PDA

View Full Version : What Am I suppose to Do!.

PowerUser
02-11-2007, 19:39
Hi

I've been getting these readings and this type of service now between 6pm and 10Pm Every Evening for the last 2 months!.

This is what MySpeed PC Recorded on my 20Mbit
===========================================
SPEED TEST
===========================================
Download method = socket
Maximum pause during download = 638 ms
Downloaded 4,775,628 bytes in 8002 ms
- from 0 ms to 1600 ms, downloaded 615,829 bytes (3,079,145 bps)
- from 1600 ms to 3200 ms, downloaded 361,173 bytes (1,805,865 bps)
- from 3200 ms to 4801 ms, downloaded 523,384 bytes (2,615,285 bps)
- from 4801 ms to 6401 ms, downloaded 1,280,626 bytes (6,403,130 bps)
- from 6401 ms to 8002 ms, downloaded 1,994,612 bytes (9,966,830 bps)
Quality of service = 18%
Upload method = socket
Uploaded 606,936 bytes in 6656 ms (729,488 bps)

I called faults, and after 5 mins of going through checks I was told that everything is working normally, :mad: How the **** Can it be!...18% quality of service!.

Just what am I suppose to do!...

MovedGoalPosts
02-11-2007, 21:13
Firstly, speed tests are notoriously inaccurate. As internet speeds get faster, the small test files rarely get time to wind themselves up to speed. Additionally server and internet congestion (not just your local bandwidth can interfere). You are far better off judging it against one of the gameserver type things on an ntl or telewest internal network.

Having said that the upload appears reasonable. Local congestion can be a factor, but then that affects many of us at peak times, hence the traffic shaping policy :(

You need to be certain nothing on your PC is affecting service, firewalls, antivirus scanners, routers, and network settings amongst other stuff can all interfere.

PowerUser
02-11-2007, 22:01
Firstly, speed tests are notoriously inaccurate. As internet speeds get faster, the small test files rarely get time to wind themselves up to speed. Additionally server and internet congestion (not just your local bandwidth can interfere). You are far better off judging it against one of the gameserver type things on an ntl or telewest internal network.

Having said that the upload appears reasonable. Local congestion can be a factor, but then that affects many of us at peak times, hence the traffic shaping policy :(

You need to be certain nothing on your PC is affecting service, firewalls, antivirus scanners, routers, and network settings amongst other stuff can all interfere.

Hi
Thankyou for replying.;)

I can rule out anything on my PC affecting the service for absolute definite. As quality of service is normally 90% + during the mornings using the same tool.

It seems to me that over the last 6 months it's now impossible for me to get any decent service at all!. It's all over these boards as well!. it really is depressing to see that so much of the network is unable to cope during the times when most of the country actually require it to !.

Last night I did something similar to what your saying, I downloaded a 700mb file using Multiple connections. At first it seemed slow but built up gradually. But not for very long the stability dropped and found myself D/L at 45% of my connection bandwdith capacity!. :(

I'm gutted that even after "how many months have virgin owned this network ?" That no improvements seem to be showing!. Just stupid talk of 50mbit trial connections for a few Jericho type towns in kent!. :td:

People have resorted to striking deals with various telesales reps, so that they get some kind of value for money!. While others have even purchased a Business package to get the better contention ratio.!

Is this really the answer!. So I say, What am I suppose to do!.

A) Give in and pay more for a business package so that I get the service I should be getting on the residential package!.

B) Keep what I have and hopefully sometime in the future something drastic will happen to sort out the mess Virgin media are incapable of fixing!.

C) Call up customer services/retensions and argue until it makes me ill., until they give me a Discount rate on the poor service I'm getting now, Which lets face it. Would you accept an apple at a discount price which has maggots coming out of it!.

piggy
03-11-2007, 21:51
A) Give in and pay more for a business package so that I get the service I should be getting on the residential package!.

B) Keep what I have and hopefully sometime in the future something drastic will happen to sort out the mess Virgin media are incapable of fixing!.

C) Call up customer services/retensions and argue until it makes me ill., until they give me a Discount rate on the poor service I'm getting now, Which lets face it. Would you accept an apple at a discount price which has maggots coming out of it!.

this is about the size of it i think they should be included in the t&cs