PDA

View Full Version : Work related question regarding notice

Central
06-12-2007, 19:14
I am handing my notice in at my part time job as I now have a perm full time.

I have asked my HR department and my manager how much notice I have to give and been told a week.

I am handing my notice in tomorrow so it will be up next Friday 14th and I will no longer be with the company. My manager has already done a rota for next week and put me down to work on 16th Dec.

As my notice will already be up by then will I have to work that Sunday?

Cheers

Delta Whiskey
06-12-2007, 19:35
What day does your working week end on, for most it's a Friday (office workers) but in the retail workplace it might be another day. Talk to the HR department again and get the official word from them.

Shaun
06-12-2007, 20:00
Simple answer is no - one week from the date you hand it in. :)

v0id
06-12-2007, 21:34
You don't have to work your notice if they owe any days holiday ;)

lostandconfused
06-12-2007, 23:03
sorry to hi-jack the thread, but wanted to ask a similar question, but dont think it needed a new thread.

If you have to give notice, in my case its going to be a month, but told by HR that i wouldnt be required to work it, would i still get paid?
And if they have said i wouldnt have to work the notice, does that mean i could chose the date i leave, or would i have to go there and then?

again apologise for the hi-jack:)

joglynne
07-12-2007, 00:26
lostandconfused as far as I am aware, if your employer does not enforce your working out your notice, you will probably be able to state the leaving date that you wish and you would be paid up to that date.

Basically, your employer will need to calculate any annual leave that you are due and taking these days into account work out, with you, what your actual leaving date should be, so that their wage records will be in order.

IMO when you are in a position to actually give your resignation sit down with the HR person and work out a date which works for you.

Xaccers
07-12-2007, 00:56
You do not have to work your notice anyway.
The company must pay you what they owe you however, including any holiday pay you have built up.
If however they are able to prove that they lost money by you not working your notice then they could sue you for it, however that is normally impossible to do.
It's always best to leave on good terms, and many contracts will have a clause stating on manager's discresion you can leave before your notice period is up (this saves the company losing face by people saying I'm leaving, and I'm going in 1 week whether you like it or not)

Halcyon
07-12-2007, 16:39
Although you don't have to work your notice, it is best to do so in order to get a reference from them for your next job.
Once you have agreed it is a week, then that is set. You don't have to do any more days.

nffc
07-12-2007, 16:52
sorry to hi-jack the thread, but wanted to ask a similar question, but dont think it needed a new thread.

If you have to give notice, in my case its going to be a month, but told by HR that i wouldnt be required to work it, would i still get paid?
And if they have said i wouldnt have to work the notice, does that mean i could chose the date i leave, or would i have to go there and then?

again apologise for the hi-jack:)In effect they would be putting you on "gardening leave" from when you hand in your notice - which entitles you to full pay.