PDA

View Full Version : The Long and the Short of Life

Maggy
28-11-2007, 15:39
Why do I have to adapt to the world of retailers?Why can't they accommodate me..All I want is a fairly inexpensive backed bookcase 80 cm W,30 cm D and 213 cm high.

Can get everything I want but only at some outrageous price of £300/£400.

That's one hell of a jump from £50 for a 183 cm high bookcase from Argos.

I don't want fitted I just want 2 cheap standalone bookcases to fit into two alcoves

Also why can't they all use the same measuring system..Some use cms and some use mm and of course some use feet and inches.:rolleyes:

This is all online by the way..if anyone knows where I can get what I want please say so.

Raistlin
28-11-2007, 15:44
Pass, sorry. We're having problems finding the furniture that we want as well..... :(

As it's for inside of two alcoves (and I know this doesn't really address your original problem, you may already have thought of it, and it isn't a wonderful solution anyway, so thanks but no thanks Raistlin, keep your bloomin' snotty nose out you no good, two-bit, robe wearing has-been!!!) could you not put shelves up?

Hugh
28-11-2007, 15:44
What about Ikea?

80 x 28 x 202 Billy (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/13690607)Bookcase £49

Raistlin
28-11-2007, 15:45
What about Ikea?

80 x 28 x 203 Billy (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/13690607)Bookcase £49

It's actually 202 high, but I'll let you off :D Nice find :tu:

Hugh
28-11-2007, 15:49
What?

You must have misread it........:tiptoe:

Thanks for the heads-up.:handshake

Maggy
28-11-2007, 15:56
Pass, sorry. We're having problems finding the furniture that we want as well..... :(

As it's for inside of two alcoves (and I know this doesn't really address your original problem, you may already have thought of it, and it isn't a wonderful solution anyway, so thanks but no thanks Raistlin, keep your bloomin' snotty nose out you no good, two-bit, robe wearing has-been!!!) could you not put shelves up?

We don't want to drill into the walls..my neighbour has already done enough drilling of the communal shared wall for my liking..anyway me and hubby are pretty crap at DIY.The shelves in my son's room are just about staying in place but I suspect not for much longer.;)

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 15:59
It's actually 202 high, but I'll let you off :D Nice find :tu:

My God! - It's the incredible shrinking bookcase!

Maggy
28-11-2007, 16:00
What about Ikea?

80 x 28 x 202 Billy (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/13690607)Bookcase £49

That extra 10 cms are very important..in fact I could go all the way to 230 cms.

However I'll have a thunk about it.Thanks!

I never think of Ikea mainly because the nearest one to me is in London.

Raistlin
28-11-2007, 16:04
My God! - It's the incredible shrinking bookcase!

Yup :Yes:

One minute you're thinking you can get your tall tales on it, the next you're stuck just using it for short stories :D

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

That extra 10 cms are very important..[...]

And to think that some people would say that size doesn't matter.....it turns out an extra 4 inches (imperial measurement given for comparison only, the value of your inches can be rounded down as well as up) is important!!

Maggy
28-11-2007, 16:08

One minute you're thinking you can get your tall tales on it, the next you're stuck just using it for short stories :D

Very clever.worth a rep for that alone.:D

And to think that some people would say that size doesn't matter.....it turns out an extra 4 inches (imperial measurement given for comparison only, the value of your inches can be rounded down as well as up) is important!!

I know...it's my fault for having so many books..you won't believe the number I've given away this last fortnight.

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 16:12

What a novel joke...

mrmistoffelees
28-11-2007, 16:21
What a novel joke...

My god, you've got some spine coming out with that.........

Hugh
28-11-2007, 16:24
He should turn over a new leaf, or perhaps take a page out your book.........

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 16:33
He should turn over a new leaf, or perhaps take a page out your book.........

write [sic] back atcha!

Hugh
28-11-2007, 16:39
Author, Author!

Raistlin
28-11-2007, 16:42
Now then, if the pair of you can't behave I'll have you bound and gagged! There are literary thousands of puns that could be made, but that doesn't mean that either of you needs to display your encyclopedic knowledge of them.

So pack it in, before one of the Mod's throws the book at you.

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 16:52
you're right, we probably should stop being a right bunch of bookends.

Hugh
28-11-2007, 16:54
What he said (cos he's cute and cuddly, and erudite)

Maggy
28-11-2007, 16:56
What he said (cos he's cute and cuddly, and erudite)

And he can turn the pages with his feet...:D

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 16:58
And he can turn the pages with his feet...:D

it's not the only thing I can use :naughty: - though you have to be very careful about paper cuts

Hugh
28-11-2007, 16:59
it's not the only thing I can use :naughty: - though you have to be very careful about paper cuts
Must be handy using it as a book marker - doesn't leave an indent on the page.....;)

Maggy
28-11-2007, 17:00

Look when I said that 10 cms was important I was referring to the BOOKCASE.:p:

Hugh
28-11-2007, 17:03
Look when I said that 10 cms was important I was referring to the BOOKCASE.:p:

He wishes - try mm instead of cm :monkey:

joglynne
28-11-2007, 18:20
Could I just quickly squeese a short post in between your innuendos guys? :D

. Coggy have you considered employing a joiner. You can have as many shelves as you need cut to fit the alcoves and a joiner would just fit them for you. With a professional doing it for you it would probably just cost you the price of the wood and 1/2 a days labour.

Alien
28-11-2007, 18:30
I never think of Ikea mainly because the nearest one to me is in London.
You can buy some of their stuff online (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/) now.

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2007, 20:33
He wishes - try mm instead of cm :monkey:
You mean 'mmmmmmm' - which is what all the women say :)

Hugh
28-11-2007, 20:37
You mean 'mmmmmmm' - which is what all the women say :)
Nah, you are reading it upside down - they are saying e wwwwwwwwwww!

Graham M
28-11-2007, 20:40
Wah! I've found some nice pieces of furniture on Ikea and really good prices, but there's not one nearby here so they won't deliver, closest is Bristol!!! Oh well, suppose I will have to make a day out of it, good thing my car is economical :)

Maggy
28-11-2007, 20:42
So anyone found me a bigger bookcase yet or is this all about you two scoring points.

I seem to be really crap at Google searches..I just can't find anything.:(

Raistlin
28-11-2007, 20:48
I couldn't find anything on Google either coggy, and I have tried - honest :(

Maggy
28-11-2007, 20:52
You can buy some of their stuff online (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/) now.

I can't I'm afraid..seems their online service isn't available for my post code yet.:(

Help!!!
28-11-2007, 21:37
I would say get a carpenter to come round and make one for you, add shelves in the alcove, floating shelves it will look the dogs.

Maggy
28-11-2007, 23:42
Well I may end up doing that or I may have to muddle along until I find somewhere that will have what I want.

I really don't want fitted anything..I'd rather like to be able to shift furniture around.I've got 4 alcoves.:D

joglynne
28-11-2007, 23:52
4 alcoves. That's greedy. We haven't got a single alcove in our home and I would love a couple. :D

Maggy
28-11-2007, 23:56
4 alcoves. That's greedy. We haven't got a single alcove in our home and I would love a couple. :D

2 rooms knocked into one plus one bay window.:)

greencreeper
29-11-2007, 00:13
The Billy bookcases are very good. Sadly, I bought mine in a mid-silver colour, which they promptly stopped selling, and I cannot find anything to match. They do need securing though, otherwise they wobble. If you don't want to drill walls, may be able to attach them to the skirting board with a metal L bracket and some short screws. Much of my furniture originates from Ikea - there is no other place that sells decent furniture at a reasonable price. It's either Habitat, for which I would have to sell my body and find a second job, or Argos, whose furniture lasts but a short time before falling apart.

They do nice meatballs at Ikea - can make a day trip out of it :D

Maggy
29-11-2007, 00:30
The Billy bookcases are very good. Sadly, I bought mine in a mid-silver colour, which they promptly stopped selling, and I cannot find anything to match. They do need securing though, otherwise they wobble. If you don't want to drill walls, may be able to attach them to the skirting board with a metal L bracket and some short screws. Much of my furniture originates from Ikea - there is no other place that sells decent furniture at a reasonable price. It's either Habitat, for which I would have to sell my body and find a second job, or Argos, whose furniture lasts but a short time before falling apart.

They do nice meatballs at Ikea - can make a day trip out of it :D

A,the nearest Ikea is in central London and B,I live on the south coast,and C,I'm never driving in London ever again unless someone pays me to do so.:(

greencreeper
29-11-2007, 00:35
A,the nearest Ikea is in central London and B,I live on the south coast,and C,I'm never driving in London ever again unless someone pays me to do so.:(
Who said you had to go to the London one? Day trip further afield maybe? Set off early and head north. We're not all that bad. Some of us have electricity :p:

Maggy
29-11-2007, 00:44
Who said you had to go to the London one? Day trip further afield maybe? Set off early and head north. We're not all that bad. Some of us have electricity :p:

Well then we get into the realms of how much will it add to the costs to get what is a cheap item back home to sunny Hampshire.It would become a case of diminishing returns,I've got either London or Bristol,followed by Cardiff. as choices at the moment.Coventry isn't open yet but then there is Milton Keynes.

I think unless they deliver I'm going to have to look elsewhere.But not at the £300 plus made from real wood options sadly.Not if I want two bookcases.:(

greencreeper
29-11-2007, 00:54
They should deliver - the Leeds one does. Bit pricey but it would still be cheaper than solid wood, and better quality that something dodgy from Argos or an independant retailer. As a modern woman I would have thought a couple of lengths of pine from B&Q and you could knock together your own in an hour? :D