PDA

View Full Version : Extending the cable itself

richs99
02-11-2007, 10:33
Hi there

I've had to recently re-route the cable that brings the broadband signal to my router (it's an old NTL world router).

As I couldn't find a way to unscrew the connector at the end of the cable, I had to cut if off. I've extended the cable using a standard 2 metre co-ax cable, and I bought a new connector from Homebase to attach to the end of the cable and screw into my router.

However...

The connector doesn't seem very good as it fell apart last night (!). I spoke to customer services and they said I'd have to get an engineer out but that seems like madness, all I need is a new connector!

Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere I can buy on of these connectors?

They also said on the phone that I shouldn't be using standard co-ax cable for the extenstion, anyone know the cable I should be using and where I can get hold of any?

Many thanks!

Rich

smeagoly1
02-11-2007, 12:03
Believe it or not "Argos" if it's the same cable i am thinking off, round screw on fitting. I mananged to buy a 10m Satalite cable extension with both fittings attached for a fiver.

Failing that with the bog standard ethernet ends, i got hold of a while ago 20m extention from "Maplins" Most major cities should have a store, they do have a web site you can order from www.maplin.co.uk
They do a decent line on Network cabling and fittings, but a tad more expensive, but worth a look.

richs99
02-11-2007, 12:14
Believe it or not "Argos" if it's the same cable i am thinking off, round screw on fitting. I mananged to buy a 10m Satalite cable extension with both fittings attached for a fiver.

Failing that with the bog standard ethernet ends, i got hold of a while ago 20m extention from "Maplins" Most major cities should have a store, they do have a web site you can order from www.maplin.co.uk (http://www.maplin.co.uk)
They do a decent line on Network cabling and fittings, but a tad more expensive, but worth a look.

Legend!

Here's the link for those that want one.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=satellite+extension

Course, I've chopped the end off mine now so I may have to re-do the whole lot!

Cheers

Rich

MovedGoalPosts
02-11-2007, 12:16
Strictly speaking the cable on the street side of your modem is not yours to mess about with. Get it wrong and you create interference or other problems to your own services and potentially you can degrade your neighbours.

You should always use the screw threaded connectors. Adaptors are available for male to female so it shouldn't have been necessary to remove the original connector. Ntl (Virgin Media) connectors are all crimped, rather than the DIY style rubbish you can get at Homebase, B&Q or wherever.

The co-axial cable used is also more robust than standard aerial leads. It will be shielded to reduce risks of electromagnetic interferences.

dave6x
02-11-2007, 15:59
Rob, Sorry to disagree, but the NTL installed co-ax cable to my modem does not use crimped-on F-type connectors, has screw on F-type connectors and is poorly done. My home made satellite downleads using FT100 and screw on F-types is a far better job!!!

richs99
02-11-2007, 16:04
Strictly speaking the cable on the street side of your modem is not yours to mess about with. Get it wrong and you create interference or other problems to your own services and potentially you can degrade your neighbours.

You should always use the screw threaded connectors. Adaptors are available for male to female so it shouldn't have been necessary to remove the original connector. Ntl (Virgin Media) connectors are all crimped, rather than the DIY style rubbish you can get at Homebase, B&Q or wherever.

The co-axial cable used is also more robust than standard aerial leads. It will be shielded to reduce risks of electromagnetic interferences.

Thanks Rob.

What would you suggest I do now I have removed the original connector?

Nidge
02-11-2007, 18:50
Hi there

I've had to recently re-route the cable that brings the broadband signal to my router (it's an old NTL world router).

As I couldn't find a way to unscrew the connector at the end of the cable, I had to cut if off. I've extended the cable using a standard 2 metre co-ax cable, and I bought a new connector from Homebase to attach to the end of the cable and screw into my router.

However...

The connector doesn't seem very good as it fell apart last night (!). I spoke to customer services and they said I'd have to get an engineer out but that seems like madness, all I need is a new connector!

Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere I can buy on of these connectors?

They also said on the phone that I shouldn't be using standard co-ax cable for the extenstion, anyone know the cable I should be using and where I can get hold of any?

Many thanks!

Rich

Go to your local TV shop and ask them for a few length of sat cable, ask them nicely and they'll drop you a connector on free of charge, I extended mine a few years ago and it cost me about £6, that was with the connections.