than a Mini and it fits 3 adults in the back with more ease than an Audi A6 estate. (Although I purchased the 4 seater version).

If your that confident let us know what you drive Mick....

Xaccers
28-12-2007, 11:05
Yay! Local tescos are selling corn oil at 54p for 1ltr bottles (strangely 3ltr bottles of the same stuff is £2.45??)
So I bought myself 7ltrs.
Soon my car will be smelling like popcorn mwhahahahaha!

Alien
29-12-2007, 13:09
Yay! Local tescos are selling corn oil at 54p for 1ltr bottles (strangely 3ltr bottles of the same stuff is £2.45??)
So I bought myself 7ltrs.
Soon my car will be smelling like popcorn mwhahahahaha!
Doesn't your 1 sell the big drums of oil? Mine sells some fairly large ones, not sure of the actual volume, I'll try & remember to have a look today. I'm not sure if it's corn or something else, but it's sold as intended for cooking, just in catering quantities.

Xaccers
29-12-2007, 13:59
They sell KTC 15L for around £13, where as I can get 20L ones for less from Costco.
It's Soya oil, which is a bith thicker than rapeseed or corn, and often GM (wonder if my car will mutate?)

Hugh
29-12-2007, 16:09
Like car, like owner........ :D

Xaccers
29-12-2007, 16:18

Aw my car and I like you too mate :)

Alien
30-12-2007, 18:39
They sell KTC 15L for around £13, where as I can get 20L ones for less from Costco.
It's Soya oil, which is a bith thicker than rapeseed or corn, and often GM (wonder if my car will mutate?)
Ah well, I didn't get round to going to Tesco yesterday anyway, so I'll take your word for it. ;)

LOL, when I read that I was half-tempted to do an image search for "Super Mario Kart" & do a bit of creative image editing, but then came down with a sudden bout of CBA.

Wicked_and_Crazy
31-12-2007, 16:08
Ah but then I wouldn't go shopping with my husband..He'd be tutting about prices. ;)

You need to check he hasnt had a sex change, i mean, a man that tuts at prices?? Men dont look at the price

SOSAGES
31-12-2007, 16:44
err you ever sent a woman out shopping? of course we tut and look at prices otherwise we would be waist deep in shoes and soft furnishings...

Alien
31-12-2007, 16:48
You need to check he hasnt had a sex change, i mean, a man that tuts at prices?? Men dont look at the price
Of course we do, sometimes. Especially if the extra cost of the item means we'll have less to spend on what we'd rather be spending our money on [computer parts for geeks - football-related stuff, booze &/or fags for non-geeks]. :)

Alien
26-01-2008, 20:57
Had a look today [purely out of curiosity]. I saw corn, sunflower, & 1 that was labelled as just "vegetable oil" [all KTC brand]. Is the 1 labelled "vegetable oil" the soya 1 you were referring to?

Xaccers
27-01-2008, 02:00
Had a look today [purely out of curiosity]. I saw corn, sunflower, & 1 that was labelled as just "vegetable oil" [all KTC brand]. Is the 1 labelled "vegetable oil" the soya 1 you were referring to?

We believe so. Comes (or used to) in GM and non-GM types, also in metal drums and plastic bottles in a large cardboard cube.
I find it easier to use the plastic bottles rather than the drums.
Last time I checked at Costco, it was about 69.7ppl.
Tesco in this area have been doing knock down prices on their 1Ltr bottles, some as low as 54ppl so I've been going for them.
In one area, their 1Ltr bottles were going for 37p!

Alien
27-01-2008, 07:09
We believe so. Comes (or used to) in GM and non-GM types,
I just looked at the pics [I couldn't be bothered to make a note on my phone, so just took a photo instead - camera phones, best invention ever :D], it was definitely non-GM.

also in metal drums and plastic bottles in a large cardboard cube.
I only saw the 15L drums, & a 5L "box" shaped container, but didn't notice whether that was cardboard or metal.

Last time I checked at Costco, it was about 69.7ppl.
Tesco in this area have been doing knock down prices on their 1Ltr bottles, some as low as 54ppl so I've been going for them.
In one area, their 1Ltr bottles were going for 37p!
Bloody hell, that's cheap! :Yikes: