PDA

View Full Version : In Debt At Christmas Read Here

wtaylor82
07-12-2007, 23:27
Hi People,
No i'm not selling anything. Just want to give some advice to people, so they don't fall into the mess I did a few xmas's ago.

Here is some tips to enjoy xmas, saving your pennies and counting the savings for a long time to come.

1. Don't take a loan out to cover the cost of xmas. I've done it and certainly regretted it afterwards.

A loan of £5,000 spread out over 5 years at an APR of 6.9% will mean you are paying a total of £926 interest, on top of the 5k. Use the PMT function in excel if you want to work out more indepth scenario's

2. Ebay is your friend. Search ebay for gifts and presents for friends and loved ones, try to find items from the same seller to minimise delivery costs, making the use of the USA customers and the $2 to £1

3. Use hotukdeals.com there is lots of posts of offers on there, updated all the time, including miss prices, coupons, discount codes etc.

4. Don't go overboard at xmas. Buy one or two nice gifts rather than several, wrap them neatly and add the element of suprise e.g. get a big box for a small present to get the loved one excited.

5. Buy what you need for xmas food shopping, shops are open and more flexible these days, I used to work in a supermarket and I tell you people go into crisis mode.

6. Buy sensibly - go shopping for the veg etc at a greengrocers, buy the meet from a butchers and all the treats etc from a supermarket. You will get much more for your money and better quality.

7. Enjoy xmas and remember what its all about

Graham M
07-12-2007, 23:31
All sound advice imo, nice one, a rep on its way (me ill be paying for Xmas on the Credit Card... ho ho ho!)

Druchii
08-12-2007, 06:19
Nice advice :)

My current way of dealing with christmas is to tell everyone i'm broke (which i am) and still inviting them to spend a day with us nearer the time :)

lostandconfused
08-12-2007, 13:36
I normally just tell everyone im going out in the canoe on christmas eve, have a nice stay in a posh hotel without telling anyone, and come back just in time for new years eve party. By that time everyone's forgotton about the presents.

Xaccers
08-12-2007, 14:43
This year, as we have a large adult family now, everyone's decided rather than buying each other socks or other pressies that won't be much use, they're all getting together for a meal out, probably spending less in doing so, and having a good time together.
Unfortunately I can't make it this year, Faulty's working and I've got to help out with airsoft, but I think it's a good idea.
Seems everyone is feeling the pinch this year.
I can see xmas day being something for the kids, with a few pressies, and then another one in Janurary after the sales.
I've known people who do that, and it saves everyone a fortune but still keeps xmas special.

monkey2468
08-12-2007, 15:55
In my family we only buy for the kids. For the adults, its a competition of who can buy the nastiest, tackiest, made in china rubish for £1 or less! :) Great game.

alferret
08-12-2007, 16:50
All sound advice imo, nice one, a rep on its way

Ditto!! :tu:

Horace
08-12-2007, 17:12
5. Buy what you need for xmas food shopping, shops are open and more flexible these days, I used to work in a supermarket and I tell you people go into crisis mode.

QFT. It's like World War 3 had just been declared, really feel sorry for the people who have to work in the supermarkets at this time of year.

Another tip, don't buy electrical or luxury goods in December, wait another month till the sales, sounds obvious but it's suprising how many people pay top whack for a new TV for "Christmas"..use your V+ and watch the stuff after on a heavily discounted new TV ;).

Nidge
08-12-2007, 17:50
QFT. It's like World War 3 had just been declared, really feel sorry for the people who have to work in the supermarkets at this time of year.

Another tip, don't buy electrical or luxury goods in December, wait another month till the sales, sounds obvious but it's suprising how many people pay top whack for a new TV for "Christmas"..use your V+ and watch the stuff after on a heavily discounted new TV ;).

LOL I can just picture the scene in Currys or Comet, couple walk in on the 21st of December to buy a brand new flat screen TV, they pay £1,000+ for the all singing and dancing system, they are watching TV on Christmas Eve when the sales are advertised, they see their TV on sale at £500, can you picture their faces???

A mate of mine who used to work in Allsports in Mansfield said to do your shopping late on Christmas Eve, the reason for this is that the shops have started marking their stuff down for the sales, the public have finished their shopping, he said you can pick some right bargins up if you leave it till 2pm on Christmas Eve.