PDA

View Full Version : Sports Personallity of the Year 2007

Hom3r
30-11-2007, 21:16
Right guys & gals

It's that time of year again.

Whos gonna win

Joe Calzaghe - Undisputed world super-middleweight boxing champion.
Lewis Hamilton - World championship runner-up in his rookie Formula One season.
Ricky Hatton - Fights Floyd Mayweather for WBC world title on eve of show.
Andy Murray - Broke into the world top 10 despite an injury that ruled him out of Wimbledon.
Christine Ohuruogu - Returned from one-year ban for missing three drugs tests to land world 400m title in Osaka.
Paula Radcliffe - Won the New York Marathon just 10 months after giving birth to a baby daughter.
Jason Robinson - Retired after playing key part in England making the Rugby World Cup final.
Justin Rose - Captured golf's European Order of Merit title.
James Toseland - Claimed the World Superbikes Championship for the second time.
Jonny Wilkinson - Shrugged off injury to help England to Rugby World Cup final.

Callumpy
01-12-2007, 15:30
I hate sport and dont know any of those people except justin rose!

Wicked_and_Crazy
01-12-2007, 15:54
Sadly i suspect Hamilton will win it even though the team threw everything away and cheated.

Lets face it F1 is the most uncompetitive motor sport there is, proved by putting a rookie in the best car and then doing so well. No denying he has talent but its the car that has competitive edge, no o much the driver.

Shadow Demon UK
01-12-2007, 16:46
If Hatton wins next Sunday morning he should definately win it with out doubt but i don't think he will win it whether he wins the fight or not. Hamilton will win it but he shouldn't, he did well but i don't think he is great yet, if he has a repeat season next year then maybe he will deserve it.

Hom3r
09-12-2007, 15:29
Right peeps its on tonight,

Will Hattons defeat go against him, and is hamilton still favourite.

Osem
09-12-2007, 16:29
Calzaghe probably deserves it but despite his achievements he suffers from not having the sort of mass popularity outside Wales that the huge audiences on terrestrial TV (enjoyed by the likes of Frank Bruno, Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank etc. over the years ) would have guaranteed him.

Hatton could well have won had the result last night been different.

I'm no great fan of F1 but Lewis Hamilton is a huge talent and has just the right image. IMO he would have walked it had he won the F1 championship but could still do so. Yes he had a great car but so did the reigning champion Alonso and Hamilton was a rookie.

Hamilton gets my vote just and given our abysmal record in tennis Andy Murray would be my outsider.

Maggy
09-12-2007, 17:02
Frankly I think they are just making the best of a bad year..:erm:

Shadow Demon UK
09-12-2007, 17:36
Frankly I think they are just making the best of a bad year..:erm:

You think Joe Calzaghe has had a bad year? :confused:

homealone
09-12-2007, 18:02
You think Joe Calzaghe has had a bad year? :confused:

As he is, along with Toseland, one of only two World Champions in the nominees, it would be wrong not to give him the credit for that.

- however the rest are making up the numbers, a little, in my opinion, which I think is what Incog was alluding to?

Maggy
09-12-2007, 18:29
As he is, along with Toseland, one of only two World Champions in the nominees, it would be wrong not to give him the credit for that.

- however the rest are making up the numbers, a little, in my opinion, which I think is what Incog was alluding to?

Correct!I was merely alluding to the fact that there is very small field of successful competitors this year..sadly.:erm:

Hom3r
09-12-2007, 19:04
Just started on BBC one

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

Sadly no on HD

TheBlueRaja
09-12-2007, 19:11
It'll be some English rugby player no doubt...

Hom3r
09-12-2007, 19:13
Can't through on my mobile, not being conected on T-Mobile PAYG.

Wicked_and_Crazy
09-12-2007, 20:41
Can't through on my mobile, not being conected on T-Mobile PAYG.

:confused:

Hom3r
09-12-2007, 20:51
I got a voice telling me I cannot be connected

Cobbydaler
09-12-2007, 20:58
It'll be some English rugby player no doubt...

Umm... They were more successful than the Scottish rugby players... :erm:

Though I think Andy Murray is more deserving than Wilkinson...

Hom3r
09-12-2007, 21:03
3rd Ricky Hatton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Hatton)

2nd Lewis Hamilton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Hamilton) (2nd again)

1st Joe Calzaghe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Calzaghe)

Wicked_and_Crazy
09-12-2007, 21:03
Thank god Hamilton didnt win it (this year)

bjorkiii
09-12-2007, 21:09
That was a lovely surprise im extremely glad it wasnt the result what most people expected' Hamilton if he is as good as everyone seems to say he is will have plenty of time to win it wont he ;) good on you joe well done :clap:

Osem
09-12-2007, 21:15
The only people who'll be sorry that Calzaghe won will be those who won't be able to carry on whingeing about all the English bias......

......but then again they probably will.

Well done Joe!

Shadow Demon UK
09-12-2007, 21:40
Calzaghe definately deserved it and so did his dad :tu:

Good to see Hatton come third aswell.

TheDaddy
09-12-2007, 22:22
The only people who'll be sorry that Calzaghe won will be those who won't be able to carry on whingeing about all the English bias......

......but then again they probably will.

Well done Joe!

I am glad he won, didn't think he would though, after all when was his last fight on normal tv?

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

Correct!I was merely alluding to the fact that there is very small field of successful competitors this year..sadly.:erm:

Well there are champions like Victoria Pendelton who didn't get much of a mention so :shrug:

Help!!!
09-12-2007, 22:38
Hamilton likes second place dont he

peanut
09-12-2007, 22:43
Well there are champions like Victoria Pendelton who didn't get much of a mention so :shrug:

Who? :shrug:

TheDaddy
09-12-2007, 22:50
Who? :shrug:

Exactly, she has only won three world championship gold medals this year and been named The Times Sportswomen of the Year (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Pendleton)

Delta Whiskey
09-12-2007, 23:07
How come the cycling team who won seven gold medals didn't win the team award?

homealone
09-12-2007, 23:26
Calzaghe definately deserved it and so did his dad :tu:

Good to see Hatton come third aswell.

I agree, it was a good overall result for the placings, I thought :tu:

Osem
14-12-2007, 09:49
How come the cycling team who won seven gold medals didn't win the team award?

Probably because there's a great deal more rugby on TV than cycling and possibly because there were very high expectations of the cycling team which didn't apply to the rugby team.

TheDaddy
15-12-2007, 09:22
Probably because there's a great deal more rugby on TV than cycling and possibly because there were very high expectations of the cycling team which didn't apply to the rugby team.

All true but you'd have thought they'd have deserved a mention though, if not a nomination