PDA

View Full Version : Virgin failes to update 999 database for 1.5 million customers

N00N00
25-11-2007, 01:53
Virgin carried out an audit of the info they'd put on the 999 database - 1.5 million customers have incoorect info, 330,000 of those having no info at all on there!!! :mad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=496253&in_page_id=1770

Wonder what caused this - usual Virgin incompetence or job cuts meaning not enough people to do the work?

My guess would be a bit of both.

Mick Fisher
25-11-2007, 02:35
Interesting Article, thanks...

One of the firm's primary concerns appears to have been the damage the revelation would do to its image.
:LOL:

Nothing about the antics of this cowboy outfit surprises me anymore. :(

piggy
25-11-2007, 11:00
"Last night a Virgin spokesman insisted the company had not been 'irresponsible' in not alerting either their customers or Ofcom to the issue."

well thats ok then!!

Toto
25-11-2007, 11:23
Oh, that isn't a good report.

Paul
25-11-2007, 12:15
Since when have Virgin had permission to pass any details to the emergency services - surely that's a data protection issue ?

I hope they aren't sending them in the post, on two cds ...............

Angua
25-11-2007, 12:19
Since when have Virgin had permission to pass any details to the emergency services - surely that's a data protection issue ?

:rofl: Actually given the number of queries CF gets about cabled properties not being cabled according to the database surely this should have been picked up long ago

Jon T
25-11-2007, 13:52

The document admits that in some cases, where a caller was unable to speak, emergency operators would have been unable to find any record of where the call was coming from which could have had 'fatal consequences'.

So if you need help from the emergency services and you somehow aren't able to talk, then you'd rather them not attend on the basis of a data protection issue?

Phone companies are obliged by law to update customer details on a database which flashes up on to 999 operators' computer screens the address and name of the subscriber whose phone is being used.

Im relieved at that! It would seem that this kind of information collection/passing is given an exemption under the DPA.

SnoopZ
25-11-2007, 14:43
They still haven't updated the Cambridge area post code thats recently changed, so someone needs to pull their finger out.

papa smurf
25-11-2007, 16:51
i'd like to say i'm shocked[ i'd like to ]

ECW_Original
25-11-2007, 19:27

I think the OP means that when you call 999 and ask for 1 of their services, before you can speak to them, the operator has to tell them the area, phone service provider & the full phone number, more than likely to combat hoax callers!

Had to call for the police the other week as there was an emergency, and the operator still said "cable & wireless" I really had to laugh as I have been ex Cable & Wireless for quite a few years now, ever since it became NTL lol!

Gary L
26-11-2007, 15:25
"Last night, a spokeswoman for Ofcom said it would launch an urgent investigation 'because this would appear to involve a threat to the life and limb of Virgin customers'.

She said: 'Virgin have not made Ofcom aware of this as a problem. This a very serious matter."

I'd say so too.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:11 ----------

"Last night a Virgin spokesman insisted the company had not been 'irresponsible' in not alerting either their customers or Ofcom to the issue."

That has to be the most stupidest comment ever.
If you haven't got anything sensible to say, and come across as you are not responsible for any of what has happened then keep your gob shut! :)

N00N00
29-11-2007, 23:18
I'm suprised this news didn't make it onto the main nthellworld page. More significant than a lot of the items posted there.

lostandconfused
30-11-2007, 11:57
i dont think its as big a deal as a lot of people are making it out to be, Should the emergency services not be abe to trace a number using their database, they can call the dedicated 999 team that is open 24hrs a day 365 days a year and they would be able to trace it for them. It would probably take a little bit longer but only a few minutes.

And they could lose or gain a few minutes due to road conditions when they are gettting there even if they had used the emergency serices data base

N00N00
30-11-2007, 21:06
they can call the dedicated 999 team that is open 24hrs a day 365 days a year and they would be able to trace it for them. It would probably take a little bit longer but only a few minutes.

Those few minutes will almost certinaly equal several completely avoidable deaths when we're talking about providing emergency services for 1.5 million people.

How often on tv do you see those programs about the emergency services and they say how critical the 1st hour is? If someone stops breathing or their heart stops beating you can't really just say "chill out" and wait for the extra 3 minutes delay compliments of Virgin Media.

Just think how many crimes might be solved/prevented if the police had arrived 3 minutes earlier?

Derek
30-11-2007, 23:27
Should the emergency services not be abe to trace a number using their database, they can call the dedicated 999 team that is open 24hrs a day 365 days a year and they would be able to trace it for them. It would probably take a little bit longer but only a few minutes.

Errr it's a huge deal. If the Police or Ambulance get a dropped 999 call they don't know whether it's kids playing with the phone or someone has taken a baseball bat to the head of the person making the call.
Just in case it's the 2nd option (and believe me it happens) every second counts and to have that many addresses not having correct info is pretty much inexcusable in my book.

popper
01-12-2007, 22:32
an update on this just now.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=499136&in_page_id=1770&ito=newsnow
"
Virgin Media faces £400million fine over customer database error which could have "fatal consequences"

Last updated at 21:43pm on 1st December 2007
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/i/commentIconSm.gif Comments (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=499136&in_page_id=1770#StartComments)
Virgin Media could be hit with a £400million fine after failing to provide accurate details of 1.5million of its customers' addresses for the emergency services.

The firm, Britain's second biggest phone company, was in urgent talks with industry watchdog Ofcom last week to explain why its customers were missed off or inaccurately listed on the database, which is used by police, fire and ambulance services responding to 999 calls.
If Ofcom begins a full investigation, it could impose a fine up to £400million – ten per cent of the firm's £4billion annual turnover ..."

brundles
01-12-2007, 22:35
Well it looks like "protecting the brand" could be extremely costly...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=499136&in_page_id=1770

That'd be the end of those network upgrades then!

TBH, I can't see how VM thought they should have to report it to Ofcom when those types of fines can be brought to bear as punishment.

And to think when I cancelled by (then TW) line a while back telling them I was going VOIP only they brought up the 999 lookup as a reason not to go!