PDA

View Full Version : Automatic cars

caveman
23-10-2007, 12:22
Any of you guys drive automatics at the cheap end of the market.
I am looking for an autoamtic this time and was considering Clio, Mazda 3 or cars that size £13 - 15K. The problem is they are called things like "activematic" or "systematic" and things like that and also have semi-automatic modes.
Do these cars drive like an old fashioned automatic or are they a fad that that comes between auto and manual.
How do you find them?

MovedGoalPosts
23-10-2007, 12:33
I'm driving a Peugeot 307 which has one of these supposedly tiptronic auto gearboxes. It's OK, but if anything the car is a bit sluggish - on the other hand I had an Alfa Romeo 156 selespeed (the proper type of button on the steering wheel F1 driver style manual gearbox controlled hydraulically), and that really flew.

All of these gearboxes operate as an auto, but they are frequently more computer controlled rather than the older traditional mechanical autos. They drive in a similar way, but might perhaps with a smaller engine seem a bit more jerky. Theoretically you can select a gear by use of the semi mode, but unless that is a push button thing on the steering wheel it's probably unlikely you would do so. Even in the Alfa most of the time I drove in city (auto) mode, unless I was going for a overtake manouvre or having a mad spell ;)

I do beleive the auto sucks a fair bit of power from cars like the Peugeot. Not all of these systems are the same, the best are the Selespeed type, where it's a manual gearbox so you are actually in a gear that isn't wasting energy through the gearbox's drive systems.

Having said tha above, for driving in town the auto modes are so easy, especially when it's all stop start. The most annoying thing is that the Peugeot won't stay still idling. You have to take it out of gear, or keep your foot on the brake. The Alfa actually stayed still, in gear unless you pressed the throttle.

Chorlton
23-10-2007, 20:47
Got a 7 year old Fiat Brava 1600 auto and that really motors (Alpha twin OHC engine I'm told) but the new one doesn't seem to have auto as an option so far. The wife has got an older Micra auto with some kind of variable speed belt drive I think, but it goes okay and she likes it. Not that well up with the latest in autos though the father in law has a Corsa auto which is semi-automatic I think and seems okay, but I prefer a proper automatic.

Enuff
23-10-2007, 21:17
I have an 11 year old Corsa LS 1.4i auto It runs real well, only neg with auto's is they use more pecky. Maybe the more modern ones don't?

Chorlton
26-10-2007, 03:43
Not altogether sure they do use more petrol.
Figures quoted for manuals are probably based on changing gear at the optimum speed/revs etc, and nobody does that - autos do.

lostandconfused
26-10-2007, 07:53
i think the mpg depends how you drive it just like a manual, my old man's merc used to get 47mpg when he was driving it, it went down as low as 15 when i was driving. :confused:
Although the actual box itself would be heavier than a manual but i wouldnt have thought that would have made a hug difference.

I would decide on what type of driving you do, if its a lot of city driving i would sugest an auto as your probably going to be in a lot of traffic at low speeds.

But if your doing a lot of B road or motorway driving a manual is better to drive IMO

Chris
26-10-2007, 10:46
Not altogether sure they do use more petrol.
Figures quoted for manuals are probably based on changing gear at the optimum speed/revs etc, and nobody does that - autos do.

A fair amount of the loss of fuel economy in an auto comes from the fact that you tend to be heavier on the throttle when accellerating, or maintain speed when going uphill.

An auto may change gear at optimum revs in a laboratory, but the machinery is not capable of anticipating gear changes on the open road in the same way a human driver can. The gear changes are a reaction rather than anticipation. The second or two of delay before the gear change is a waste of fuel. Those seconds mount up and eventually make a measurable difference to the range of the vehicle on a tank of fuel when compared to the same car with a manual box.

In real life, an auto will always sap both power and economy. I would never recommend one in a small car, only in a large car and only if you do lots of long-distance driving in it.

Jules
26-10-2007, 13:03
I have a 10 year old Astra Auto and it is brilliant, if I need a bit more power I just use the kick down and it roars to life :tu:

Chris
26-10-2007, 13:19
Kick-down also drinks up the fuel, because you are poring petrol into the engine that can't be effectively converted into energy until the gearbox reacts. The lag may only be a second or two, but as I said, when you multiply those seconds across the 400 or so miles you go on a tank, it mounts up.

jellybaby
26-10-2007, 13:21
I have an 11 year old Mercedes, and it uses no extra fuel than my last car with a similar engine with a manual gearbox. But must admit the Merc seems to have alot more power :)

Jules
26-10-2007, 13:26
Kick-down also drinks up the fuel, because you are poring petrol into the engine that can't be effectively converted into energy until the gearbox reacts. The lag may only be a second or two, but as I said, when you multiply those seconds across the 400 or so miles you go on a tank, it mounts up.

Good point Chris, to be honest I don't use it often but it is always handy to have.