PDA

View Full Version : Southampton Street Cabs

PhilMitch34
23-10-2007, 12:37
Does anyone know why the green cable street cabs are having an extra green box attached to the side of them in southampton east???
It is mainly the double size street cabs.

PaulH225
24-10-2007, 08:29
Could be expansion or there's the possibly that they're upgrading the area to digital. I know some areas around there have some digital signals (from talking to the engineer that installed my V+). Although he said you can't actually activate a digital service there yet, a pre-hit box will work in some places.

PhilMitch34
24-10-2007, 12:28
Could be expansion or there's the possibly that they're upgrading the area to digital. I know some areas around there have some digital signals (from talking to the engineer that installed my V+). Although he said you can't actually activate a digital service there yet, a pre-hit box will work in some places.
I don't know of anybody in the Sholing/Woolston/Weston/Bitterne/Thornhill/Westend and Harefield areas who have Digital TV only Analogue. And this seems to be the places the street cabs have been marked up by some sort of serial number and some have had an extra cab attached to it.

PaulH225
24-10-2007, 12:51
I don't know of anybody in the Sholing/Woolston/Weston/Bitterne/Thornhill/Westend and Harefield areas who have Digital TV only Analogue. And this seems to be the places the street cabs have been marked up by some sort of serial number and some have had an extra cab attached to it.

The engineer that installed my V+ said that some streets Harefield side of Thornhill Park Rd/Bitterne Park Rd can get digital, but only with a "hot box", the systems won't let them send a hit to anything in that area. It's possible that they are upgrading to digital since they want to switch off the analogue signals by the end of next year. And last I heard Southampton was the next area to be converted (was on a thread on DS). You could always ask one of the engineers if you see one by one of the boxes :) I'm just relaying what I heard from the engineer I had, who happened to live over there and was complaining that he was stuck on dialup and couldn't download lost :erm:.

arixali
12-01-2008, 00:33
Despite what the VM website says about "you live in our analogue area... you can get various services" they've rejected me getting my analogue broadband hooked back up in Eastleigh, despite the fact they've analogue broadband connected 3 friends 5 minutes up the road in Swaythling. :( Bullies. After contacting VM several times one of their people said the digital roll-out for Southampton was due to start pre-Summer 08 although she doubted it'd include me :(

PhilMitch34
16-01-2008, 12:39
Despite what the VM website says about "you live in our analogue area... you can get various services" they've rejected me getting my analogue broadband hooked back up in Eastleigh, despite the fact they've analogue broadband connected 3 friends 5 minutes up the road in Swaythling. :( Bullies. After contacting VM several times one of their people said the digital roll-out for Southampton was due to start pre-Summer 08 although she doubted it'd include me :(
Yes I have heard "through the grape vine" that Southampton's digital roll out will begin in spring 08 and there is physical evidence this is happening with all the extra street cabs being put up all around southampton.