PDA

View Full Version : Dead phone?

bluecandylover
23-10-2007, 17:31
My Virgin Media services were meant to be fully on today..

However, My phone line is silent, not a thing, the phone line about 6months ago was fully working and has not been touched since.

Virgin says that they connected it before and did a test call from where ever sort it out, I dont know how it works, I just know I did a self install of broadband and TV (Which are working fine and Sso far I am EXTREAMLY pleased).

The wires leading to socket and phone seem to be in good condidtion.

Whats your views on what it could be?

Kind Regards
Blue.

lsproc
23-10-2007, 18:12
Either a service outage, or
Phone service terminated (dunno why, it happens :P), or
Broken box/phone.

Check service status, and if that doesnt help, give CS a call.

bluecandylover
23-10-2007, 18:46
Hi.

Yeah an enginerer is due to arrive on Halloween.

1) Service outage - No outage known.
2) Phone service terminated - Well they booked a enginerer so I doubt its thats.
3) Broken box - The box on wall is in good same condition as installed and HAS been working 6 months ago before we canceled (We just rejoined)
4) Telephone works on BT landline!

Also cables seem intact inside house :)

Could anything else be caursing this?

Kind Regards
Blue.

lsproc
23-10-2007, 19:02
Dunno then, see what the techie says, and dont forget to scare him :P

bluecandylover
23-10-2007, 19:16
I'll be wearing my devil suit :)

Kind Regards
Blue.

lsproc
23-10-2007, 19:21
hehe. Have fun, hope it gets working for you :)

dragon
25-10-2007, 16:48
Someone disconnected it in the network somewhere (e.g cabinet) by mistake perhaps :confused:

vmtec
26-10-2007, 16:49
My Virgin Media services were meant to be fully on today..

However, My phone line is silent, not a thing, the phone line about 6months ago was fully working and has not been touched since.

Virgin says that they connected it before and did a test call from where ever sort it out, I dont know how it works, I just know I did a self install of broadband and TV (Which are working fine and Sso far I am EXTREAMLY pleased).

The wires leading to socket and phone seem to be in good condidtion.

Whats your views on what it could be?

Kind Regards
Blue.

you might find the info the last time you were connected is not the same now!!
as the network has been upgraded since you were last on the service any old accounts will have been deleted!!!!!

wabbit
30-10-2007, 20:00
get someone from vm to check the switch on new account. If everything has been network assigned, data filled etc, then possible physical fault.

bluecandylover
02-11-2007, 11:34
Heyy everyone.

Virgin came and got phone working, however they have left me with an annoying and loud hum on the line (electrical).

Does anyone know what this could be? both ends can hear the hum.

I recorded the hum on mobile and will attach an audio file of it to this, I know I might need to ring TS but what do you think about it?

When the handset is put down (as in hang up position), the hum gets louder on the recipients end (example in MP3).

I have also tried multible phones, and directly to the phone socket.

Kind Regards.

EDIT: Attached file is an AMR converted to MP3 and zipped.

dodgem22
02-11-2007, 15:32
im always having trouble with my virgin landline 7 faults this year alone so i have had to go to bt for my landline now as a back up there service is more reliable however bt customer services are poor as if you call them you are on hold for ages i waited an hour just to ask for caller display. i still have my virgin phone line in because of the package im on and it stopped working again today

dragon
02-11-2007, 20:23
Heyy everyone.

Virgin came and got phone working, however they have left me with an annoying and loud hum on the line (electrical).

Does anyone know what this could be? both ends can hear the hum.

I recorded the hum on mobile and will attach an audio file of it to this, I know I might need to ring TS but what do you think about it?

When the handset is put down (as in hang up position), the hum gets louder on the recipients end (example in MP3).

I have also tried multible phones, and directly to the phone socket.

Kind Regards.

EDIT: Attached file is an AMR converted to MP3 and zipped.

probably an earth contact In the copper pair somewhere (I'm assuming of course that VM use a copper pair for their telephony side of things at least as far as the cab)

bluecandylover
02-11-2007, 21:41
probably an earth contact In the copper pair somewhere (I'm assuming of course that VM use a copper pair for their telephony side of things at least as far as the cab)

Thank you, will this be from outside my house? or a problem outside like in the man hole under the garden? (Where the techie goes to hook up peoples equitment to network).

Kind Regards.
Blue.

dragon
02-11-2007, 21:57
Thank you, will this be from outside my house? or a problem outside like in the man hole under the garden? (Where the techie goes to hook up peoples equitment to network).

Kind Regards.
Blue.

Could be anywhere in the cable (if it is even the cable) try another phone if you have one (just to prove its not the phone gone faulty) and then give VM faults a call.

bluecandylover
02-11-2007, 22:42
Could be anywhere in the cable (if it is even the cable) try another phone if you have one (just to prove its not the phone gone faulty) and then give VM faults a call.

We've tried 3 phones, I really cannot be bothered with CS/TS and the techies (ANOTHER day off), so will just use BT.

My mother also threatened to kill me (not literally but she would'nt be happy) if Virgin had to come round again!

Kind Regards.
Blue.

dragon
03-11-2007, 00:26
We've tried 3 phones, I really cannot be bothered with CS/TS and the techies (ANOTHER day off), so will just use BT.

My mother also threatened to kill me (not literally but she would'nt be happy) if Virgin had to come round again!

Kind Regards.
Blue.

They may not have to depends where the problem lies, if its in the network they may be able to do it without coming into your house...

If your paying them to supply a landline then get them to fix it.

bluecandylover
03-11-2007, 01:23
They may not have to depends where the problem lies, if its in the network they may be able to do it without coming into your house...

If your paying them to supply a landline then get them to fix it.

If I do ring them up, I'll be sure to ring them on the line that has the hum, so they'll hear, but wont they be indian? wont they always have a hum anyway?

Kind Regards.
Blue.

dragon
03-11-2007, 08:50
If I do ring them up, I'll be sure to ring them on the line that has the hum, so they'll hear, but wont they be indian? wont they always have a hum anyway?

Kind Regards.
Blue.

Shouldn't be a Hum no matter where you call.
Unless you get someone with a strong accent so all you can hear is a drone :p:

dancingjones
04-11-2007, 08:59

Kind Regards.
Blue.

Is this kind of racist remark acceptable?

dragon
04-11-2007, 11:36

I wasn't sure depends on your interpretation I guess... :erm:

I was thinking along the lines of the poor quality phone system some of these call centres seem to use, since I sometimes find the line to faint + coupled with the strong accent its almost impossible to work out what they are saying..

Most of the Indian call centres i've had to deal with are horrible, the staff rarely know anything beyond the script on their screen (i'm not sure if its they actually don't know about the product they are supporting or if they are not allowed to use their own initiative and deviate from the script) that and I usually have trouble understanding them its no wander people don't like dealing with offshore callcentres.

bluecandylover
04-11-2007, 13:18

Excuse me, I was intending with long distance telephone calls, I know they mever sound good to what ever contry your ringing too, but I do know that when I seem to ring Virgin I have difficulty hearing them, not because of the broad accent (however it depends who you speak too), but it always crackles, pops, or is generally faint I am NOT racist in ANY way.

Kind Regards.
Blue.

P.S. When Virgin came to install my line, they broke multible lines in our street, so a few of houses in our street can now hear the hum, and some can even hear other peoples phones calls.

dragon
04-11-2007, 13:53
Excuse me, I was intending with long distance telephone calls, I know they mever sound good to what ever contry your ringing too, but I do know that when I seem to ring Virgin I have difficulty hearing them, not because of the broad accent (however it depends who you speak too), but it always crackles, pops, or is generally faint I am NOT racist in ANY way.

Kind Regards.
Blue.

P.S. When Virgin came to install my line, they broke multible lines in our street, so a few of houses in our street can now hear the hum, and some can even hear other peoples phones calls.

Sounds like Crosstalk or crossed lines, someone needs to go check the cabling.