PDA

View Full Version : Modem downstairs, PC upstairs.

Guten
28-10-2007, 14:10
I have my modem downstairs and my pc upstairs. I am currently running on wireless but im a online gamer and this causes a lot of lag and therefore I need to get wired. what shall I do?

I can't move the modem or run a wire to my room, wont the cables get in the way?

MovedGoalPosts
28-10-2007, 14:18
If you cant move the modem (means wires), and you can't run an ethernet cable from the modem output (or router location) to the computer because that would be messy, move the computer nearer to the modem :shrug:

Changing the wireless channel in use may make a small difference if there is local interference.

alferret
28-10-2007, 14:50
I have my modem downstairs and my pc upstairs. I am currently running on wireless but im a online gamer and this causes a lot of lag and therefore I need to get wired. what shall I do?

I can't move the modem or run a wire to my room, wont the cables get in the way?

devolo dLAN HomePlug products use your existing household mains circuit as a communications
medium for data and media, allowing you to easily extend your Internet access and expand your
home network without drilling or making a mess. You can easily access your network from any
electrical power socket in your house and enjoy complete freedom and portability when choosing
the location of your home/ office computers, laptops or games consoles. Particularly well suited to
old buildings and houses, devolo dLAN adapters don’t suffer from typical wireless networking
obstacles like thick walls and multi-floors. It really is that easy… Just Plug In to your network!

LINKAGE (http://www.dabs4work.com/Article.aspx?NavigationKey=4294966577+4294967288&ArticleID=779)

It works :tu:

Guten
28-10-2007, 18:30
If you cant move the modem (means wires), and you can't run an ethernet cable from the modem output (or router location) to the computer because that would be messy, move the computer nearer to the modem :shrug:

Changing the wireless channel in use may make a small difference if there is local interference.

Hello, thankyou for your reply. I cannot move the computer near to the modem :(. Modem is in the living room. My wireless channel is set on 11. Improves my ping but does not remove lag.

LINKAGE (http://www.dabs4work.com/Article.aspx?NavigationKey=4294966577+4294967288&ArticleID=779)

It works :tu:

Hello, thankyou for your reply. I was reading the information on the link you provided me but im confused on how this would be setup? could you please explain it?

EDIT:

I also noticed that the adapter of this is not the UK adapter. I am in UK

Wod
28-10-2007, 18:40
If ya worried about cables, then i guess the only option is to optimise your current router. Or just buy a new one with the wireless n? I have a overclock wrt54gs linksys and that runs fine playing delta force and many other games. The computer is about 12m away and through a fair amount of walls! On channel 3 too

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Or you could pay VM to come rewire the actual coax from the outside of the house straight into the room you are in? Dunno how much that would cost ya though

alferret
28-10-2007, 19:00
SNIP!
Hello, thankyou for your reply. I was reading the information on the link you provided me but im confused on how this would be setup? could you please explain it?

EDIT:

I also noticed that the adapter of this is not the UK adapter. I am in UK

I have seen it working although I havnt had personal use of one but the theory behind it is very sound.
Your modem is plugged into an adaptor which is then pugged into a household socket this then transmits the signal around the house to all sockets. You then plug in a receiver into the socket of your choice (one near your PC) and the cable from that to your PC.

Here is a link from a UK supplier of Devolo homeplugs.
LINKAGE (http://www.digitalera.co.uk/catalog/Homeplugs-31-1.html?kw=devolo%20uk&fl=79200&gclid=COfe08uUso8CFQRBMAodxA8UKw)

Download Failed (1)

Guten
28-10-2007, 20:55
If ya worried about cables, then i guess the only option is to optimise your current router. Or just buy a new one with the wireless n? I have a overclock wrt54gs linksys and that runs fine playing delta force and many other games. The computer is about 12m away and through a fair amount of walls! On channel 3 too

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Or you could pay VM to come rewire the actual coax from the outside of the house straight into the room you are in? Dunno how much that would cost ya though

Hello, thankyou for your reply. The reason why I dont want to run a cable to my room is because I suck at it and could get very messy :) I can play online games perfectly, I mostly play Counter-Strike: source and can play it perfectly apart from the super high ping during the day (Which ive created another thread about) which has nothing to do with my wireless.

I am on wireless and therefore this means my player model lags, which results in alot of angry gamers and also I might not be allowed to play in matches becuase of the lag.

I am considering to get VM to change the location of the box.

I have seen it working although I havnt had personal use of one but the theory behind it is very sound.
Your modem is plugged into an adaptor which is then pugged into a household socket this then transmits the signal around the house to all sockets. You then plug in a receiver into the socket of your choice (one near your PC) and the cable from that to your PC.

Here is a link from a UK supplier of Devolo homeplugs.
LINKAGE (http://www.digitalera.co.uk/catalog/Homeplugs-31-1.html?kw=devolo%20uk&fl=79200&gclid=COfe08uUso8CFQRBMAodxA8UKw)

http://download.devolo.biz/webcms/0015444001158137412/awb_2_uk.jpg

Hello, thankyou for your reply. I understand how this works and will do more research on this. I think this was something I was looking for but didn't know it.

grubbymitts
28-10-2007, 21:50
Hello, thankyou for your reply. The reason why I dont want to run a cable to my room is because I suck at it and could get very messy

And I thought I was paranoid about my DIY skills ;)

Really, cabling isn't hard. Buy yourself a 10 or 15 metre ethernet R45 cable with the ends already on. Next pop down to B&Q and buy some 7mm cable ties (the ones with the nails in that loop around the cable). Run the cable from the modem along your skirting board tapping the cable ties every 15cm or so, run it up the stairs and into your bedroom. Done.

pk1209
28-10-2007, 22:21
I use the 85mbps home plug and it's great. Never had any problems with the speed, it's plugged into a normal multi socket along with all the TV stuff, and the wiring in this house is still pretty old.

I also have a wireless router for my laptops, but because i wanted wired for my main PC, the home plug was a great option!