PDA

View Full Version : Diesel & Petrol Prices

Hom3r
02-12-2007, 22:23
What the heck is going on with the cost of fuel?

In the space of two weeks the average cost of diesel has jumped by 5p a litre.

The average cost of a litre near me is £1.05p,

This is getting way beyond a poxy joke.

6-7 years ago Hauliers blocked terminals for a week or so, and the cost was way lower than today. (Why not now? has some secret deal been struck?)

Thank god I bought a diesel in May.

Callumpy
02-12-2007, 22:36
its cheap, think of how much it cost to get the petrol and import it to a tank!

Sirius
02-12-2007, 22:46

You can tell you dont pay for it each day. :rolleyes:

So answer me this. How do other countrys have it cheaper than this one. ?

Ramrod
02-12-2007, 22:46
its cheap, think of how much it cost to get the petrol and import it to a tank!:confused:

Sirius
02-12-2007, 22:51
:confused:

His was the sort of stupid answer i expect from someone who does not have to pay for it. Unlike us Rammy

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

That's what i will be buying next and run it on cooking oil and the Government can go sod off for the tax and vat :LOL:

Shadow Demon UK
02-12-2007, 22:55
A litre of water generally costs more than £1 and thats a hell of a lot easier to source than petrol...

bw41101
02-12-2007, 23:10
So answer me this. How do other countries have it cheaper than this one. ?

Because their governments aren't full of greedy, grubby, slimy, blood squeezing parasites, aiming to legally steal as much revenue from the hard and (not so) hard working public (as they possibly can), in the form of tax. :mad:

Petrol and diesel cost next to nothing to produce (average less than 5p a litre), the actual price is bumped up in revenues, that's why the oil companies are stinking rich and the government has a big fat laugh at the public's expense. :mad:

It's a double edged sword. When the price of oil goes up ($ per barrel) the price of fuel immediately goes up to compensate, the winner in this game is always the oil company and the government - the loser is the public. :mad:

I can remember when diesel was once cheaper than petrol - why? because it was mostly used for the (not so trendy) end of the motoring market. Since then diesel cars have become very fashionable and (now) because of it's better performance and mileage (when compared to petrol) the price has gone up accordingly - annoying isn't it? :mad:

To my mind the only way to tackle this would be for nobody to buy fuel for a week or more. This would seriously affect profits all round. ;) Nice thought, but unfortunately (dare I say this) many of the British public haven't got the guts to see it through. I mean - you only have to whisper "shortages" to see every man, woman and his dog rushing for the pumps. Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? :rolleyes:

So (you see) we really are our own worst enemy, sigh.....!

Si thee

brundles
02-12-2007, 23:18
To my mind the only way to tackle this would be for nobody to buy fuel for a week or more. This would seriously affect profits all round. ;) Nice thought, but unfortunately (dare I say this) many of the British public haven't got the guts to see it through. I mean - you only have to whisper "shortages" to see every man, woman and his dog rushing for the pumps. :rolleyes:

So (you see) we really are our own worst enemy, sigh.....!

Si thee

The problem with that approach is that the government and petrol companies know you will still need petrol (probably twice as much) the week after.

A slightly better variant of this I saw was to boycott two petrol suppliers completely (I can't remeber which ones it was unfortunately!). That way you still get your petrol/diesel but somebody else does lose out and might actually take an interest beyond cranking the price up on the board every day.

bw41101
02-12-2007, 23:49
boycott two petrol suppliers completely (I can't remember which ones it was unfortunately!).

If I remember rightly it was: Shell and PB. Though (I understand) supermarkets were supposed to be the fuel backups to support such a campaign.

Si thee

Help!!!
03-12-2007, 00:39

Can you pay my petrol costs please? Ill send you a paypal request for the yearly bill, kthxbye.

But seriously, Its getting way to expensive, 1.13p some garages are charging for diesel . utter joke, I was watching top gear tonight and they where on about a H2O car, now thats what Im talking about.

We need to organize a strike, that would make the garages change.

WHISTLED
03-12-2007, 00:43
More wise words from the child prodigy!

But seriously, Its getting way to expensive, 1.13p some garages are charging for diesel . utter joke, I was watching top gear tonight and they where on about a H2O car, now thats what Im talking about

It was a hydrogen powered car, H20 is just the bi-product, and although its proably the future they will be out of almost everyones reach for decades yet. The fuel cells are very very very expensive

Nidge
03-12-2007, 05:08
Diesel is a waste product that is created when crude oil is refined, it was said earlier in another post that years ago diesel was classed as unfashionable that's why it was so cheap, sadly now it's not the case.

Any buisness that is VAT registered can claim the VAT back that's paid on fuel, don't feel sorry for the hauliers, farmers, bus companies and all the companies who are VAT resgistered because they are getting cheap fuel via VAT rebates every 3 months. Bus companies and all the other transport companies get a fuel duty rebate every 3 months.

I was talking once to an operations manager at Stagecoach in Mansfield and he told me how much fuel duty they get back each quarter, his depot alone got £250,000 every quarter that's not taking into account the subsidies they get from the government each year, don't feel sorrry for these operators because they are stinking in money.

There are many by-products that are created from refining oil, there's butuman, plastics, chemicals plus many many more products that create more profit for the oil companies than petrol and diesel, there is no waste so why the high fuel prices?

What gets me is when the price of a barrel crude oil goes up the petrol stations put it up straight away, bearing in mind the crude has to be pumped to the surface then shipped halfway round the world then placed on the brent oil markets for sale, it then has to be shipped to the refinery to be made into fuel then transported to the garage for general sale, they must be fast at doing this because when they announce a rise in price for a barrel of crude whala an extra 3p goes on at the pumps, now that's some speed. When the price of a barrel comes down it takes 2 weeks before we see any price difference.

Sorry for the rant folks but I feel better now I've got that off my chest.

---------- Post added at 05:08 ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 ----------

6-7 years ago Hauliers blocked terminals for a week or so, and the cost was way lower than today. (Why not now? has some secret deal been struck?)

The hauliers won't blockade anymore due to them being able to claim their fuel duty back from the government, this was reached after that last blockade when the country was on it's knees, Tony Blair and Gordon Brown took this action to stop anymore demo's. Hauliers are rolling in money now, when you take the duty off the price of a gallon of diesel you'll be looking at paying about 40 odd pence per litre.

Mr_love_monkey
03-12-2007, 06:44

can tell you don't drive

Graham M
03-12-2007, 07:19

That I remember, it was much more than a week!

lostandconfused
03-12-2007, 07:45
The highest petrol prices since the dinosaurs, co-incides with the possibility of a new job with a 200 mile round trip commute. Lovely.

Im thinking about getting a diesel and then becoming bessie friends with my local farmer that has a nice stockpile of the red stuff.

Even with my relativly short drive to work, and hardly useing the car outside of work my fuel bill is more than gas, electric TV phone BB and mobile bills combined. Now thats just silly

Graham M
03-12-2007, 09:39
LoL Red Diesel tends to smoke like a ******* in most Diesel engines :) Might be worth specifically looking at cars that have been successfully run with a mix of SVO :)

Mr_love_monkey
03-12-2007, 09:40
LoL Red Diesel tends to smoke like a ******* in most Diesel engines :) Might be worth specifically looking at cars that have been successfully run with a mix of SVO :)

it's also illegal to use it on the road...

Graham M
03-12-2007, 09:41
Very true!

Nugget
03-12-2007, 09:48

Ah, but that just makes it more of a challenge...

altis
03-12-2007, 09:55
If you have a car with a petrol engine, consider converting it to dual fuel:

http://www.go-autogas.co.uk/

LPG is still under 50p / litre in most places. :)

And all entirely legal :)

Nidge
03-12-2007, 09:59

Some drivers use red diesel in road vehicles you just run the risk of being caught that all and being fined plus they can conviscate your car. When I was on the taxis I can remember a guy running his car on red diesel, he was laughing about it till the customs and excise caught up with him, they took his car away and fined him £500, he also had to pay to get his car back which in th elong run cost him well in excess of £2,000.

---------- Post added at 09:59 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

If you have a car with a petrol engine, consider converting it to dual fuel:

http://www.go-autogas.co.uk/

LPG is still under 50p / litre in most places. :)

And all entirely legal :)

Have you seen the price of LPG creeping up though?? I noticed the other week at the garage where I fill up that the price of LPG is gong up, it started out at 41 pence per litre it's now just above 50p per litre.

Mr_love_monkey
03-12-2007, 10:08
Ah, but that just makes it more of a challenge...

Best hide a dead body in the boot too, just to make it that much more exciting!

Mick
03-12-2007, 10:09
When I was over in the states about 5 weeks ago - The price of 'Gas' as they prefer to call it over there was averaging about $2.90 - $3.15 a gallon. Roughly converted to pounds and litres, £1.50 for about 4 litres of Unleaded!

The price of oil has rocketed over the last few months - It was around $62 a barrel about April or May time. Last week it peaked to around $95 a barrel. Market boffins claim the reason for such a huge increase, is investors taking advantage of the ailing dollars value against other currencies and buying up oil stocks as assets.

Mr_love_monkey
03-12-2007, 10:18
well, I filled Mrs Monkey's car last night, so that was £51, going to fill mine tonight, so that will be close to the same.

So over a 100 quid, just on petrol, I just can't see how they can raise it much more.

brundles
03-12-2007, 10:20

Yeah, but let's face it - that's only because the government don't want to miss out on stealing more money from you.

andygrif
03-12-2007, 10:22
When I was over in the states about 5 weeks ago - The price of 'Gas' as they prefer to call it over there was averaging about $2.90 - $3.15 a gallon. Roughly converted to pounds and litres, £1.50 for about 4 litres of Unleaded!

The price of oil has rocketed over the last few months - It was around $62 a barrel about April or May time. Last week it peaked to around $95 a barrel.

I was in the US last week and according to USA Today crude was up to $99.50 a barrell last week, but this week it's dropped back down to about $90...but the cost of the petrol seems to keep rising. Very odd.

And as we all know, the main problem with the cost of fuel in the UK is duty and VAT, and every time the base cost of fuel rises, so does the income generated by VAT, plus when our lovely government decided to increase the duty on fuel by 2p per litre, on an average tank of fuel they also generated an extra 21p in VAT on top of the £1.20 extra in duty. Good innit?

Mick
03-12-2007, 10:32
It's falling back under $90:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601009&sid=amY8KjJIPI9Q&refer=commodities

OPEC to meet in two days to discuss whether they should increase output, which would help to ease prices but as we know its the TAX on our petrol which is the biggest bug bearer.

Graham M
03-12-2007, 10:32
well, I filled Mrs Monkey's car last night, so that was £51, going to fill mine tonight, so that will be close to the same.

So over a 100 quid, just on petrol, I just can't see how they can raise it much more.

That's one reason I love my Suzuki Swift, under £30 for a full tank and 50miles/gallon average - not bad for a 14 year old car!

Scarlett
03-12-2007, 10:48
I'd be looking East for the cause of our high prices. China and India are using far more oil than ever before and the production capability hasn't massively been increased to cover this hence higher prices.

I'd personally avoid the veggie oil in a diesel option for the moment.
1)It's still taxed fairly heavily.
2)Although you can just put oil in, it is recommended that you pre-mix it and in any case you will need to filter it unless you are able to find some oil that has already been filter to remove all particles upto a certain size (can't remember what size but most supermarket oil won't be filtered enough and its not very easy to get the info)
3)You wouldn't believe the stupid converluted way you have to register the car to be able to even use veg oil legally.

I took one look at it and decided that I didn't need the extra red tape and cost of filtering just to save a few quid (especially as I claim tax expenses for my fuel as part of my job)

I know that the government do tax fuel far more than most governments but at the moment that's not driving prices up.

Mick
03-12-2007, 10:48
That's one reason I love my Suzuki Swift, under £30 for a full tank and 50miles/gallon average - not bad for a 14 year old car!

Yeah but you're talking low performance here, under 75bhp for sure - Most new and low performance cars these days would match those stats.

Me, I prefer to able to go up hill in '6th' gear without a sign of a struggle. ;)

Graham M
03-12-2007, 10:51
Yeah but you're talking low performance here, under 75bhp for sure - Most new and low performance cars these days would match those stats.

Me, I prefer to able to go up hill in '6th' gear without a sign of a struggle. ;)

Yep you're correct, but what's the point of a high performance car with all the speed cameras around these days? Especially when I don't do masses of motorway mileage.

altis
03-12-2007, 10:54
I agree with Scarlett. The real cause is massively increased demand from the developing nations. This can only get worse - and probably quicker than we might think. I won't be surprised if in as little as five years from now we'll be paying two or even three times as much for our fuel.

Mr_love_monkey
03-12-2007, 10:57
Yeah, but let's face it - that's only because the government don't want to miss out on stealing more money from you.

But isn't it also more harmful to the environment?

brundles
03-12-2007, 11:12
But isn't it also more harmful to the environment?

Not as far as I could find - although dumping it in a river (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4786530.stm) would count. My understanding is the dye was added purely to detect taxed vs untaxed diesel, not as a way of protecting the environment.

Mr_love_monkey
03-12-2007, 11:37
Not as far as I could find - although dumping it in a river (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4786530.stm) would count. My understanding is the dye was added purely to detect taxed vs untaxed diesel, not as a way of protecting the environment.

I thought it contained more sulphur - I will see if I can find the info...

.. but yeah, I agree that it is primarily illeagal because of avoiding tax, since it was made illegal to use it, before the environment became an issue

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Here we go :

Also, road-side diesel is nearly all ‘low sulphur’ nowadays, containing less that 50 ppm sulphur. ‘Red diesel’ contains up to 2000 ppm. Which means it produces significantly more sulphur dioxide – a cause of acid rain. ‘Red diesel’ also has lower ‘cetane’ rating (a measure of a fuel’s power), which means that more of it has to be burnt to produce a given horsepower. And finally, the dye used to make ‘red diesel’ red (so that an inspector can see if you’ve used cheap diesel in your 4X4) is made from a chemical called CO Solvent Red 24 – an irritant which chemists say can cause ‘stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhoea’.

espeically like this bit

is made from a chemical called CO Solvent Red 24 – an irritant which chemists say can cause ‘stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhoea’.

so no eating it!

take from here : http://www.theecologist.org/blog_comments.asp?blog_detail_id=66

Callumpy
03-12-2007, 16:14
You can tell you dont pay for it each day. :rolleyes:

So answer me this. How do other countrys have it cheaper than this one. ?

ok ok, the government are kinda greedy!

LSainsbury
03-12-2007, 16:44

That's an understatement!!!

papa smurf
03-12-2007, 16:45

when i was your age it was 40 p per gallon[ and before you ask it was the jurasic period]:D

Nikesh
03-12-2007, 17:23
Petrol's cheap... well cheaper than bull semen! :rolleyes: For those of you who watch Top Gear. ;)

papa smurf
03-12-2007, 18:24
Petrol's cheap... well cheaper than bull semen! :rolleyes: For those of you who watch Top Gear. ;)

thanx now i've got this picture in my head....oooargghh:naughty:

Callumpy
03-12-2007, 18:45

lol, indeed at £25,000 a litre

monkey2468
03-12-2007, 18:50
Just filled my wifes car, nearly £50 of deisel
Filled my car, nearly £85!!:shocked:

Callumpy
03-12-2007, 18:51
driving is a expensive hobby then :S

rick47
03-12-2007, 19:17
Have not gone through the thread BUT (and I do not drink), well not often. Beer is now about £2.75 a pint in a local pub, 8 pints = 1 Gallon 8X2.75= 22< £5 in a club=5x8=40. So taking that oil is taken out the ground, refined, transported, and sold..................Beer, water, hops ferment 2 weeks, sold.......Waterspoons.............5 weeks to lower the cost. So it works out we pay more for beer than fuel. I'm drinking diesol from now on......Diesole at 1.07 ltr (got to be the better buzz)

DocDutch
03-12-2007, 19:36
well was in Holland this weekend and the price there for say Unleaded was €1.44 per liter so not that far off from here.

the only country where it is too cheap is the USA and they use loads.

LSainsbury
03-12-2007, 19:36
driving is a expensive hobby then :S

When you grow up and go to work you will suddenly realise that some driving is not just a hobby....

That's if cars are still around when you grow up....scrub that - replace that with if the planet is still around when you grow up!

Callumpy
03-12-2007, 20:48
fair enough, as my parents say: back to horse and cart

saabmania2
03-12-2007, 20:57

not if you buy the diesel dye off ebay, you can get it in many colours even change it so it looks like the standard stuff, by the way red derv doesn't smoke anymore than reg diesel been using it in my A8 for a while now and when pulled over by vosa they didn't even spot the differance with the dye in the tank:p::angel:

Hom3r
03-12-2007, 21:16
I'm thinking of going here

http://www.petroldirect.com/

Wicked_and_Crazy
03-12-2007, 21:25
fair enough, as my parents say: back to horse and cart

make sure you get it the right way around ;)

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

i like this bit from their web site

Ordering from us is safe and easy! Just enter the desired quantity of the fuel you need, and we'll package it up and send it to you in the post, first class, delivered straight through your letterbox. No hassle. No worries

15 gallons through the letterbox??

They will never be allowed to send petrol through the post, what a joke!!

papa smurf
03-12-2007, 21:53

.......sounds like northern irland

Wicked_and_Crazy
03-12-2007, 21:57
.......sounds like northern irland

Better invest in a Milk Bottle manufacturer ;)

r1ch
03-12-2007, 21:58
Just in case you are an American, or possibly drive a car made by Suzuki (except for the new snazzy new Swift), we will spell the purpose of Petrol Direct out to you in simple terms. This is a spoof. A parody. We do not sell petrol or any other fuels, and certainly not plutonium or antimatter. Sorry. This site is strictly for laughs only.

Hom3r
03-12-2007, 22:01

erm the site isn't real

http://www.petroldirect.com/diesel.htm

Rainbow Diesels

We can colour your diesel any way you like it - for the very first time, you can have a fuel that coordinates with your corporate livery. At present we can supply Orange, Blue, Yellow and Purple Diesel for only a small mark-up on our standard prices.

Wicked_and_Crazy
03-12-2007, 22:02
ohhhh noooo i thought it was real ;)

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

erm the site isn't real

Really???:rolleyes: the price for Vin Deisel was a bit of a give away. Who in there right mind would mix wine and Deisel :D

papa smurf
03-12-2007, 22:10
ohhhh noooo i thought it was real ;)

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Really???:rolleyes: the price for Vin Deisel was a bit of a give away. Who in there right mind would mix wine and Deisel :D

i think you'll find the frogs do it all the time ][well thats how it tastes]

bm1980
03-12-2007, 22:13
i know the solution if you run a diesel get down to your local chip shop and offer to take their old cooking oil off their hands, give it a quick filter, pour it in your tank and hey presto free fuel! no more sky high fuel bills! i dare someone to give it a go! ive heard it works a treat. ps make sure the tax man doesnt find out, the penalties may be similar to if you were running on the red stuff.

papa smurf
03-12-2007, 22:17
i know the solution if you run a diesel get down to your local chip shop and offer to take their old cooking oil off their hands, give it a quick filter, pour it in your tank and hey presto free fuel! no more sky high fuel bills! i dare someone to give it a go! ive heard it works a treat. ps make sure the tax man doesnt find out, the penalties may be similar to if you were running on the red stuff.

i've got a low cholesterole car ..so i need a supply of omega3 oil;)

bm1980
03-12-2007, 22:26
:)Ive also heard of a company that takes the wasteproduct from chocolate factories, which is then refined into a liquid which a diesel engine will run on quite happily its a high colesterole alternative to omega3 oil.

papa smurf
03-12-2007, 22:30
:)Ive also heard of a company that takes the wasteproduct from chocolate factories, which is then refined into a liquid which a diesel engine will run on quite happily its a high colesterole alternative to omega3 oil.

handy on a picknic you can dip your bread in the tank

alferret
03-12-2007, 22:32
Fuel has dropped to below $90 today so pump prices should fall soon as long as the trend continues.
Tesco £1.02 (oaktree) Asda £0.99.9p (forest town) per ltr petrol.

Just a question though, if diesel is a less refined fuel than petrol why does diesel cost more?

Graham M
03-12-2007, 22:51
Because the government know they can line their pockets ;)

budwieser
03-12-2007, 23:08
£1.08 per litre for Diesel yesterday in Cherry Hinton, Cambridge.! :confused:

Help!!!
04-12-2007, 20:29
This has lead to bus prices going up, 20p in some areas.

Nikesh
04-12-2007, 20:44
This has lead to bus prices going up, 20p in some areas.

Yep I noticed that today. In my area day ticket went up to £2.60 and weekly ticket up to £10 now. :(

bm1980
04-12-2007, 20:55
looks like its time to crack out the bycicle clips or buy a go-ped!

Hom3r
04-12-2007, 21:36
What we need to do peeps is only by fuel from the supermarket, (Its the same stuff as BP, Shell etc, look at the British Standard number)

I have never got my from Total since the last diapute when they put the proces up.

Vlad_Dracul
04-12-2007, 21:45
The British public are fools to themselves. they deserve all they get. There are two main strategies to buying fuel which i always use;

(1) Always seek out your cheapest garage
(2)Only put in the bare minimum at each fill,dont fill up !

If we all did this,there would be an impact on prices. sadly we dont so suffer.

Hom3r
04-12-2007, 21:51
I just worked out that in the last 6 months it costs me £6 per tank more.

A full tank lasts me upto 20 days, I fill up to the brim because it more the next time I fill up.

---------- Post added at 21:51 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

I have registerd with this site, I get regulary email updates.

http://www.petrolprices.com/

Xaccers
04-12-2007, 23:28

Not unless you use more than 2500L in a tax year.
Less than that and bio fuel is tax free.
Don't just filter WVO though, refine it into biodiesel, as WVO contains acids and water which really aren't good for your car.
Personally, I'll stick to SVO, much easier, just buy it and pour it in.
Tesco has gone up to 74ppl though, and Costco is around 63ppl.
Shockingly expensive, but still cheaper than Derv.

Incidently, marine diesel users are going to be hit with duty from next year if they use it for private purposes, such as canal boats, as it's a "luxury"
There will be a slightly reduced rate for those who also use it to heat their boats though.
So living on the water is about to get more expensive.
Nice one Gordon. :rolleyes:

brundles
06-12-2007, 13:17
The British public are fools to themselves. they deserve all they get. There are two main strategies to buying fuel which i always use;

(1) Always seek out your cheapest garage
(2)Only put in the bare minimum at each fill,dont fill up !

If we all did this,there would be an impact on prices. sadly we dont so suffer.

How does only every putting in impact prices? The less you put in, the more often you have to fill up. Putting less in doesn't reduce your requirements.

bm1980
06-12-2007, 13:21
i think what is meant is that ur vehicle wont be as heavy not carrying around a full tank when ur only using it for short journeys this will also increase ur MPG

andygrif
06-12-2007, 14:24
well was in Holland this weekend and the price there for say Unleaded was €1.44 per liter so not that far off from here.

Prices in the Netherlands are usually comparative to the UK's prices.

Don't really understand why you think it's the USA where it's 'too cheap'. Surely it just means it's too expensive in Europe.

Also, the USA is not the only place to have lower duty rates on the cost of their fuel.... here's some current prices for you...

Dubai - 25p /lt
New Zealand - 55p /lt
Luxembourg - 75p /lt
China - 42p /lt

r1ch
06-12-2007, 14:30
i think what is meant is that ur vehicle wont be as heavy not carrying around a full tank when ur only using it for short journeys this will also increase ur MPG

I don't think that works. My car has about a 40L tank, so if I fill it up every time it is empty it'll on average contain 20L of petrol. That's about 14Kg - less than 1% of the weight of the car, so even if I saved a whole 1% of fuel by carrying less weight I'd probably use twice that in going to the petrol station to top up so often.

SMHarman
06-12-2007, 18:24
I can remember when diesel was once cheaper than petrol - why? because it was mostly used for the (not so trendy) end of the motoring market. Since then diesel cars have become very fashionable and (now) because of it's better performance and mileage (when compared to petrol) the price has gone up accordingly - annoying isn't it? :mad:For the same reason LPG is still cheap. Once more jump on that bandwagon the cost will rise as demand meets supply.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

To my mind the only way to tackle this would be for nobody to buy fuel for a week or more. This would seriously affect profits all round. ;) Nice thought, but unfortunately (dare I say this) many of the British public haven't got the guts to see it through. I mean - you only have to whisper "shortages" to see every man, woman and his dog rushing for the pumps. Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? :rolleyes:Not likely to do much unless peoples usage changes during that week. Most could fill up on Sunday and not fill up again until the following Monday thus not filling up for a week but shifting their purchase patterns.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

When I was over in the states about 5 weeks ago - The price of 'Gas' as they prefer to call it over there was averaging about $2.90 - $3.15 a gallon. Roughly converted to pounds and litres, £1.50 for about 4 litres of Unleaded!and 10 years ago over here there was uproar as it moved over $1 a gallon. There is very little tax on gas here and as the tax is on a state by state basis it is difficult to raise as some of the major buying markets are so close to state borders (say NY where you can easily fill up in NJ or CT) that states would have to collude to move taxes up together which would be illegal or risk loss of fuel revenue from out of state buying.

Wicked_and_Crazy
06-12-2007, 18:24
How does only every putting in impact prices? The less you put in, the more often you have to fill up. Putting less in doesn't reduce your requirements.

is it more effiecient cart 2 1/2 a tank fills around or a full tank assuming you dont have to go out of your way to fill up?

SMHarman
06-12-2007, 18:39
the only country where it is too cheap is the USA and they use loads.And it is a large country without a massive rail or bus infrastructure in many places. Similarly many states allow you to drive at 14 or so, partly because it means you can get yourself to school.
You would be suprised at how much fuel economy drives car advertising here nowdays. A few years ago it would not even be mentioned in an advert.

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

(2)Only put in the bare minimum at each fill,dont fill up !You need to be careful with this guidance. Many modern cars cool the fuel pump with the contents of the fuel tank. Overheating the fuel pump and burning it out (thus requiring a replacement) will cost you way way more than the savings you make here.
You should always have at least a 1/4 tank in most modern cars (as they need higher pressure fuel and more complex fuel pumps to feed the fuel injection systems).

Wicked_and_Crazy
06-12-2007, 18:41
And it is a large country without a massive rail or bus infrastructure in many places. Similarly many states allow you to drive at 14 or so, partly because it means you can get yourself to school.
You would be suprised at how much fuel economy drives car advertising here nowdays. A few years ago it would not even be mentioned in an advert.

All a question of how much tax needs to be raised

SMHarman
06-12-2007, 18:43
Prices in the Netherlands are usually comparative to the UK's prices.

Don't really understand why you think it's the USA where it's 'too cheap'. Surely it just means it's too expensive in Europe.

Also, the USA is not the only place to have lower duty rates on the cost of their fuel.... here's some current prices for you...

Dubai - 25p /lt
New Zealand - 55p /lt
Luxembourg - 75p /lt
China - 42p /ltDubai well less transportation costs and they make the money exporting it.
NZ - similar to the US, a lack of alternative transport infrastructure means you cannot price fuel to encourage travel by bus, train etc.
Lux - well there is no / low tax on everything there. That is why it is a tax haven.
China?

Wicked_and_Crazy
06-12-2007, 18:43
You should always have at least a 1/4 tank in most modern cars (as they need higher pressure fuel and more complex fuel pumps to feed the fuel injection systems).

Volume of fuel in the tank is not going to affect fuel pressure (unless its empty of course)

SMHarman
06-12-2007, 18:44
Volume of fuel in the tank is not going to affect fuel pressure (unless its empty of course)No it is going to affect heat dissipation. The fuel is the radiator (perhaps that should be heat sink) that the pump uses to dissipate heat.

Wicked_and_Crazy
06-12-2007, 18:50
No it is going to affect heat dissipation. The fuel is the radiator (perhaps that should be heat sink) that the pump uses to dissipate heat.

must fuel pumps are not even in the tank. most fuel pumps operate on the basis of sucking it out of the tank up to the front of the car at low pressure and then increasing the pressure for the last short part of the journey. Having high pressure fuel lines the length of the car is dangerous

Russ
06-12-2007, 18:54
So, good old Joe Public will get inconvenienced again. Recently those wonderful people at the Royal Mail decided to punish us, now it's the truckers who want to cause us disruption. Still, their go-slow protest will deflect the public's annoyance away from the government for a few days.

SMHarman
06-12-2007, 19:03
must fuel pumps are not even in the tank. most fuel pumps operate on the basis of sucking it out of the tank up to the front of the car at low pressure and then increasing the pressure for the last short part of the journey. Having high pressure fuel lines the length of the car is dangerousWe can disagree on this. Many cars now use an impeller type pump in the tank and a lack of fuel can cause the impeller to melt to itself.

Hom3r
06-12-2007, 20:58
I did read somewhere that it is best to fill up (petrol) in the morning when it colder, only apply gentle pressure to the pump so that the fuel doesn't thunder in to the tank as the fumes that come of, you're paying for.

Also never fill up while or for some period after a tanker has been, the muck in the tank gets stirred up and can end in your tank.

bw41101
08-12-2007, 17:47

With respect, not quite right. The price of a litre of petrol in Saudi Arabia (currently) stands at 60 Hallalas.

100 Hallalas = 1 Riyal
1 Riyal = 14 Pence
7.6 Riyals = 1 pound

In addition (from reliable sources) that King Abdulla has decreed that the price of petrol (from January) will be reduced by a further 30% - Sickening isn't it? :mad:

And what have we got - a government full of Greedy, blood squeezing parasites, hell bent on robbing the public at every opportunity. :mad: What's so farcical is that WE also are an oil producing nation, yet (somehow) we don't seem to benefit from this.

Like I've said in an earlier post, the Government and the oil companies are always the winners - whereas we are always the losers. :mad: A situation which will never change.

Si thee

Hom3r
08-12-2007, 18:05
1.00 Saudi Arabian riyals = 0.13 British pounds sterling
or about 8p a litre

Xaccers
08-12-2007, 18:28
I miss Saudi :(

Mr_love_monkey
08-12-2007, 22:38
I miss Saudi :(

Wasn't she October's Playmate of the month?

mrmistoffelees
08-12-2007, 22:53
Wasn't she October's Playmate of the month?

Indeed, it was an eye's only special...................;):erm:

http://www.themuslimwoman.org/images/british_muslim_women.jpg

bw41101
08-12-2007, 23:41
Ah those middle eastern eyes. However when one used to fly away from Saudi, as soon as the aircraft took off and away from Saudi airspace. Those same women (wearing the abaya's) would disappear into the toilets and emerge later in tight jeans and tee shirts - then it wasn't the eyes one looked at. :naughty:

Let's not deviate from the post - happy memories all the same. :D

Si thee

Xaccers
09-12-2007, 02:23
Ah those middle eastern eyes. However when one used to fly away from Saudi, as soon as the aircraft took off and away from Saudi airspace. Those same women (wearing the abaya's) would disappear into the toilets and emerge later in tight jeans and tee shirts - then it wasn't the eyes one looked at. :naughty:

Let's not deviate from the post - happy memories all the same. :D

Si thee

Funny you should mention that, when dad was working for Uncle Gadaffi's oil fields (see, still on topic, honest), the women did the same!

Tricky
19-01-2008, 16:40
I've just filled up today £1.09 a litre at supermarket
£63.50 for a tank!

This is a joke, even my mileage rate that I can claim at work comes no where near the cost per mile to drive. How long before people cannot actually afford to drive to work/school etc.

Nidge
19-01-2008, 17:43
I've just filled up today £1.09 a litre at supermarket
£63.50 for a tank!

This is a joke, even my mileage rate that I can claim at work comes no where near the cost per mile to drive. How long before people cannot actually afford to drive to work/school etc.

There is a garage down the road from me on the A614 roundabout where it's £1.11 per litre.:shocked::shocked: I'll not be filling up there.

LSainsbury
19-01-2008, 17:51
Tell me about it...for work I have spreadsheet which I use to track mileage, cost per fill up, journey to and from customer site, and totals.

It's scary reading and only getting worse by the week....errr make that by the day as Tesco appear to put fuel up every day!

Hom3r
19-01-2008, 17:59
I've gone up from 10/11p a mile up to 14p a mile to run my car on diesel this is rapidly taking the mick

cleshe
21-01-2008, 23:22
What the heck is going on with the cost of fuel?

In the space of two weeks the average cost of diesel has jumped by 5p a litre.

The average cost of a litre near me is £1.05p,

This is getting way beyond a poxy joke.

The price of petrol annoys us all, always has.Many years ago I was moaning about it.
A friend asked me "How much were you earning when you bought your first car, and how many gallons did you get for £1?"
The answer was £10 a week, and petrol cost 5 shillings (old money), 4 gallons a pound.If I'd spent it all I'd have got 40 gallons.
These days it's sold in litres, so roughly £4.50 a gallon.
Despite all the recent rises, I think it's still cheaper now than it was in 1960!

That's not to say that I don't moan just as loud when it goes up again.

saabmania2
22-01-2008, 06:57
I've just filled up the wife's and mine car and mine today and it cost £136 usually around the £120 mark local large shell station is 109.5 for unleaded and 113.9 for deisel:shocked:.
my wife only has a little 306 deisel does 50+ to the gallon:angel:,but my car well thats differant matter depends on how much you put your foot down:D, it's a bit like me though it drinks like a fish but it's fun :p:

WHISTLED
22-01-2008, 08:20
God thats high - I was complianing my local garage is £1.02 for unleaded (its usually one of the cheapest in Manchester)

lostandconfused
22-01-2008, 08:30
I've just filled up the wife's and mine car and mine today and it cost £136 usually around the £120 mark local large shell station is 109.5 for unleaded and 113.9 for deisel:shocked:.
my wife only has a little 306 deisel does 50+ to the gallon:angel:,but my car well thats differant matter depends on how much you put your foot down:D, it's a bit like me though it drinks like a fish but it's fun :p:

:shocked: thats high! it was only 1.11 in a motorway services this weekend, and they normally add a good 10p onto the price

dave6x
22-01-2008, 08:55
:shocked: thats high! it was only 1.11 in a motorway services this weekend, and they normally add a good 10p onto the priceDiesel was 109.9p at my local Tesco's when I filled up on Saturday!

keithwalton
22-01-2008, 10:39
prices have just jumped up around here as well, it was 101.9 for petrol and now its 104.9 which has knocked vpower upto 111.9 :( i think diesel is up to 109.9 or so now as well, who knows what vpower diesel is like now probably around 116.9,
I remember when i brought that stuff back in September for 101.9! as I didn't mind paying abit more for a better fuel. Oh how times change