PDA

View Full Version : choosing wine

dragon
27-10-2007, 13:24
I very seldom drink wine myself but I do sometimes take a bottle when I go to dinner at my parents.

Thing is If I'm honest I never have a clue when it comes to choosing which wine to buy, all i know is my Mum tends to prefer white wines and my dad prefers red.

Other than that I go into the supermarket get to the wine section and then look at the many bottles of different wines.

I tend to read the descriptions on the shelf edge to see what the recommended dish they go with is but otherwise I'm completely clueless they all look pretty much the same to me. :confused:

homealone
27-10-2007, 13:53
I tend to choose a grape variety I like, then get a wine using that grape from a 'New World' vineyard e.g California, Australia or South Africa.

For reds I go for Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon

For White, usually Chardonnay & again the 'New World' produced wine tends to be 'fruitier' than say French, which can be a little acidic.

Much generalisation involved in those conclusions, and it is ultimately down to personal taste - for example I don't like the bland 'Hock' type German wines, but other people tend to prefer them to 'crisper' ones like Chablis.

- best principle is that by the time you are halfway down the second bottle, then who cares :D

danielf
27-10-2007, 14:02
All down to personal preference.

We don't like Aussie reds much (well not the ones you get here), as a lot of them are glorified grape juice. Rioja (in particular crianza and above) are a firm favourite in the F residence. French wines are overrated and relatively poor value for money imo.

Australian whites are a different kettle of fish. We drink quite a lot of Aussie white.

dragon
27-10-2007, 14:08
- best principle is that by the time you are halfway down the second bottle, then who cares :D

Yeah that one works with beer to, in my case its usually by the 3rd pint.

peanut
27-10-2007, 14:09
I tend to get the most expensive bottle with the most amount of money off normally. But don't go by price in general, I've got a few £30-£40 bottles but some in that price range ain't any better than a £10 bottle of red, unless you know your stuff and picky.

I prefer a Shiraz or a Rioja with a meaty meal (best so far is a Yering Station shiraz voignier reserve (2005 - Yarra valley)) if you want to impress. :)

Each to their own though, always best to try different varieties and that's half the fun.

MovedGoalPosts
27-10-2007, 14:23
I'm not a wine buff, and have no real idea what is good and what isn't. I set myself a price limit per bottle, £4.00 is quite reasonable, and find the bottle with the biggest money off offer I can get for that money.

Same principle applies if I do a booze cruise - after all then you can't even understand the french writing on the label :dunce: However limit then tends to be a few euros

dragon
27-10-2007, 16:19
At the moment I've been tending to buy the stuff that's around £5

greencreeper
27-10-2007, 18:44
I'd say spend no less than a £5, and look for small bottles you can try, before going for a big bottle. Reds give me headache, so I stick to white wine.

peanut
27-10-2007, 18:48
If you're giving a bottle as a gift then a bottle under £5 might not do you any favours. Saying that, the amount of offers on wine these days you can get a nice one for around that price if you go to a supermarket.

dragon
27-10-2007, 19:34
If you're giving a bottle as a gift then a bottle under £5 might not do you any favours. Saying that, the amount of offers on wine these days you can get a nice one for around that price if you go to a supermarket.

Funny thing is my Mum seems to like cheap whites more :Yikes:

peanut
27-10-2007, 19:36
Bonus !! :tu: :)

papa smurf
27-10-2007, 19:43
it all tastes like vinegar to me ; i never get goooz berries , citrus undertones, new mown hay, crisp on the pallet, etc etc just tastes like sarsons malt to me

peanut
27-10-2007, 19:44
it all tastes like vinegar to me ; i never get goooz berries , citrus undertones, new mown hay, crisp on the pallet, etc etc just tastes like sarsons malt to me

Best stick to the Stella then. :D

papa smurf
27-10-2007, 19:46
Best stick to the Stella then. :D

chuck a bag o pig shavings in and im in heaven;)

iglu
27-10-2007, 19:59
* join quidco, but use your non-favourite browser ---3% off
* get a 20quid off e-voucher from moneysavingexpert.com (tesco section)
* get a free delivery e-voucher from moneysavingexpert.com
* give yourself 1000 clubpoints e-voucher (I could not get bothered with that)
* order 30 bottles of Howcroft Cabernet Merlot from tesco.com @50% off

Total ~95 quid

Fully bodied, despite being Aussie, dry but not acidic, smooth @ ~3 quid a bottle

Original price 8 quid per bottle. I was the idiot that paid that price before I discovered the moneysavingexpert.com ****.

Then pass out :)

dragon
27-10-2007, 20:01
* join quidco, but use your non-favourite browser ---3% off

why a different browser :erm:

iglu
27-10-2007, 20:06
why a different browser :erm:

quidco gets the cookies and gives you the money back into your account. It gets confused with too many cookies. It is easier to use IE for purchases and FF for everything else. See quidco for details...

dragon
27-10-2007, 20:11
quidco gets the cookies and gives you the money back into your account. It gets confused with too many cookies. It is easier to use IE for purchases and FF for everything else. See quidco for details...

Ahh ok... i just always used firefox with it and as yet have had a problem.

Uncle Peter
28-10-2007, 02:50
You don't have to go further than your local supermarket to pick up an excellent wine.

My picks for reds (don't drink much white here) would be:

Wolf Blass yellow label shiraz or cabernet sauvignon - you know what you're getting, always a safe bet. Frequently on offer at Asda and Tesco

Rioja: Faustino VII (Crianza) Faustino V (Tinto) - excellent with your lamb and beef dishes

If you're in Asda definitely check out "Los Robles" Carmenere (it's an easy drinking Chilean varietal) - you won't get a better bottle of red for £4

Pinotage is another excellent choice - Beyers Truter from Tesco is always a safe bet or for the special occasion you can't go wrong with a bottle of Kanonkop which is a bit steep though, at around 17 squids

iglu
28-10-2007, 05:29
Wolf Blass yellow label cabernet sauvignon - you know what you're getting, always a safe bet. Frequently on offer at Asda and Tesco

Very true for 2003, 2004 but 2005 was rubbish, I have not touched since. But I will try it again when I come back.

bjorkiii
28-10-2007, 07:48
I always start off with a big bottle of lambrusco then move on to diamond white if i'm having a fish meal if its meat i'll stick to newcastle brown ale.

DocDutch
28-10-2007, 08:10
this is at the moment 1 of my fav red wines :)
Casillero Del Diablo Carmenere (http://www.sainsburys.com/groceries/shopping/details/product_detail.jsp?bmUID=1193558606660&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_0_id=0&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_1_id=1&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_2_id=2534374310886111&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_3_id=2534374310893935&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_4_id=2534374310893937&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_5_id=2534374318510601&NEW_NAVIGATOR%3C%3Elevel_6_id=1689949376125409)

that is a lovely wine, can be a bit heavy...also what I tend to do is look at the half price offers in Sains or Tesco... quite often you get a really good bottle for about 3.99 or 4.99

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-10-2007, 09:04
As Homealone said, i also choose a grape type, at the moment i highly rate Malbec (Generally from South america) as they are the same grape as used in French Cahors.

After choosing the grape type im after i then select the price band for that grape type and of i go for something in that range.

However i generally dont buy from the supermarket, all these 30% off offers are a con, you can generally find it at the lower price all the time. I prefer to have a stock in the house that i select from and then replenish as a when needed a case or two t a time.

alferret
28-10-2007, 10:00
My rule of thumb when selecting wines.
When choosing your wine dont worry about whether its got a rubber cork, screw cap or traditional cork, the new fangled methods of closing the important end of the bottle do their job very well, stopping oxidization.

"Dimple size" have you ever noticed the bottom of the bottle has a dimple? well most wineries put their better wines in bottles with a deep dimple and their cheaper table wine, bottom end of the market the wine will be in a bottle with a virtually flat bottom. Next time your in the market for some wine and your shopping around have a feel of a bottom and feel the dimple (Oooo Errrr ;) )

A knowledgable person told me this, someone who knows their stuff when it comes to wine.

I very seldom buy "new world" wines apart from Wolf Blass Red Label Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon with meaty meals & Paul Masson red for easy drinking.

My wines of taste are

Spain,
Campo Viejo Rioja Crianza
Campo Viejo Reserva Rioja
Castillo San Lorenzo Gran Reserva Rioja
Vina Albali Barrel Aged Tempranillo Cabernet

France
J P Chenet Merlot
Chateau Clos Renon Bordeaux

Italy
Tesco Sicilian Red (very cheap and very drinkable dont be put off by the price)
1489 Toscana IGT

I buy 90% of my wine from either tesco or asda and the other 10% from the offie.

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

I too used to look upon all wines as varying degree's of malt vinegar, but as I have matured so has my pallet, I dont always get the nose of the wine but I always get the taste :)

papa smurf
28-10-2007, 10:26
My rule of thumb when selecting wines.
When choosing your wine dont worry about whether its got a rubber cork, screw cap or traditional cork, the new fangled methods of closing the important end of the bottle do their job very well, stopping oxidization.

"Dimple size" have you ever noticed the bottom of the bottle has a dimple? well most wineries put their better wines in bottles with a deep dimple and their cheaper table wine, bottom end of the market the wine will be in a bottle with a virtually flat bottom. Next time your in the market for some wine and your shopping around have a feel of a bottom and feel the dimple (Oooo Errrr ;) )

A knowledgable person told me this, someone who knows their stuff when it comes to wine.

I very seldom buy "new world" wines apart from Wolf Blass Red Label Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon with meaty meals & Paul Masson red for easy drinking.

My wines of taste are

Spain,
Campo Viejo Rioja Crianza
Campo Viejo Reserva Rioja
Castillo San Lorenzo Gran Reserva Rioja
Vina Albali Barrel Aged Tempranillo Cabernet

France
J P Chenet Merlot
Chateau Clos Renon Bordeaux

Italy
Tesco Sicilian Red (very cheap and very drinkable dont be put off by the price)
1489 Toscana IGT

I buy 90% of my wine from either tesco or asda and the other 10% from the offie.

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

I too used to look upon all wines as varying degree's of malt vinegar, but as I have matured so has my pallet, I dont always get the nose of the wine but I always get the taste :)

ah so as one matures and educates ones pallet ,vinegar tastes good, so can ones pallet be educated to believe sarsons malt tastes good, and if so , has one been educated or meerly brainwashed by tv chefs and so called wine experts[ and has any one seen the kings new clothes]:D:D:D

Taf
28-10-2007, 11:29
Try anything the supermarket puts its own name on... they are hardly going to attach their name to rubbish...

Tesco have many wines carrying the Tesco label, so you can have fun finding the one you like... oddly enough my fave at the moment is Tesco South Australia Red... the cheapest one they do!!

danielf
28-10-2007, 11:33
ah so as one matures and educates ones pallet ,vinegar tastes good, so can ones pallet be educated to believe sarsons malt tastes good, and if so , has one been educated or meerly brainwashed by tv chefs and so called wine experts[ and has any one seen the kings new clothes]:D:D:D

Nah, It's just that the cheap wine tastes like malt vinegar, and the nicer ones are more like Balsamico. :)

Regarding the price of wines. We generally get ours from a wineclub (www.laithwates.co.uk; they also do a number of other wineclubs such as the times wineclub IIRC). Generally, they offer better value for money than most supermarkets. You have to buy by the case though (but they do do mixed cases).

Angua
28-10-2007, 13:17
As one likes Red & one white you could always be frightfully trendy and get a Rose. There is a rather full flavoured Rose Merlot which would probably suit both palettes.

marky
29-10-2007, 03:26
Pahhh, go to tesco and get a bottle of Banrock Station sparkling Shiraz,,, serve chilled and watch there faces :D

Fizzy red, its the future you know :D:D

jonbxx
29-10-2007, 08:47
We always go to Threshers as they seem to have a permanent 'Buy three and pay for two' deal. They let you mix and match and you get the cheaper one free.

I second the Campo Viejo Reserva Rioja choice but I also love Tyrells Pinot Noir. For whites, Penfolds Riesling is fab. If you want to try something different, see if you can find Curious Grape Bacchus - and english white which is fantastic. England has the same sort of climate as New Zealand on the whole so we should be able to produce some decent wine.

Halcyon
29-10-2007, 18:36
I'd reccomend a French Bordeaux.
It depends what you are having it with.

I love Jacob's Creek Australian Shiraz with a box of malteesers or Chocolate Brownies.
Lovely :)

greencreeper
29-10-2007, 22:44
Oddbins website has reviews. Everyone's taste differs, but a wine with a good star rating must have something going for it :erm: Mind you, the whiskey I bought my mum had a high star rating and I've never tasted anything as bad. She loves it though. Hmmm.

superbiatch
29-10-2007, 23:01
Oh a wine thread - suddenly i feel all warm inside :D

You'll find by the more you drink what you like best, but generally i don't drink anything thats under £4 a bottle, but have no upper limit ;)

An italian barolo is a favourite when at a resturant, but usually quite steeply priced.

Alternatively, i'll have a pinot grigio (white) or any rose - as you can see i'm easily pleased :D

homealone
29-10-2007, 23:46
Oh a wine thread - suddenly i feel all warm inside :D

You'll find by the more you drink what you like best, but generally i don't drink anything thats under £4 a bottle, but have no upper limit ;)

An italian barolo is a favourite when at a resturant, but usually quite steeply priced.

Alternatively, i'll have a pinot grigio (white) or any rose - as you can see i'm easily pleased :D

Is that an upper limit to what you will pay, or how much you will drink, super ? ;)

- I'm into £11.95 for 3 litres Tesco Chilean Cabernet Sauvingnon, atm - 13% vol ;)

peanut
29-10-2007, 23:51
Pahhh, go to tesco and get a bottle of Banrock Station sparkling Shiraz,,, serve chilled and watch there faces :D

Fizzy red, its the future you know :D:D

I'm intrigued, and now I've got to get a bottle the next time I go to Tescos. The reviews are in favour of it and a lot say it gets you pi eyed very quickly too. :D

greencreeper
30-10-2007, 04:31
Is that an upper limit to what you will pay, or how much you will drink, super ? ;)
You how when you're a bit tired and skimming through posts, and you miss read something... "Will you drink super" And I was thinking, "Tennants? :rofl: It's the change of the clocks.

I've settled on Jacob's Creek Riesling, though I'm going to have to select 3-4 bottles of wine for Christmas, avoiding reds, so will have to branch out a bit. Last year the parents got a wine selection - blended wines from unheard of valleys in far long countries. It's a wonder we survived :D

Uncle Peter
30-10-2007, 11:36

This any good to you then?

http://www.winestore.co.uk/shop/Chateau_Petrus.html

just click:

"add to cart"

;)

superbiatch
30-10-2007, 12:04

just click:

"add to cart"

;)

Thats the one for me (no i need to find me a rich bloke! :rolleyes:).

Incidentally each year on my birthday i am treated by a very nice friend to a cheap bottle of dom perignon (about £80 :shocked:)

progers
30-10-2007, 18:04
Go to ASDA and get:

ASDA Chilean Chardonnay:
Orange label with white mountains and blue sky across the middle

ASDA Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon:
Red label with white mountains and blue sky across the middle

Both were Sunday Times recommended drinks (Jane McQuitty I think) and are excellent drinking at a bargain price of £2.99! :dozey:

c1rcle
30-10-2007, 18:07
I'm no wine expert but anything that doesn't take the enamel off your teeth is ok ;)

alferret
30-10-2007, 21:44

Allegedly it’s if one matures so does ones pallet. But if one can distinguish between a vintage Sarsons malt and a young Asda malt then things could be looking up for one. Occasionally one is brainwashed by these “celebrity chef’s” and the likes. But at the moment James May is my hero. BBC2 8pm Tuesdays ;)

Uncle Peter
30-10-2007, 22:54
Go to ASDA and get:

ASDA Chilean Chardonnay:
Orange label with white mountains and blue sky across the middle

ASDA Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon:
Red label with white mountains and blue sky across the middle

Both were Sunday Times recommended drinks (Jane McQuitty I think) and are excellent drinking at a bargain price of £2.99! :dozey:

Anything from Chile is usually decent, with the exception of General Pinochet.

peanut
30-10-2007, 23:30
Anything from Chile is usually decent, with the exception of General Pinochet.

I'm just waiting for someone to ask if that's a red or a white.

Uncle Peter
30-10-2007, 23:41
I'm just waiting for someone to ask if that's a red or a white.

Not sure but last time I checked it was a bit past it's best ;)

MovedGoalPosts
31-10-2007, 00:08
I could tell you my preferred wine of the moment, but then next time it's on offer at Tesco I'd prefer it not to be sold out :drunk:

alferret
03-11-2007, 21:51
ASDA 3 for a Tenner :tu:

Now I know I mentioned before not being too enthralled by new world wines but I must mention this one.

NAMAQUA. Wine of the Olifants river (Elephant River) a cabernet sauvignon - shiraz

Just done a bottle with a curry. Very - Very - Very nice. Strong hints of Blackcurrant & Rasberry.

Hmmmm time for another bottle, the night is still young and I can still type :D

Wicked_and_Crazy
03-11-2007, 22:14

just click:

"add to cart"

;)

A very poor vintage though

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

Not sure but last time I checked it was a bit past it's best ;)

i dont know, it should be laid down and locked in a dark cellar :D

Maggy
03-11-2007, 23:05
A good way not to waste your money is to buy the small one glass taster bottles.Asda actually give you a voucher for £2 which you can put towards buying a larger bottle of the same wine when you next go in.I've just enjoyed a rather nice Italian red called Primitivo which I shall probably get a larger bottle of and put aside for Christmas.

Not that fond of white wine..it's so insipid and usually has a disgusting after taste.The only exception being if it's a sparkling wine.

Shaun
03-11-2007, 23:08
I like buyig a mixed case (or three) from Tesco Wine Club for that reason - if you don't like the wine they'll refund it for you. I think Virgin wines do as similar thing too :)

CycoSymz
03-11-2007, 23:11
Not that fond of white wine..it's so insipid and usually has a disgusting after taste.The only exception being if it's a sparkling wine.

Sounds to me that you only like the good stuff..Champagne :D

Maggy
03-11-2007, 23:36
Sounds to me that you only like the good stuff..Champagne :D

Well yes but a good sparkling white can be just as good as a champagne.:)

dragon
04-11-2007, 11:21
Bought a white zinfandel (i think it was) this week... Seems to go down well ;)