PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Question

LSainsbury
08-12-2007, 21:37
Evening,

Not so much of an electrical question - more about electrical regulations...

We are about to sell our house and purchase a new house / move etc...

On one of our solicitors forms, one of the questions asks about an electrical work that has been done.

I assume this is asking about anything that may need to be certificated.

We have put some lights in the loft - cabling has been connected to the spare room light (well - the electrical connection to the light in the loft - if you see what I mean) - this is also connected to a pull switch.

I assume this kind of electrical work doesn't need a certificate?

Correct or wrong assumption? :dunce:

Ramrod
08-12-2007, 21:42
This is one for Bopdude, our resident sparks.....:)

LSainsbury
08-12-2007, 22:02

Cheers Rammy - awaiting Bopdude! :p:

tucker61
08-12-2007, 22:23
I am under impression that since 2006 you have to get the cert for this type of work you can replace a fitting, that's all

bopdude
08-12-2007, 22:45
Evening,

Not so much of an electrical question - more about electrical regulations...

We are about to sell our house and purchase a new house / move etc...

On one of our solicitors forms, one of the questions asks about an electrical work that has been done.

I assume this is asking about anything that may need to be certificated.

We have put some lights in the loft - cabling has been connected to the spare room light (well - the electrical connection to the light in the loft - if you see what I mean) - this is also connected to a pull switch.

I assume this kind of electrical work doesn't need a certificate?

Correct or wrong assumption? :dunce:

You'll make me blush one of these days mate :D But thanks :tu:

I am under impression that since 2006 you have to get the cert for this type of work you can replace a fitting, that's all

Basically correct :tu:

You will have to have had the worked done by a competent electrician and the work will have to be signed off, without going into too much faff and nonsense.

HTH.

LSainsbury
08-12-2007, 22:53
Just been doing some Googling and found this:

Source: The IET (http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/part-p/index.cfm)

Q5: What types of electrical work are 'non-notifiable'?

The following types of work are non-notifiable:

Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit(e)

Edit

And to clarify (e):

(e)Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory

bopdude
08-12-2007, 23:02
Just been doing some Googling and found this:

Source: The IET (http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/part-p/index.cfm)

Edit

And to clarify (e):

Exactly, points only, not wiring :tu:

greencreeper
08-12-2007, 23:33
Could it be done after the fact, Bop - i.e. get an expert in to check the wiring and pronounce it safe?

Done a fair bit of tinkering myself with mains wiring and points :erm:

Ramrod
09-12-2007, 00:10
Could it be done after the fact, Bop - i.e. get an expert in to check the wiring and pronounce it safe?I believe you can but it will obviously cost you.....

bopdude
09-12-2007, 00:12
Could it be done after the fact, Bop - i.e. get an expert in to check the wiring and pronounce it safe?

Done a fair bit of tinkering myself with mains wiring and points :erm:

No – An accredited contractor or electrician cannot certify work carried out by anybody else, as he cannot inspect the full extent of the wiring especially where it is hidden in the fabric of the building. The only thing he can provide is a Periodic Inspection Report – which is a formal inspection of the wiring system but does not include an inspection of wiring within the fabric of the building i.e. under floors etc. The Periodic Inspection Report is not a certificate. As such it will not comply with Part P although as above, some authorities may insist on one if you carry out the work yourself.

If you decide that you are competent or employ a person who is competent by either experience or formal qualifications and not engage an accredited contractor or electrician then you must inform the Building Control Officer before commencement of the work. The Building Control Officer will inspect the completed work.

DIY Electrical Works – is it worth it, and how does Part P affect me?

Taken from here, (http://searchwarp.com/swa26130.htm) have a read :tu:

greencreeper
09-12-2007, 05:33
Crumbs :shocked: So, which countries don't have an extradition treaty with the UK? :p:

I've replaced a junction box, and re-routed a cable elsewhere, which involved removing a socket - and replaced the socket on the end of it. All totally visible should anyone want to take a look. Was safer when I finished :erm: I was going to wire up a heater in my mate's bathroom - feed off a socket with a fused spur. All radial circuits in these houses. Guess he'll have to shiver :D

Devil's Advocate - to what extent do you think such regulations exist to protect electricians (i.e. keep them employed), rather than the public (from DIY accidents and accidents as a results of DIY carried out by someone else)?

Ramrod
09-12-2007, 11:53
[SIZE=2]No – An accredited contractor or electrician cannot certify work carried out by anybody else,Oh well :dunce::D

bopdude
09-12-2007, 12:32
Simply put, if in doubt, get a decent electrician to do the work, get the paperwork and your covered. It will save a LOT of hassle in times to come IMHO

tcbass
09-12-2007, 13:53
Might be stupid idea, but can't the work just have "happened" to been done prior to these regs coming into force (i.e. 2006) ? :D

MovedGoalPosts
09-12-2007, 13:56
Devil's Advocate - to what extent do you think such regulations exist to protect electricians (i.e. keep them employed), rather than the public (from DIY accidents and accidents as a results of DIY carried out by someone else)?

That was the main complaint when this stuff came in. However, the Part P regulations aren't as big a change as people think they were.

It was always the case that an electrician should have been certifying the work he carried out was to standard. There should have been paperwork issued to that effect. In most cases though, partly through ignorance of the householder, the paperwork wasn't asked for, and thus it wasn't done. Realistically Part P has reinforced that self certification procedure.

My understanding of the Part P regulations is you need certification if any of the following applies:
1) you wire a complete circuit (new or replacement)
2) you do any wiring in a kitchen or bathroom (even if it is as simple as a single socket addition)
3) you do any electrical work externally to the house (garden, shed, etc).

As it was explained to me, Part P does not apply if you add sockets to a non bathroom / kitchen circuit (which would mean extending that circuit), add light fittings outside of the bathroom / kitchen, and similar smaller alterations. That's why the DIY shops can still sell all these bits and pieces. But, you should still be competent to do these works, and still self certify your installation / changes meets the IEE standards. But how would someone know you've made those changes, unless they start taking sockets of walls and see different wiring :shrug:

Lord Nikon
09-12-2007, 13:57
That would be acceptable, however, if the work was done with the new wiring colours, it may be difficult to claim...

MovedGoalPosts
09-12-2007, 13:58
Might be stupid idea, but can't the work just have "happened" to been done prior to these regs coming into force (i.e. 2006) ? :D

A good giveway is the colour of the cables used for circuits. It recently changed from to the same as you'll find in you appliance power lead - blus / brown, rather than the older red / black.

Raistlin
09-12-2007, 14:01
So.....

If I want to be able to certify my own work (non-notifiable areas only, not kitchens, bathrooms, etc), such as adding sockets/lights, how do I go about being registered as 'competent'?

dragon
09-12-2007, 14:15
So.....

If I want to be able to certify my own work (non-notifiable areas only, not kitchens, bathrooms, etc), such as adding sockets/lights, how do I go about being registered as 'competent'?

I think its some sort of exam you can take, maybe ask at your local college they might know?

MovedGoalPosts
09-12-2007, 15:09
Catch 24, to be seen in the eyes of the law as competent you'd need to become a qualified electrician :spin:

dragon
09-12-2007, 15:55
Catch 24, to be seen in the eyes of the law as competent you'd need to become a qualified electrician :spin:

bet that costs a bit, but I dare say if you goto a tech college or somewhere they probably do a course for it.