PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Alliance And Leicester!

TraxData
23-11-2007, 08:42
Got my bank statement today (funnily last months came today as well, as did other mail, thanks royal mail :rolleyes:)

Not used my account for the last month (as all my work has been cash in hand, and right now i dont pay any bills :D)

Anyway, look at statement, and the £200 that should be in there has gone, all of it, and i've got £150 worth of overdraft charges :rolleyes:

Ring them up, tell them i havent spent it and my card must have been cloned, and all i get told is "nothing we can do about it sir, you've been using your card (refused to believe i hadnt) and now they have disabled it until i pay the overdraft charges)

£25 overdraft charge each though :shocked:

Gotta go to a meeting now next week with the manager (yes, i need to use my card and now cant)

Bloody **** bank!

Anyone know a GOOD bank?

Paul K
23-11-2007, 08:47
We had the same with Abbey, as long as you know you haven't used the card then you can get them to investigate any fraudulent transactions and refund the money. This unfortunately takes time as they have to first investigate what the payments were and where they occured, then they have to agree that they were fraudulent and start the refund process.
When we joined Alliance and Leicester we were told that in these circumstances if A&L could see that the transactions were indeed fraudulent that the moeny would be refunded within a very short period of time and that they would then look to get the money back from whoever was at fault for it.

superbiatch
23-11-2007, 10:31
I had the same with Abbey, all i could suggest is to maybe use a credit card until its all sorted - it can take up to 3 weeks!

Your bank may be reluctant to look into it because its a lot of hassle, but stick to your guns and speak to the fraud dept within your bank, check your statement and highlight all the transactions you haven't made. Lastly phone the police when armed with enough information as you will need a crime number. For instance i found out my card was used to purchase mobile phones from Three and they were delivered to Guildford (i think!). My bank had the full address and were liasing with the police, although they'd never give me the full address and the police never followed it up. My plan of sending a friend around with a baseball bat was unacceptable so i was told :dozey:

maddyp
26-11-2007, 22:32
report it to the police and get a crime reference number. the bank should have a fraud dept that works with the police for this kind of thing.

superbiatch
26-11-2007, 23:06
report it to the police and get a crime reference number. the bank should have a fraud dept that works with the police for this kind of thing.

Not in my experience unfortunately, fraud dept just tried to pin it on me and the police were no use whatsoever - maybe they were too busy attending real crimes :erm:

Vlad_Dracul
29-11-2007, 10:16
You pay bank charges? how quaint. May i refer you to www.nationwide.co.uk (http://www.nationwide.co.uk) Just arrange an authorised overdraught and if you slip into the red a bit,no problem. You just pat a little bit of interest. No nasty letters,no nasty charges.

TraxData
29-11-2007, 19:11
Not in my experience unfortunately, fraud dept just tried to pin it on me and the police were no use whatsoever - maybe they were too busy attending real crimes :erm:

Which is exactly what has happened to me, refused to give me my money back, refused to drop the overdraft charges, refused to accept my details were cloned.

So i said fine, i want to close my account and never have to deal with your company again, but they wont close it unless i pay off the charges, which adds to another £150 from monday apparently.

And now they are threatening me and claiming they are going to affect my credit rating.

Unfair, no?

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

You pay bank charges? how quaint. May i refer you to www.nationwide.co.uk (http://www.nationwide.co.uk) Just arrange an authorised overdraught and if you slip into the red a bit,no problem. You just pat a little bit of interest. No nasty letters,no nasty charges.

Heard alot of bad things about nationwide?

I was thinking TSB instead?

dragon
29-11-2007, 20:32
Point out that bank charges are infact illegal

lostandconfused
30-11-2007, 09:34
Point out that bank charges are infact illegal

not until the test case (i think with HBOS) has been heard and judged

Graham M
30-11-2007, 09:40

Ah Lloyds, yes, been with them since I left school and have never had any problems - banks being banks this cannot be said for people I know with Lloyds accounts but it's all swings and roundabouts, been in a couple of times where my wages haven't gone in on time and I've incurred charges and they've reversed them no problem.

(Seriously, on the Lloyds system they go into your account details and there is something like a charges screen, if you have incurred a £30 charge, they will open this screen on your account and all it has in the middle is like a text box with the ammount and a button with "Save" written on it, all they type is 0 and click Save :p:)

Delta Whiskey
30-11-2007, 10:52
Go into your local Alliance & Leicester branch and make a fuss, demand to see the manager or someone who is going to sort the mess out for you. Take as much proof as you can that you didn't use the card (what did the statement show had been purchased, the bank will know where in the country the money went). If they still try to fob you off, refuse to leave until they do take you seriously, if they call the police, all the better, you can explain to the police what's happened and get them involved on your side.

Drastic stuff, but you need to be pro-active.

As someone who has been known to loudly complain at the lack of interest shown by sales staff (Hello!!, I like to give this store some money, is the Manager around??) sometimes it pays to make a noise.

Vlad_Dracul
30-11-2007, 23:22
Which is exactly what has happened to me, refused to give me my money back, refused to drop the overdraft charges, refused to accept my details were cloned.

So i said fine, i want to close my account and never have to deal with your company again, but they wont close it unless i pay off the charges, which adds to another £150 from monday apparently.

And now they are threatening me and claiming they are going to affect my credit rating.

Unfair, no?

Been with nationwide nearly 20 years..cant fault them

popper
01-12-2007, 00:11

Unfair, no?

given its the banks and especially A&L your far better off going to
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/

and asking for advice there, it will most likely involve sending an official data protection act letter, and perhaps a small claim to get them to look at your case properly and receave your rights under the UK consumer rights act etc.....

if you are going to give them the benefit of not getting serious PDQ, or at least show your willingness to go the legal route if they force you to, then its unlikely they will return your money.

TraxData
21-12-2007, 15:53
given its the banks and especially A&L your far better off going to
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/alliance-leicester/

and asking for advice there, it will most likely involve sending an official data protection act letter, and perhaps a small claim to get them to look at your case properly and receave your rights under the UK consumer rights act etc.....

if you are going to give them the benefit of not getting serious PDQ, or at least show your willingness to go the legal route if they force you to, then its unlikely they will return your money.

Well, after a rather big arguement with the manager over footing the "illegal" charges they imposed on my account, we both agreed that the account would just be closed and that would be that.

Then, this morning, i get a letter saying i now owe them £273 in "charges" eve n though the account is closed, seems the little ***** decided to add another £160 on top of the other charges, and now im being threatened with court action and now my credit rating is going to be effected, now what do i do?

Because they stole money from my account, paypal had a do with me over it and now they are constantly getting a company called N.C.O to ring me, 4 or 5 times daily (isnt this harassment?), good thing i know N.C.O cant actually do anything and despite sending a card saying they'll turn up on tuesday, i know full well they wont.

All in all, what a crap day.