PDA

View Full Version : Joining a Gym

gazzae
13-11-2007, 09:37
I'm thinking about joining a gym.

There are two options near me, JJB Fitness and Fitness First. They both have pretty much the same facilities and are roughly the same cost per month.

Is anyone here member of either of these gyms, what are your experiences, good or bad.

Thanks.

Chris W
13-11-2007, 10:06
I had Fitness First membership when i lived in London. Decent facilities and always very clean and hygienic. Managed to negociate a good deal for joining as well- No joining free, and if i took platinum membership, my partner got gold membership free.

Remember though that you'll be tied into a 12month contract, so if you are not sure about your commitment I would think about a gym that you can pay per visit or are only commited for a month at a time. I moved from London to Reading and spoke to Fitness First regarding cancelling after 6 months because my nearest gym is now a good half hour drive away. They wouldn't budge at all- couldn't cancel, couldn't downgrade my membership so ended up paying over £300 for gym membership i couldn't use. :td:

gazzae
13-11-2007, 10:22
Its something I've been thinking about for a while.

I think the minimum contract at JJB is 6 months.

Do Fitness First charge for classes/instructors?

Wicked_and_Crazy
13-11-2007, 12:09
Thinking about it and going are wildly different. I joined a Gym in August this year and am still going 3 times a week, which does suprise me.

I'd take Chris's advice and see if you can negotiate a one month membership initially just to see how much use you make of it. Its an expensive commitment if you get fed up or dont enjoy it after a month and have to pay for the year.

Check to see how they set you up on a personal fitness programme and how its monitored. For me if there are no targets then it gets boring. If you have a schedule and targets your much more likely to keep it up

Graham M
13-11-2007, 12:46
Out of the 2, I'd definitely go for Fitness First, they're a well known name and always have good facilities, plus JJB will probably be full of chavs trying to look "buff"! lol :D

gazzae
13-11-2007, 13:06
I will have the motivation to go, as I'm doing a half marathon next year so have something to work towards.

Sort of siding with JJB at the mo, as its a lot newer than the fitness first, plus they have tanning units in the changing rooms - very vain I know!

Graham M
13-11-2007, 13:07
Alright if you like Skin Cancer I guess!

Help!!!
13-11-2007, 13:53
I will have the motivation to go, as I'm doing a half marathon next year so have something to work towards.

Sort of siding with JJB at the mo, as its a lot newer than the fitness first, plus they have tanning units in the changing rooms - very vain I know!
HaHa, Easyjet offer cheap flight uno!

Fingy
14-11-2007, 22:01
I'm guessing you live near the Boucher Road then.

I do not know anyone that has used JJB but know several who have used Fitness First and didn't really like it.

If you drive and it is not too far I would recommend LA Fitness at the Ramada at Shaws Bridge... Has the gym, a spin class room, a studio for classes, a pool... and for the vain side sun beds and Clarins treatment rooms! ;)

Mr Angry
14-11-2007, 22:44
I would recommend LA Fitness at the Ramada at Shaws Bridge... Has the gym, a spin class room, a studio for classes, a pool... and for the vain side sun beds and Clarins treatment rooms! ;)

More importantly, Ma Fingy, is the fact that it's also in close proximity to a bar!!

gazzae
14-11-2007, 23:14
I'm guessing you live near the Boucher Road then.

Nah, they have opened a new one beside the abbey centre which is 2 minutes down the road from me.

Fingy
16-11-2007, 09:02
More importantly, Ma Fingy, is the fact that it's also in close proximity to a bar!!

Damn I've been caught out. Now you know why I joined that one. :blush:

PeteTheMusicGuy
16-11-2007, 10:42
More importantly, Ma Fingy, is the fact that it's also in close proximity to a bar!! So are the Gyms at the top of the boucher road ;)

Vlad_Dracul
16-11-2007, 18:59
I'm thinking about joining a gym.

There are two options near me, JJB Fitness and Fitness First. They both have pretty much the same facilities and are roughly the same cost per month.

Is anyone here member of either of these gyms, what are your experiences, good or bad.

Thanks.

This is how these places thrive. People know they should take more excercise. They want to keep fit,stave off advancing years and generally look after themselves. Unfortunately excercise involves a certain level of will power and some suffering too!

What is our soultion? Throw some money at it. Unfortunately it isnt a cure. All it means is that when you do feel the pain of excercise,you will be several pounds lighter in the pocket rather than in the body.

You can excercise free of charge. Just step outside the door and walk,run or cycle. Its all free.

Most people who join gyms sign up with good intent,go for a few weeks ,then realise it aint so easy. They then don't bother going but unfortunately,they are still tethered to an expensive contract.

gazzae
17-11-2007, 00:37
You can excercise free of charge. Just step outside the door and walk,run or cycle. Its all free.

Maybe in the summer, but with dark nights, cold and rain I'd rather not

Nidge
17-11-2007, 04:59
JJB over Fitness First any day, Fitness first are going down the pan if you ask me, we've got a new JJB opening in Mansfield in January and it's going to soak Fitness First, Fitness First have become to complacent in recent years, the club in Mansfield is on it's knees, it's only been open 6 years but if you look at the inside of the club you'd think it's been open alot longer. Over the last few weeks all the members have been saying we are going over the road to the new JJB, Fitness First have got the decorators in to spruce the place up, they are offering cheap membership to members to make them stay at Fitness First. If I were you I'd look at JJB because you can cancel your membership after 6 months and also there is no pressure in signing up where as at Fitness First they pressure you into signing up.

zing_deleted
17-11-2007, 08:59
Maybe in the summer, but with dark nights, cold and rain I'd rather not

also you not likey to find free weights weight machines or rowing machines in the street(spose you could buy a boat but the waters cold lol )

---------- Post added at 08:59 ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 ----------

This is how these places thrive. People know they should take more excercise. They want to keep fit,stave off advancing years and generally look after themselves. Unfortunately excercise involves a certain level of will power and some suffering too!

What is our soultion? Throw some money at it. Unfortunately it isnt a cure. All it means is that when you do feel the pain of excercise,you will be several pounds lighter in the pocket rather than in the body.

Most people who join gyms sign up with good intent,go for a few weeks ,then realise it aint so easy. They then don't bother going but unfortunately,they are still tethered to an expensive contract.

everybody has it in themselves to push themselves they just have to find it inside. What I see nowadays in gyms are people playing. They come in walk for 5 minutes on the treadmill sit on a bike and appear to put next to no effort in do a couple of really light weights and leave without breaking a sweat saying "why aint I lost weight yet". If my muscle tops top soaked with sweat when I leave the gym I aint had a good work out
Of course gyms do not mind as they pay there fees.
Effort and Disapline are the key words and make sure you sweat then the user will get results and release endorphines and enjoy the workout. You are right it isnt easy but nothing in life worth having comes easy does it

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2007, 10:35
everybody has it in themselves to push themselves they just have to find it inside. What I see nowadays in gyms are people playing. They come in walk for 5 minutes on the treadmill sit on a bike and appear to put next to no effort in do a couple of really light weights and leave without breaking a sweat saying "why aint I lost weight yet". If my muscle tops top soaked with sweat when I leave the gym I aint had a good work out

Ive seen a few people recently who are "working out" and reading a book at the same time!! why bother, but then i guess its better than nothing

Nidge
17-11-2007, 17:38
Ive seen a few people recently who are "working out" and reading a book at the same time!! why bother, but then i guess its better than nothing

LOL it's not just in your gym where they do that then?? I see them in Fitness First on the treadmill reading the newspaper, if they want to read the paper read it at home for gods sake, same as them who come into the gym to watch the TV's on a Sunday afternoon, they go on the treadmill with their earphones in and watch Eastenders.

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-11-2007, 18:43
LOL it's not just in your gym where they do that then?? I see them in Fitness First on the treadmill reading the newspaper, if they want to read the paper read it at home for gods sake, same as them who come into the gym to watch the TV's on a Sunday afternoon, they go on the treadmill with their earphones in and watch Eastenders.

Watching the TV is a bit easier than reading, i mean, how the hell can you read if your under strain??

zing_deleted
17-11-2007, 19:32
Watching the TV is a bit easier than reading, i mean, how the hell can you read if your under strain??

dunno I manage when im sat on the throne;)