PDA

View Full Version : Any Taxi Drivers Here?

Graham M
15-11-2007, 10:08
I'm sure there must be!

Hi guys, I'm going through the motions of applying for my Hackney license (Boy, what a long drawn out procedure!) anyways, for the knowledge test, can anyone give me some hints on learning the roads I don't know in the area that I have to know?

Cheers!

Zeph

Graham M
15-11-2007, 15:58
Noone got any tips at all?

Uncle Peter
15-11-2007, 16:42
Is there anywhere you can get a list of streets for your area? Make a list of the ones you're not familiar with and find out where they are with multimap/streetmap. Maybe you could spend a few days going through the list at random and seeing if you can work out how to drive there?

Might be a bit of a daunting task mind you.

Graham M
15-11-2007, 16:50
Yeah ive got maps, etc. and so on I've been an operator for 2 years so I know a lot of the roads and areas, it's just a case of filling in the gaps!

altis
15-11-2007, 17:05
I seem to remember Fred Housego or someone saying that they went out for days on their bike. You'll notice a lot more than in a car, it's healthier for you and the environment and it's free!

Graham M
15-11-2007, 17:20
Yeah not a bad idea Altis, if we get some nice days where I'm free I may well do that!

Nidge
16-11-2007, 18:20
I'm sure there must be!

Hi guys, I'm going through the motions of applying for my Hackney license (Boy, what a long drawn out procedure!) anyways, for the knowledge test, can anyone give me some hints on learning the roads I don't know in the area that I have to know?

Cheers!

Zeph

Ask the local cabbies who have done the knowledge if the questions are the same all the time? You'll find out that the questions the Council will ask you are the same questions they ask all the new applicants.

The Hitman
16-11-2007, 18:36
Could always buy a good ol fashioned SatNav

Graham M
07-12-2007, 10:47
Could always buy a good ol fashioned SatNav

Our cabs have them built in so that's no bother, you still have to pass the knowledge test (I have my own as well) just got my copy of the CRB disclosure through today, looking good :)

punky
07-12-2007, 12:45
Just curious, but have you moved to London? Or do you still need to do The Knowlege to drive a hackney carriage in Dorset?

orangebird
07-12-2007, 12:48
Just curious, but have you moved to London? Or do you still need to do The Knowlege to drive a hackney carriage in Dorset?

The formal taxi license is called the Hackney license regardless of where you operate. :)

punky
07-12-2007, 12:59
The formal taxi license is called the Hackney license regardless of where you operate. :)

Indeed. But seems a bit silly to learn about London's streets if you're going to be driving around Dorset.

Mr_love_monkey
07-12-2007, 13:18
Indeed. But seems a bit silly to learn about London's streets if you're going to be driving around Dorset.

I think it's just called 'The Knowledge' where ever you are - you're learning about the streets in your area, not london.

Knobbly
07-12-2007, 13:21

I do, after you've got your Hackney plates please remember where your indicators and mirrors are and remember that your horn is not meant to be used to wake a whole neighbourhood up at 3am, this'll give you a bit of individuality from every other taxi driver who's convinced that once they start carrying fares the highway code no longer applies to them.

Good luck!

orangebird
07-12-2007, 13:42

It's called the knowledge regardless of which streets you're learning. My dad was a London cabbie -he loved it. There's a really good film called 'The Knowledge' about 5 guys doing exactly that in London. Hilarious, and dad says, very true too. :D

Wicked_and_Crazy
07-12-2007, 13:53
You need to learn to talk total rubbish to passengers, oohhh no worries you have that mastered already :D

punky
07-12-2007, 14:31
Ahh, right cheers :dunce:

Nidge
07-12-2007, 17:23

You still have to do the KOL (knowledge of London) It takes somehwere in the region of 5 years to become a London Cabbie, after you have passed your KOL you can only get a yellow badge, this badge allows you to work the suburbs only, to get your green badge you have to take another KOL test to enable you to work in the City of London, that's where the money is.

Vlad_Dracul
10-12-2007, 16:30

Yeaahh,daant gahh saff of the river after midnight...

Graham M
12-12-2007, 18:27
Yeaahh,daant gahh saff of the river after midnight...

Which river? I think we're south of ALL rivers here :p

Maggy
12-12-2007, 18:46
Which river? I think we're south of ALL rivers here :p

I'm not. I'm parallel with the River Itchen which flows into Southampton..So I guess that will be true of any rivers on the south coast. Hi neighbour.;)

Graham M
12-12-2007, 18:50
Evening Neighbour, I think the closest river to me is the Avon, which is about 10 miles North :D