PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving from VM to Sky do i have to change phoneline?

Wilson
01-11-2007, 12:12
My contract runs out in January and I'm on VM for TV, BB and Phone, but i'm thinking of going over to Sky to save some cash. But I don't have a BT line in the house i've moved into, it was last used bout 7 yrs ago! I have contacted BT and they said I may have to pay £129 if the line was disconnected :shocked:

Does it have to be a BT line? I think £129 is disgusting amount, :mad: specially as I would be a new customer to use their services and I didn't take the decision to switch from BT. So could anyone confirm that you can have Sky TV, BB and Sky Talk with a VM landline?

Many thanks!

Stuart
01-11-2007, 12:13
Yes. You do. VM's phone lines do not support ADSL.

Wilson
01-11-2007, 12:15
Bugger! Thanks for the quick reply. ;)

southwell
01-11-2007, 13:15
If the line is all still there can't you just get it reconnected for free as it wouldn't need an engineer out? Thats what i did. Be warned though as some of the operators said £125 to the mrs but free to me ;)

tucker61
03-11-2007, 09:49
I had same issue, no BT Line, To change i was quoted £125.00 for the line then £129.00 for sky box and installation, Decided to stay with NTL in the end. Cheaper option.

Gareth
03-11-2007, 13:43
If the line is all still there can't you just get it reconnected for free as it wouldn't need an engineer out? Thats what i did. Be warned though as some of the operators said £125 to the mrs but free to me ;)Same here... didn't pay a penny to have my BT phone line reconnected as there was already a junction box present when I moved in, and BT could enable everything remotely.

Also, Sky didn't charge me a penny as I was a new customer and I agreed to have my Sky box hooked-up to the phone line.

mr_bo
03-11-2007, 15:39
My bt line was just switched on - no charge. But they charge £129 for an install or if they have to touch the inside wiring when reconnecting.

beeman
04-11-2007, 14:00
i ran sky connected via an NTL line for 2 years and had no problems, i know the sky contract i signed only said it needed to be connected to a WORKING telephone line not and ADSL compatable one, if this has changed what about people who dont live in an ADSL enabled area?

I went back to cable in january so i dont know how things have changed scince then though

progers
04-11-2007, 23:46
Why not go for a loyalty deal?

e.g. M Broadband, XL TV & XL Phone £34.95 per month

Beats paying BT and moving to Sky?

Wilson
05-11-2007, 10:22
Why not go for a loyalty deal?

e.g. M Broadband, XL TV & XL Phone £34.95 per month

Beats paying BT and moving to Sky?

Thanks for all your advice! I will be trying to negoitate a deal like that, but it's the Red button I want! And I don't think VM will be getting that any time soon. :(

mortakos
11-11-2007, 02:41
You can call SKY and ask for a subsidiary deal. What that is, is they credit your new account with 125 pounds which is the cost for the BT line. Only thing you have to do is take all 3 (TV,BB,Phone) from SKY. That is what i did and now waiting to get connected and FINALLY GET RID OF VM's JOKE OF A SERVICE...

Wilson
13-11-2007, 13:49
Wow! Is what you did? I thought Sky didn't do anything liek this. What about Sky+? Can a deal be done for that?! I know it's cheeky but you never know!

mortakos
13-11-2007, 16:52
Don't know. Didn't ask. I am not the bargaining kinda guy. Only thing that was bothering me was the ridiculous cost for the BT line installation and it was the only thing i did not fancy paying.