PDA

View Full Version : Damage from installation

mastic
26-10-2007, 18:10
The hole for the broadband started off on the wall in the other room but ended up coming through the skirting board (and the walls are level).

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? What can I expect from Virgin to sort this out?

Cheers
D

edit: i've moved house btw

lsproc
26-10-2007, 18:22
Wow, that is a piece of bad work.

Give CS a call, they might be able to relocate the wire, touch up the hole, and maybe do some goodwill gesture.

I would get something done though, that could be quite bad if water leaks.

mastic
26-10-2007, 18:25
I've called CS and they have filled in a form (wow) and someone will call me back in 24/48 hours.

I'm not very impressed!

lsproc
26-10-2007, 18:29
thats not bad actually.

hope it gets fixed for you :)

v0id
26-10-2007, 19:54
Didn't you inspect the work before the engineer left?
I'd have made them stay until I was satisfied with everything :/

mastic
26-10-2007, 19:59
I wasn't there it was the Mrs and she was busy chasing our 3 year old around - the damage is behind the PC.

I only noticed because I had to go back there to plug in the ethernet cable.

Edit:
There's not much they could have done to rectify it unless they cary plaster, wood filler, sand paper, white gloss and the associated tools around with them. It's just a shoddy piece of work.

lsproc
26-10-2007, 20:57
Really what they should have done is sent it above the board, then wired it along the top going around, and ensure the hole is sealed.

Dont worry, you will get it sorted out in the end :)

mastic
26-10-2007, 21:26
What appears to have happended is he's drilled down at an angle (btw this was from lounge to dining room).

homealone
26-10-2007, 23:15
What appears to have happended is he's drilled down at an angle (btw this was from lounge to dining room).

yes, I did exactly the same thing installing a network cable from my pc upstairs, to Mrs Gaz's pc in the adjacent bedroom - my excuse was my walls are not 'square' ;)

danielf
26-10-2007, 23:52
yes, I did exactly the same thing installing a network cable from my pc upstairs, to Mrs Gaz's pc in the adjacent bedroom - my excuse was my walls are not 'square' ;)

Allegedly, Mrs Gaz then replied: "neither is your head" :)

mastic
27-10-2007, 12:39
Right, I've just been outside to check the installation there and it is just as bad (if not worse)...I haven't checked before as it is not easily accessible as I am on the 2nd floor.

I'll post pics shortly

mastic
27-10-2007, 12:52
Picutres attached

lsproc
27-10-2007, 13:00
:O

Get somebody onto that now!

fatassmichael
27-10-2007, 13:01
That is shocking work, Call this number (0)1256 752000, ask for complaints, send them your pictures and let them know your not happy.
That number is from here http://investors.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=135485&p=irol-contact
(Thanks sprattgraham for the link)

mastic
27-10-2007, 13:10
I was told 30 mins ago someone would call me within 4 hours - I'll give them until that time and then I shall be making a noise on that number.

Cheers guys.

dragon
27-10-2007, 13:35
Blimey that's bad.
Hope they come back and do it properly this time.

karl359
27-10-2007, 15:16
i install juke boxes in pubs & i could not get away with work like that , when i had my broadband cable installed it came through the wall ok but then the cable was just trailed around the room behind furniture etc , as i have my own cable staplegun i said nothing as i would do it myself anyway its not as if they hav a hard job !! ive just had v+ fitted and the other box put upstairs the guy did a great job..

mastic
27-10-2007, 17:15
Fantastic. No call and I ring CS and I get "sorry complaints department is closed until Monday morning".

I think I am going to get a builder or other professional to fix this and then take them to small claims. I am too busy and too fed up to be chasing them for their mistakes.

lsproc
27-10-2007, 17:45
Do what somebody else did and write to Matrix Court :)

piggy
27-10-2007, 19:31
Fantastic. No call and I ring CS and I get "sorry complaints department is closed until Monday morning".

I think I am going to get a builder or other professional to fix this and then take them to small claims. I am too busy and too fed up to be chasing them for their mistakes.

bad install??....yes

take them to small claims court???? thats just daft give them a ring monday it will get sorted, and if your so busy how have you got time to go to court?

mastic
27-10-2007, 19:34
dad's a solicitor so he will do it.

Small claims yes: it will leak and damage the walls and the skirting board needs to be replaced.

Why do people always try to pick fault with everything on these forums? I have had an undeniably p*ss poor job done by Virgin - end of story - so why say stupid things?

piggy
27-10-2007, 19:39
there is nothing stupid in my reply, give them a ring monday that was my advice, as for going the small claims court seek your dads advise but you will have to give vm a chance to correct there "p**s poor" install

karl359
27-10-2007, 19:42
that looks a right mess ..

piggy
27-10-2007, 19:42
@mastic
and whats the neg-rep for?? your just being a drama queen!!

beeman
27-10-2007, 20:32
It IS a bad job and needs rectifying (the exterior install mainly), however i would strongly suggest delaying your plan of getting some1 else into fix it though as you WILL loose in the small claims (unless VM choose to settle) as you LEGALLY have to give the contractor "reasonable" time to put things right, and 1 missed call back wont count as reasonable.

mastic
27-10-2007, 20:37
I'm just wound up that's all. I don't deal with things like this well!!!

Cheers chaps.

lsproc
27-10-2007, 21:38
Dont sweat, im sure you will get it sorted out soon :)

mastic
27-10-2007, 21:44
Turns out they installed the wrong box too. I didn't ask for V+ but I have the box but not the V+ service.

Pedro1
28-10-2007, 07:56
i find this very very sad and disappointing. Bad installs and SH**t CS seems to be a regular thing going on at the moment with VM, more so with you guys down south.

I have been with VM (Telewest) for years now and not really had a problem.

BUT! More and more people in my housing estate are starting to complain about the shody work being done by engineers.

Personally i think CS and the whole company has went right down hill since Mr Richard B came on the scene.

lsproc
28-10-2007, 08:01
Really?

I personally think the work they are doing to sort out the cloners, and the NG based tech support is excellent.

Jon T
28-10-2007, 08:57
That's all well and good, but if the base level install isn't perfromed correctly in the first place, then there's very little point sorting out the cloners and the quality of tech support. IMHO, every aspect of the service needs to be improved.

lsproc
28-10-2007, 09:05
That is a very good point...

Meh, its the morning :D

Pedro1
28-10-2007, 19:01
The engineers doing the installs are the front face of the company.

The service needs to be improved.

Nedkelly
28-10-2007, 19:56
One problem the contractors have is they have a high turnover of staff .This needs to be looked at some of the pictures i have seen on here are shocking .Also when customers complain it takes them a long time to come out to look at these poor installs .They say it is improving but i dont think so:td:

sollp
28-10-2007, 20:19
Unfortunately grabbing people off the street then giving them a job, being taught by the guy that's been there for a few weeks who was taught in the same manner will then be teach the same time saving skills as his predecessor. Total lack of PROPER training in all aspects of the job, being given too many jobs for even the competent few to complete properly.

How many on this site could competently drill holes in walls,come on hands up, not many i see. Also how many could plan a route from swept tee in pavement,(thats the little plastic or metal cover in the pavement, or none at all) to the property, and site the cable at the correct depth, through wall or around house to where the Equipment is situated in the house. It's not a difficult task but alot of common sense is needed and basic skills of drilling, tacking cables neatly ect are required. Unfortunately some of the installers fail to manage simple tasks of opening/closing cabinet doors in the street without totally breaking hindges/locks in the process. Even jumpering telco wire in the cabs is a task to far for many to complete properly.

This area has been since cable tv emerged, an area that has been neglected by all involved. They are in the process of trying to rectify this problem at the moment but....

Pedro1
28-10-2007, 20:31
Who is happy in there job? Yip not a lot of us that's for sure lol.

A lot of these bad installs a caused by engineers that just don't like the job there are in.
They moan, groan and all sorts but some of them are good people and do good work.

As i said. The engineers are the front face of the company and if they are not happy then we are not happy as we get all the flack.

A ******d off engineer cares nout about CS and will in most cases give a bad install.

SAD BUT TRUE.

fireman328
28-10-2007, 20:52
In my opinion the installers do not warrant being called engineers as that is term I would reserve for competent persons who know their trade and are proud of their professional skills. The people who served up a dogs breakfast as bad as this deserve being called cowboys, and that is doing a great disservice to the likes of John Wayne and the heros of the old west. :(

dragon
28-10-2007, 21:38
Even jumpering telco wire in the cabs is a task to far for many to complete proper

While I don't know what VM's cabs are like inside That is actually more difficult that it seems running the jumper is the easy bit its making sure it gets to the right place that is sometimes a problem, its 1 cable pair in amongst 1000's

sollp
29-10-2007, 15:28
While I don't know what VM's cabs are like inside That is actually more difficult that it seems running the jumper is the easy bit its making sure it gets to the right place that is sometimes a problem, its 1 cable pair in amongst 1000's

Yes, that's because like i said it's a task too far for some, so concequently when someone tries to do it properly there not able because of the birds nest that is in there. Once, one person goes wrong the rest will follow. Believe me these cabinets have been sorted out and put as they should be, only for a couple of days later some one has done an install and put in a guitar string in that Jimi Hendrix would be proud of!!

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

In my opinion the installers do not warrant being called engineers as that is term I would reserve for competent persons who know their trade and are proud of their professional skills. The people who served up a dogs breakfast as bad as this deserve being called cowboys, and that is doing a great disservice to the likes of John Wayne and the heros of the old west. :(

I agree with that,

dragon
29-10-2007, 18:55
Yes, that's because like i said it's a task too far for some, so concequently when someone tries to do it properly there not able because of the birds nest that is in there. Once, one person goes wrong the rest will follow. Believe me these cabinets have been sorted out and put as they should be, only for a couple of days later some one has done an install and put in a guitar string in that Jimi Hendrix would be proud of!!

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

I agree with that,

I know what you are talking about with regards to the inside of cabnets, also it doesn't help that peoples dogs like to use them as a toilet :Yikes:

Thankfully I don't deal with cabinet's but i've been out there and seen inside several.