PDA

View Full Version : SKY+ without Satelite or Card

jcumpsty
14-11-2007, 13:46
Hi.

I have an old Amstrad Sky+ box. 6 months ago I upgraded the 40gb HDD to 250GB. It worked fine until about 3 weeks ago when it started rebooting randomly.

This morning sky came and installed a brand new Sky+ box.

I now have 100gb worth of recordings on my old sky+ box.

Should I be able to put the old hard drive in the new box? I expect not.
Is there a hack to let me access the old box away from the Sky+ satelite connection? And also without a viewing card as this will now be in the new box? I dont want to watch TV on it...just view my recordings. I did try this off a satellite connection some time ago and it worked for 30 minutes.

THanks.

dilli-theclaw
14-11-2007, 13:54
Welcome to the site :)

I think it needs an active signal to be mainted for that to work.

p.s. I've moved your thread to the sky+ section so it's more relavent

Acathla
14-11-2007, 16:53
You can copy your old recordings to your PC then back over to your new drive I am sure. Obviously this means opening your box and voiding warranty but have a look at http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/

handyman
14-11-2007, 17:59
Here's a thought.

We need to get Claire's gran a better set-up as she currently has a 32" LCD TV with built in free-view recorder. This is connected to a Phillips divx DVD recorder she got as a present.

She's trying to record through video plus but this Phillips box is useless. I spent 2 years manning the phones at ntl and thought myself capable of getting any kit to work together but I think even if I can the steps to do it would be beyond her.

Ideally we want her on sky+ as it is easy but she wont subscribe and won't have us pay for it either. I saw an offer on sky the other day that was £75 box, install and 3 months free base mixes which you could cancel after the 3 months was up and use as free-sat.

If I get a 2nd hand sky+ box and pop in a larger hd and then get sky to add this to her account during the 3 months will it continue to run as a sky+ box after the free trial period?

Sorry for dropping this in the thread but it seemed along the same lines.

Tezcatlipoca
14-11-2007, 19:35
If I get a 2nd hand sky+ box and pop in a larger hd and then get sky to add this to her account during the 3 months will it continue to run as a sky+ box after the free trial period?

Sky+ functionality requires a Sky TV subscription, or a £10/month Sky+ subscription.

If the mixes are cancelled after the 3 month period, & the box is used as a "Freesat" box, then the Sky+ functions will be disabled (unless you pay £10/month for a Sky+ sub., or keep the mixes).

handyman
14-11-2007, 20:49
Hmmm looks like it could be a freeview hard drive recorder then.