PDA

View Full Version : Can BT do anything for a noise line ?

zc1
23-11-2007, 12:31
Hi,

Can BT do anything for a noise line ?

Graham M
23-11-2007, 12:47
Depends what you mean?

zc1
23-11-2007, 12:51
Hi,

It is crackly if that any help

southwell
23-11-2007, 12:51
Phone BT and ask for an engineer to come out. Has it always been bad?

zc1
23-11-2007, 12:59
Hi,

I believe it has, only had it turned on last month, will need to phone sky as we pay sky for line rental

southwell
23-11-2007, 13:06
Sky have their service through BT, you should be paying your monthly fee to BT? I do.

zc1
23-11-2007, 13:12
Hi,

When my mum signed up to Sky Talk and order BB she was told it would be £5 per month for Sky Talk and £10 per month line rental that would be added to the sky bill.

So I am presuming we contact Sky, thought not sure :confused:

Edit

We will find out tomorrow when I or my mum phone Sky about it.
So I will try and remember to post back here once I have found out

PeteTheMusicGuy
23-11-2007, 13:23
if your line rental is via BT faults is 0800 800 151

Pierre
23-11-2007, 13:37
It's BT's Line and they will have to do the fault resolution.

That said whenever I have reported a fault with BT they've been very good and very quick.

zc1
23-11-2007, 14:03
Hi,

Just read the stuff we got when my mum signed up with Sky Talk and we do pay Sky for line rental and we need to call Sky if there a problem with the line, who I presume goes to BT or something like that.

Will phone them tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all your replies :D

southwell
23-11-2007, 14:07
How strange is that, Sky said i had to keep paying BT, although my Sky talk is the free one....

Graham M
23-11-2007, 14:30
You still need to pay BT the line rental

zc1
23-11-2007, 14:42
Hi,

But we pay the line rental to Sky instead.
I believe Sky told my mum they take over the line

PeteTheMusicGuy
23-11-2007, 16:28
I thought sky only did calls and ADSL maybe they started to offer line rental it's possible

zc1
24-11-2007, 09:58
Hi,

Update:
I tested the test socket and it was the same.
When I remove the master socket to get to the test socket. It seems the master socket plugs straight into the test socket anyway.

Phoned Sky up and they said they would do a line test and called me back, so they call me back and said line test ok,but he went on said there could still be a fault and went on to put it on the BT system as a fault, and went on to say about the charges I may get charged if the fault is with my phone etc...

Said I may get an engineer come out on Monday.

Paul K
24-11-2007, 10:08
The front plate plugs in via the test socket, using the test socket just isolates the device on the line so that any extensions etc are not getting in the way or causing the interference. Did you try a different phone on the socket in case it's actually the phone causing the problem?
May get an engineer on Monday? Hmmmmm I think that would be extremely lucky if that turned out to be correct as normally there is a delay in getting the engineer in. If the fault turns out to be nothing to do with the BT side of the equipment you may have a bill arriving on your doorstep, that's why they tell you about charges.

zc1
24-11-2007, 10:16
Hi,

Yes tried other phone 3 infact and one of the phones are known to be working as I was given it by my brother who just changed to cordless.

Yep, I was told the 26th Monday thought it was a bit quick myself, will find out Monday

Paul K
24-11-2007, 10:37
Cool, as long as you did those checks then you have done all you can to test the line, checking a phone against the line or the current phone against another line is a good way of showing it's not your equipment at fault.

dragon
24-11-2007, 11:20
Hi,

Update:
I tested the test socket and it was the same.
When I remove the master socket to get to the test socket. It seems the master socket plugs straight into the test socket anyway.

Phoned Sky up and they said they would do a line test and called me back, so they call me back and said line test ok,but he went on said there could still be a fault and went on to put it on the BT system as a fault, and went on to say about the charges I may get charged if the fault is with my phone etc...

Said I may get an engineer come out on Monday.

Could be a lots of things that will cause noise, could be a problem on the cable pair between you and the exchange or it could even be something in the exchange.

You would only get charged if its proven to be something of yours causing the problems.

zc1
24-11-2007, 11:27
Hi,

Further Update
The line seem to have good noise free at the moment, so have cancelled engineer and will keep a close eye on it.

Thanks for all your help :D

dragon
24-11-2007, 12:29
Hi,

Further Update
The line seem to have good noise free at the moment, so have cancelled engineer and will keep a close eye on it.

Thanks for all your help :D

Could be weather related (expansion, contraction or water leakage in the joints)

Could even be something in the transmission network, although I'd expect that to be fixed pretty sharpish since it would affect everyone else using the same route so it would get noticed pretty quickly.

PS1
25-11-2007, 09:58
my first thing to check when a line has been reported noisey but is testing ok would be the drop wire(from your house to the pole)(providing thats how your fed).since the change in weather the last few weeks,all i seem so be doing is changing these flipping things.no wonder my back is bad today(or is that just something to do with how much i drank on friday night):D

with regards to the time between reporting a fault and an enginneer comming out,lately ive had a few that were reported after 5pm and i picked the job up 8am the next morning.obviously that differs from area to area.