PDA

View Full Version : Rochdale Phone Dead

AndrewJ
23-11-2007, 17:38
Hi guys

My phone yesterday died totally, no dialing tone, no nothing it just utterly dead not even a beep.

How would I go about reporting this to NTL?

AntiSilence
23-11-2007, 18:04
Dial 150... ;) Oh, yeah, sorry! :D

Marge
23-11-2007, 18:07
Unplug all your extension phones and just leave a wired phone in the master socket. See now if you have a dialling tone. What happens if you try to ring your home number, does it ring and cut off or keep ringing?

AndrewJ
23-11-2007, 18:54
I would if I had one :rofl:, I only have my trusty cordless :(

On trying to ring my home number it rings on the callers end but not at mine.

Marge
23-11-2007, 19:00
You really need to test it with a corded phone cos your cordless could have gone wonky :( Nip round to the neighbour and borrow theirs ;)

AndrewJ
23-11-2007, 21:26
Looks like I shall have to nosey about :D

AndrewJ
24-11-2007, 17:41
Tried another phone still dead, so called out an engineer on the mobile...

gothicdraconian
25-11-2007, 12:00
Hi

Just out of interest, how easy is it to get an engineer out?

I reported my Virgin phone line as being dead on Friday and was told i would hear from somebody within 72 hours. It is now Sunday and my line is still dead and i have yet to receive any call.

When i called the helpline number, i was through to the UK and then transerferred, presumably to India where i got the idea i was fobbed off. I asked if they could provide me with any reference number as proof of me calling and they gave me a number 408****. Does anybody know if this is a valid number?
I am a bit reluctant to keep calling them as it costs an awful lot from my mobile each time.

Thanks

lostandconfused
30-11-2007, 12:06
Hi

Just out of interest, how easy is it to get an engineer out?

I reported my Virgin phone line as being dead on Friday and was told i would hear from somebody within 72 hours. It is now Sunday and my line is still dead and i have yet to receive any call.

When i called the helpline number, i was through to the UK and then transerferred, presumably to India where i got the idea i was fobbed off. I asked if they could provide me with any reference number as proof of me calling and they gave me a number 408****. Does anybody know if this is a valid number?
I am a bit reluctant to keep calling them as it costs an awful lot from my mobile each time.

Thanks

when you call in to report the fault, the agent should be asking you certain questions, eg do you have a dial tone etc. Dependant on your answer with determine if a tech needs to be sent out or if it needs to be sent to 2nd level .

it sounds like the latter as if not they would have booked it there and then. It could be that it wasnt sent correctly, or sent to the wrong dept. I would give them until the 72 hours and call up to chase it.

Dave A
01-12-2007, 00:52
Might sound daft but if you know where your street cabinet is located, check to see that it is locked and that no one has been pokeing about inside. if it's open might be a possible that your cable connection might of been unplugged.

gothicdraconian
07-12-2007, 13:28
Just thought i would post an update to my situation.

I actually had an engineer come out on the 28th Nov. He said it was a cable issue between the road and the building.
Another team attended yesterday (6th Dec) and said the phone line would be working today after another visit.

I've just received a call from Virgin on my mobile saying that they need to give 30 days notice to close the road or whatever to get it fixed and this is booked for January 15th 2008! At that point, it will be at least 7 weeks without a working telephone service.

I would just like to ask if anybody else has ever suffered such a huge time without service? I appreciate that procedures have to be followed but this appears to be so poor, it's laughable.

It costs me an arm and a leg each time i have to call Virgin from my mobile so i simply do not know what to do now. Are there any reps on this board who could look into this and at least send me an email confirming what will be happening as it was quite hard to understand the person who called me earlier.
TIA