PDA

View Full Version : Any doctors in the house? Advice needed ASAP

superbiatch
05-11-2007, 20:39
I've had illness after illness of recent. Just got over a 2 week long virus (head, throat, chest - everything affected) and now i've developed sinusitis - pain in the head, all down the right hand side of my face into my jaw and teeth. I've bought some sudafed with paracetemol in and they just aren't helping at all - can i take ibuprofen??

I've asked NHS direct the same question, but there is at least a 2 hour wait for a nurse to ring me back, and i need to do something now before my head explodes :rolleyes:

Thanks very much for any advice, its appreciated :(

brundles
05-11-2007, 20:46
Not sure about the ibuprofen (my wife thinks so says it won't make a difference - and she's not a doctor!)

The best thing I can recommend as an immediate relief is a bowl if steaming water with a spoon of vick vapourrub type stuff in it. Make that up and cover your head and the bowl with a towel while taking it in.

In the end my wife had to have anti-biotics to clear this same thing up recently. One word of advice if you see the doctor for that - if they go to flick or poke you just above your eyes then move - FAST. It will bloody hurt - for quite a while.

homealone
05-11-2007, 20:57
I've had illness after illness of recent. Just got over a 2 week long virus (head, throat, chest - everything affected) and now i've developed sinusitis - pain in the head, all down the right hand side of my face into my jaw and teeth. I've bought some sudafed with paracetemol in and they just aren't helping at all - can i take ibuprofen??

I've asked NHS direct the same question, but there is at least a 2 hour wait for a nurse to ring me back, and i need to do something now before my head explodes :rolleyes:

Thanks very much for any advice, its appreciated :(

imo no, don't mix paracetamol & ibuprofen - not beyond what you would take of each separately, anyway...

Have you got one of those wheat bags you can warm up & put on your face?

- when I've suffered with similar symptoms I've found that any kind of heat can be soothing :)

superbiatch
05-11-2007, 21:00
Not sure about the ibuprofen (my wife thinks so says it won't make a difference - and she's not a doctor!)

The best thing I can recommend as an immediate relief is a bowl if steaming water with a spoon of vick vapourrub type stuff in it. Make that up and cover your head and the bowl with a towel while taking it in.

In the end my wife had to have anti-biotics to clear this same thing up recently. One word of advice if you see the doctor for that - if they go to flick or poke you just above your eyes then move - FAST. It will bloody hurt - for quite a while.

Thanks Brundles :)

imo no, don't mix paracetamol & ibuprofen - not beyond what you would take of each separately, anyway...

Have you got one of those wheat bags you can warm up & put on your face?

- when I've suffered with similar symptoms I've found that any kind of heat can be soothing :)

I'll give that a shot, i've got a wheat pack there - but i'm thinking maybe a course of anti-biotics cos i've had this since Thursday :erm:

homealone
05-11-2007, 21:10
I'll give that a shot, i've got a wheat pack there - but i'm thinking maybe a course of anti-biotics cos i've had this since Thursday :erm:

It does sound like an infection, but the 'proper' doc will advise whether antibiotics are necessary ;)

soup dragon
05-11-2007, 21:13
we have been told you can mix ibuprofen and paracetamol but leave a 2 hr gap, so take 2 para wait 2 hrs take 2 ibu wait 2 hrs take para again etc.

Wicked_and_Crazy
05-11-2007, 21:14

I recently had a virus and was told by a nurse at the walk in centre to take both paracetamol and ibuprofen at the same time every 4 hours or alternately at 2 hour intervals (apparently its the current fashion for to prescribe this treatment). It certainly gave me some relief

I was also told to inhale steam. Boil some water in a bowl and put your head under a towel over the bowl. If that doesnt work rub some vick on your chest, shout if you need any help ;)

Uncle Peter
05-11-2007, 21:16
Ugh I suffer from sinus problems from time to time and it's really horrible. There isn't a great deal other than sudafed and the usual painkiller suspects that you can get off the shelf. Sometimes menthol crystals provide a bit of relief but doesn't help the underlying problem of course if you've got an infection. Hopefully the doc will sort you out and you'll start feeling better soon.

superbiatch
05-11-2007, 21:17
Thanks for advice everyone, NHS direct phoned me back and told me it was ok to take them as well, just hope they get to the pain. The fireworks are really hurting my head :erm:

Wicked_and_Crazy
05-11-2007, 21:18
The fireworks are really hurting my head :erm:

Dont poke them up your nose then :D

alferret
05-11-2007, 21:29
Ibuprofen and paracetemol are ok, Ibuprofen and co-codamol even better, my partner takes 1x400mg ibuprofen and 2x 8\500 co-codamol for pain, works well. Me I cant take ibuprofen (old ulcer) but when needed I take 3x 8\500 co-codamol works 99% of the time (all these meds have be pescription from docs)

homealone
05-11-2007, 21:58
Ibuprofen and paracetemol are ok, Ibuprofen and co-codamol even better, my partner takes 1x400mg ibuprofen and 2x 8\500 co-codamol for pain, works well. Me I cant take ibuprofen (old ulcer) but when needed I take 3x 8\500 co-codamol works 99% of the time (all these meds have be pescription from docs)

be careful with the co-codamol, codeine is an opiate & is converted to morphine, in vivo - you may get constipated ;)

v0id
05-11-2007, 21:59
It depends whether or not you're allergic to ibuprofen I guess.

I'd say go for co-codamol, or co-proximal if you have any.
But I'd still think you should see you GP first thing tomorrow, or if the symptons persist head to A & E this evening

TheDaddy
05-11-2007, 22:03
Dont poke them up your nose then :D

Don't know, might be the perfect way to clear the sinuses :Yikes:

Alien
05-11-2007, 22:25
Ibuprofen and paracetemol are ok, Ibuprofen and co-codamol even better, my partner takes 1x400mg ibuprofen and 2x 8\500 co-codamol for pain, works well. Me I cant take ibuprofen (old ulcer) but when needed I take 3x 8\500 co-codamol works 99% of the time
Next time you run out of Co-codamol, ask the chemist for Paramol instead. They're stronger than the OTC doseage of Co-codamol you've been taking, & 2 of those should be at least as effective as 3x 8\500 Co-codamol, & better/safer for you as well, as you're not supposed to have more than 1000mg of Paracetamol at a time [too much Paracetamol can damage the liver].

(all these meds have be pescription from docs)
You can buy 400mg Ibuprofen and the 8\500 Co-codamol without a prescription; you only need a prescription for Co-codamol that has higher quantities of codeine in it, e.g. 15\500 or 30\500. Paramol are different in that they have dihydrocodeine instead of ordinary codeine.

As for the Paracetamol itself, it's never had any affect on pain at all with me. The only good it's ever done me is to help reduce a fever/temperature. I think the only reason it's put in Co-codamol, Paramol, & Co-dydramol [the stronger, prescription-only version of Paramol], aside from it's affect on fever/temperature, is as a deterrant to stop people getting high on the codeine/dihydrocodeine.

alferret
05-11-2007, 22:34
be careful with the co-codamol, codeine is an opiate & is converted to morphine, in vivo - you may get constipated ;)

Ahh yes I forgot to mention this little bit of information. When I had back trouble I was prescribed 2x30mg codine phosphate 3 times a day for 2 weeks and even syrip of figs wouldnt budge it, had to lay off them every 2-3 days just for a pony.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

Next time you run out of Co-codamol, ask the chemist for Paramol instead. They're stronger than the OTC doseage of Co-codamol you've been taking, & 2 of those should be at least as effective as 3x 8\500 Co-codamol, & better/safer for you as well, as you're not supposed to have more than 1000mg of Paracetamol at a time [too much Paracetamol can damage the liver].

You can buy 400mg Ibuprofen and the 8\500 Co-codamol without a prescription; you only need a prescription for Co-codamol that has higher quantities of codeine in it, e.g. 15\500 or 30\500. Paramol are different in that they have dihydrocodeine instead of ordinary codeine.

As for the Paracetamol itself, it's never had any affect on pain at all with me. The only good it's ever done me is to help reduce a fever/temperature. I think the only reason it's put in Co-codamol, Paramol, & Co-dydramol [the stronger, prescription-only version of Paramol], aside from it's affect on fever/temperature, is as a deterrant to stop people getting high on the codeine/dihydrocodeine.

yep I know that 8\500 + 400mg ibu can be got over the counter. These though in the amounts I mentioned have been prescribed by a doctor for my partners TMJ and are got on pescription FOC.

And yes I know the "buzz" that can be got from codine, actually its not very nice IMO. Beer is better.

Alien
05-11-2007, 22:45
Yes, but not very efficiently. IIRC, it's about 10%, so 16mg of codeine [2 OTC dose tablets of Co-codamol] is only equal to about 1.6mg of morphine.

Ahh yes I forgot to mention this little bit of information. When I had back trouble I was prescribed 2x30mg codine phosphate 3 times a day for 2 weeks and even syrip of figs wouldnt budge it, had to lay off them every 2-3 days just for a pony.
I find Lactulose [15ml twice a day, followed immediately by a pint of water] rather effective, & when that won't work on its own I find Bisocodyl tablets [also available OTC] usually do the trick.

And yes I know the "buzz" that can be got from codine, actually its not very nice IMO. Beer is better.
I wouldn't do it for recreational purposes, but when you have a serious toothache & don't need to be doing anything, dozing off to sleep without pain is infinitely preferable.

Ramrod
05-11-2007, 23:04
I'd go to the GP, first!

imo, antibiotics might help.....and the hot pack idea may be counter-productive as if the area is inflamed then putting more heat on it may cause more inflammation....

Maggy
05-11-2007, 23:24
I also find Karvol capsules on a hankie or the pillow case during the night when trying to sleep during an attack helps to ease the congestion.:erm:

Just don't get it in your eye though 'cos it really hurts...and won't help a sinus headache at all...:(

Tezcatlipoca
05-11-2007, 23:39
I'd go to the GP, first!

imo, antibiotics might help.....and the hot pack idea may be counter-productive as if the area is inflamed then putting more heat on it may cause more inflammation....

:tu:

I had sinusitis a while ago.

Absolute bloody agony. My head felt like it was going to explode, & was even worse if I moved it.

Went to the doc... was prescribed antibiotics & diclofenac ("Voltarol" I think).

Worked a charm. The antibiotics cleared it up very quickly, & the diclofenac was far, far more effective than paracetamol, ibuprofen, or co-codamol.

homealone
06-11-2007, 00:31
hopefully super has gone to bed ;)

ironically Mrs Gaz is poorly, just now, with a really bad throat infection, luckily I am off work this week & can take her to the doctor in the morning ;)

Alien
06-11-2007, 01:31
the diclofenac was far, far more effective than paracetamol, ibuprofen, or co-codamol.
I had to have Volterol when I had a kidney stone, but I try to avoid it whenever possible, as it can potentially FUBAR your kidneys, & there's not really any way to tell if you'll be 1 of the people affected or not until it happens. My mum was on it for some time for her arthritis in her knees, & it nearly destroyed her kidneys. Luckily they figured out what was happening just in time to treat her.

peanut
06-11-2007, 02:05
I'm on solpadols (30/500x2s) and tramadols (both can be very addictive if not careful), I spend most of my time floating around the room. But often weighted down by the same problem alferret mentioned. Anything less (over the counter) is a no go for me.

Nidge
06-11-2007, 10:11
Get a shot of whiskey add the juice of a fresh lemon, add boiling water, add 2paracetamol (the ones that desolve) add a teaspoon of sugar and drink it. I got told this by an owner of a nursing home who used to swear by it, she used to give it to her patients who were suffering from bouts of the dreaded cold or the flu.

superbiatch
06-11-2007, 11:13
UPDATE - Thanks for all advice - mucho appreciated :D

Been the docs and have been prescribed antibiotics and also told to use paracetemol, ibuprofen and sudafed - I'm rattling!!

But the pain has gone at last :)

@homealone - yes i was all tucked up in bed ;)

Alien
06-11-2007, 11:44
I spend most of my time floating around the room. But often weighted down by the same problem alferret mentioned.
With regard to the constipation, have you tried what I recommended for it before?

I don't know how long you've been on those painkillers for, but with some people who've been on them [opiate-derivatives I mean] for quite some time, they can find that all-of-a-sudden the side effect is the exact opposite of what it was to begin with [changing from can't go to can't stop going]. Hasn't happened to me, but I do know someone who has experienced that.