PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my modem has been cloned

bonzoe
22-10-2007, 18:29
Another victim?

Switched on today for first time and speed maxs out at 230kb/s, usually around 470kb/s. On 4M service.

Seem to remember that someone posted in a previous thread that VM were tackling this and quoted cloned modems in Grimsby....anyone remember this? Found it was TRxData. Did they stop cloned modems working???

dev
22-10-2007, 19:00
what is your current upload? a speed test with a decent upload amount will be fine, if its >200kbps / 20k/s then you haven't been hit with the STM

bonzoe
23-10-2007, 18:01
seems to be back to normal today..............so far.
Wish I knew where BillyXXX lived, I would report the evil little thing to the Police.

Enuff
23-10-2007, 18:12
Are you sure you mean "cloned"? It sounds to me like someone (BillyXXX) a few doors down has found your unsecure wireless signal and is using it to connect.

Uncle Peter
23-10-2007, 18:52
what is your current upload? a speed test with a decent upload amount will be fine, if its >200kbps / 20k/s then you haven't been hit with the STM

Exactly, you might not be STM'd. You may just be in a heavily subscribed area and the ubr/card you are connected to is being hit hard.

papa smurf
23-10-2007, 18:57
Another victim?

Switched on today for first time and speed maxs out at 230kb/s, usually around 470kb/s. On 4M service.

Seem to remember that someone posted in a previous thread that VM were tackling this and quoted cloned modems in Grimsby....anyone remember this? Found it was TRxData. Did they stop cloned modems working???

we have had problems with the UBR's in scunny to day due to some upgrade

bonzoe
23-10-2007, 19:22
Are you sure you mean "cloned"? It sounds to me like someone (BillyXXX) a few doors down has found your unsecure wireless signal and is using it to connect.

Valid point for those using wireless to bear in mind.
Couldn't be that in my case, I use hard wired LAN.

Exactly, you might not be STM'd. You may just be in a heavily subscribed area and the ubr/card you are connected to is being hit hard.

Could be, but I have no reason to believe that ubr is oversubscribed. Speeds have usually been rock solid here.

we have had problems with the UBR's in scunny to day due to some upgrade

That could well be the reason. I looked on the status page yesterday and no mention of problems here - a lot of others elsewhere.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help.

Magilla
23-10-2007, 21:30
Same here in Sheffield... last time it happened we were on 64kb/s for a month before it even appeared on the status page! :(

Sirius
24-10-2007, 16:53
*****NEWS FLASH*****

News on the Grape vine is that cloned modems are dropping like flys :LOL:. Looks like Virgin are finally doing something about the cloned modems :clap::clap::clap::clap:to Virgin.

One site that is used by the cloners had this from a user of a cloned modem

modems are dropping like flys
Games are afoot at Virgin, 3 of my 4 Ambit 250s are dead

Oh it so breaks my heart

:LOL:

r00t
24-10-2007, 16:56
;)

fatassmichael
24-10-2007, 16:56
Excellent news, thanks Sirius for making my day :tu:

MovedGoalPosts
24-10-2007, 16:58
*****NEWS FLASH*****

News on the Grape vine is that cloned modems are dropping like flys :LOL:. Looks like Virgin are finally doing something about the cloned modems :clap::clap::clap::clap:to Virgin.

Oh it so breaks my heart

Wohoo, I feel so sorry for them :cleader:

Sirius
24-10-2007, 17:01
Wohoo, I feel so sorry for them :cleader:

Now we need for them to hit the Settops :)

ECW_Original
24-10-2007, 17:04
Thank god for that!!

Finally, things are slightly looking up for VM!
Cant wait till VM do their magic around Peterborough, maybe then I will be able to get better speeds than a max of 3 MegaBits at any time!

Edit: DIE THIEVING CLONERS, DIE!!!

Sirius
24-10-2007, 17:14
Thank god for that!!

Finally, things are slightly looking up for VM!
Cant wait till VM do their magic around Peterborough, maybe then I will be able to get better speeds than a max of 3 MegaBits at any time!

Edit: DIE THIEVING CLONERS, DIE!!!

There kicking off big style on some of the forums. One guy is complaining that he has lost 6 modems bloody 6 the greedy ******* :mad:

Jules
24-10-2007, 17:36
I am so glad this is happening at last! I hear people can make a nice little earner selling and renting these cloned modems so I am not surprised they are kicking off lol.

bonzoe
24-10-2007, 18:23
Great news, confirms another thread I saw :)

I sent an e-mail to VM last night to complain about sale of modems on e-bay and cloned modems, but they won't even have read that yet.

Think that trxdata said a trial was in place in Grimsby the other week.

Well done VM :D

Will this mean the end of traffic management, I wonder? Or at least a relaxation?

Horace
24-10-2007, 18:27
It'll be interesting, if this attack works, to see if VM's bandwidth usage takes a big enough drop for them to finally realise how big a problem this is and how much money they're losing. Also, if they're only attacking cloned modems then they can obviously differentiate a clone from a genuine modem (now) which has good implications for future attacks should this be worked around, although that looks doubtful considering the damage the attacks have had on the cloned modems.

ECW_Original
24-10-2007, 18:44
There kicking off big style on some of the forums. One guy is complaining that he has lost 6 modems bloody 6 the greedy ******* :mad:

Ha!!

Serves the thievin so-and-so's right!

Although, having 6 modems on 1 line must have generated heaps of extra traffic, could VM not have just pulled up some sort of database and check which MAC's (or even UBR's) are having a huge amount of traffic over a long period of time and then they would surely know who was doing the thieft of service from them?

Oh well, VM are finally getting there, good job too, I am actually finding I can get upto 5Mb now, instead of the usual 1-2.5Mb connection I normally get, so things are definately looking up! :):):)

Fox
24-10-2007, 18:52
Great news, confirms another thread I saw :)

I sent an e-mail to VM last night to complain about sale of modems on e-bay and cloned modems, but they won't even have read that yet.

I think they do, but Ebay are ****, it's not in their interests to assist people with stolen goods, and they do the minimum they can to help companies like VM - or even individuals.

I know one case where a guy had some kit stolen from his car, and spotted it on ebay, but by the time the police got the address from the ebay of the thief, he had sold it all. I guess he then contacted the people he sold it too, saying they they better not get caught with it, or they'll loose their stuff, and their money (and he'll get sent down).

Ebay have no interest in helping VM, and even simple stuff like 'if it has 'virgin media' in the title, could you email me? isn't possible with the 'Fraud/theft' tools, but you can (how weird is that???!!??) obviously do this as a normal buyer tools :-(

Grrr.

I know that this really cranks up the 'investigations team'.

The best thing to do is sign up with ebay, and just put in bids for VM gear, but never pay up. (or better - when you win, forward the sellers details to VM) - sweet.

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Has anyone in Grimsby seem service improvements?

If some gits have SIX modems, presumably whacking away at 20mb, that's got to kick the **** out of that street's (town?) available bandwidth.

Would be nice to know if I'm going to better download times once they go national with this anti-fraud stuff....woooo whooooo!

Sirius
24-10-2007, 18:56
Ha!!

Serves the thievin so-and-so's right!

Although, having 6 modems on 1 line must have generated heaps of extra traffic,

How much is bragging. Remember those that are doing this are in it for the money and the bragging rights.

MrClone
25-10-2007, 15:17
no body has six modems online in one place
maybe :D

going back too the original poster

no m8 you many or may not have been cloned buy cloneing is not what is causeing you speed problem m8 ring up customer service and complain.

again for those that dont know and are reading bull**** and half truths everywhere

EVEN IF BUY SOME CHANCE YOU MODEM HAS BEEN CLOSED

THIS WILL NOT AFFECT YOU SPEED OF WHEN YOU ARE TRAFFIC SHAPED OR CAPED

it IS INPOSIBLE FOR THE CLONE TO AFECT YOU IN THAT WAY

I can not explain exactly and technical why because that would break the forum rules.

the only way clones can affect the net work is in the same way a subbed modems can if the network is oversubscribed

ntl/vm network has all ways been oversubscribed because there are too tightfisted to bye the true amount of the band with the isp really needs to run smoothly

remember the transparent catch bull **** before the explosion of clones

take this from someone who knows how cloneing works.

Graham M
25-10-2007, 15:19
En Anglais Silvousplait?

MrClone
25-10-2007, 15:19
It'll be interesting, if this attack works, to see if VM's bandwidth usage takes a big enough drop for them to finally realise how big a problem this is and how much money they're losing. Also, if they're only attacking cloned modems then they can obviously differentiate a clone from a genuine modem (now) which has good implications for future attacks should this be worked around, although that looks doubtful considering the damage the attacks have had on the cloned modems.

It dident work for long :D:D:D
they hardly done anything just afected one type of modem. and theres a fix for that
there not that bothered about or they would have spent the mney to stop it fully

bonzoe
25-10-2007, 19:11
going back too the original poster

no m8 you many or may not have been cloned buy cloneing is not what is causeing you speed problem m8 ring up customer service and complain.

Op here.

1. I'm not your "m8"

2. The network does not have infinite capacity. The cloners are taking capacity from legitimate users.

3. If you have anything worth stealing, would you like me to steal it from you? I doubt it.

That's my tuppence worth, over and out.

stepp
25-10-2007, 20:50
Op here.

1. I'm not your "m8"

2. The network does not have infinite capacity. The cloners are taking capacity from legitimate users.

3. If you have anything worth stealing, would you like me to steal it from you? I doubt it.

That's my tuppence worth, over and out.

Wow what an arrogant little ****. May i hope your speed problem continues, i for one have speed issues and am do not believe its due to afew cloned bloody modems....its due to Virgin slowing things down to make money.

If they put as much effort into supporting their customers as they have as blocking a few modems then we might get somewhere. They are an awfull company, the phone lines are useless and the engineers havent got a bloody clue.

Fox
26-10-2007, 00:03
So I guess you'll be taking your money somewhere else then? And we can never expect you to speak in this forum again.

Goodbye, idiot.

Toto
26-10-2007, 00:34
Wow what an arrogant little ****. May i hope your speed problem continues, i for one have speed issues and am do not believe its due to afew cloned bloody modems....its due to Virgin slowing things down to make money.

If they put as much effort into supporting their customers as they have as blocking a few modems then we might get somewhere. They are an awfull company, the phone lines are useless and the engineers havent got a bloody clue.

I thought he made very valid points.
And I'll add one............that joker can't type for ***t.

Not everything is about customer service. They guy or gal can be the best person in the world on the phone, but he/she can't exactly come to your house and fix the problem, there are engineers and the like to do that.

Those "few" modems could well be the reason why so many people are contacting VM over upload/download problems.

But, as the previous poster said, take your business elswhere if you aren't happy....and just see how slow ADSL is.

Stuart
26-10-2007, 00:40
To be fair, both ADSL and Cable have good and bad points.

hideki
26-10-2007, 00:44
*****NEWS FLASH*****

Oh it so breaks my heart

Well I take some comfort from the fact that due to my quickly alerting people to what was happening a lot of other modems are not dead.

Toto
26-10-2007, 00:54
To be fair, both ADSL and Cable have good and bad points.

Yes, ADSL can't be cloned :):):)

iglu
26-10-2007, 08:02
Well I take some comfort from the fact that due to my quickly alerting people to what was happening a lot of other modems are not dead.

I have seen some of your work. :nworthy:

NTL should hire you ;)

tucker61
26-10-2007, 08:04
Don't want to know the detail, but how does a modem get cloned ? What are the benefits ? Surely VM can run checks for clones ?

lsproc
26-10-2007, 08:16
1. We are not allowed to say that on this forum (nor do I know)
2. Supposedly the advantages are to have lots of connections that you dont pay for, obviously not goof for us and VM.
3. VM were trialling modem bricking, which appears to have been circumvented by the more experienced cloners. Though it did work for a while.

iglu
26-10-2007, 08:19
Don't want to know the detail, but how does a modem get cloned ?
Discussion of this is not allowed here. Google for the guide

What are the benefits ?

You can steal say 60Mbs for free, but the down side is that one can get a criminal record. Is it worth it for a tenner or two a month?

Surely VM can run checks for clones ?

Yes, but it will cost them money. NTL zapped quite a few cloned modems, it killed few legit ones on the way.

VM should lock their warehouses first, most of the cloned modems come from VM brand new!

dragon
26-10-2007, 15:04
Could VM not use something like PPoE to make users "login" before they get access to the internet?

Then bind the modems mac address to the account so only that mac address in combination with a correct user/pass would actually allow internet access...

Or maybe some kind of captive portal you need to login to just after you connect.

lsproc
26-10-2007, 15:40
One of the ideas of cable was not to have to do this.

What VM could do is require you to run Autoreg every time you power up the modem.

piggy
26-10-2007, 19:47
One of the ideas of cable was not to have to do this.

What VM could do is require you to run Autoreg every time you power up the modem.

the server would fall over!!

lsproc
26-10-2007, 19:51
Would it cause more traffic than a Slashdot?

You can protect those.

Ahh, that reminds me what happened a LONG time ago near the millenium, autoreg was absolutly broken.

HAXX888
27-10-2007, 13:16
hi guys, i have had lots of trouble with my modems, as the war on the clones hit a climax they seemed to have hit my subscribed modem. surly this is no way to treat a paying customer. now i can bearly get 1mb out off my modem, any help would be nice, have tried customer support but i keep going through to india, cant understand what they are telling me to do, its all very frustrating
:dunce:

dragon
27-10-2007, 13:26
hi guys, i have had lots of trouble with my modems, as the war on the clones hit a climax they seemed to have hit my subscribed modem. surly this is no way to treat a paying customer. now i can bearly get 1mb out off my modem, any help would be nice, have tried customer support but i keep going through to india, cant understand what they are telling me to do, its all very frustrating
:dunce:

Surely if you'd been hit by the anti cloning then you'd have been knocked offline completely.

HAXX888
27-10-2007, 13:28
maybe that was for the clones, but it has done something to my subbed modem. dunno what but it is crippled for speed now

danielf
27-10-2007, 13:33
maybe that was for the clones, but it has done something to my subbed modem. dunno what but it is crippled for speed now

How dare they! :rolleyes:

HAXX888
27-10-2007, 13:42
hi guys, sorry for being so forward, but could i be put on the TOP TAP??

danielf
27-10-2007, 14:15
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/9.jpg

dragon
27-10-2007, 14:21
http://communitiesonline.homestead.com/files/troll_2.jpg

Hmm. might have to save that for later use ;)

punky
27-10-2007, 15:03
Back on topic please.

iglu
27-10-2007, 15:30
Surely if you'd been hit by the anti cloning then you'd have been knocked offline completely.

Not really. VM has two lines of attack:

(i) brick the cloners and if they fail to brick it, then VM

(ii) caps the cloners to 1kbs, that's seriously slow --- unusable

VM is winning at the moment. VM has bypassed the new tricks that the cloners used. Kudos to VM, they show some serious competence for a change!

So many bricks.... and un-bricking does not work...

lsproc
27-10-2007, 15:47
Hurray!

:clap::clap::clap:

Toto
27-10-2007, 15:47
Not really. VM has two lines of attack:

(i) brick the cloners and if they fail to brick it, then VM

(ii) caps the cloners to 1kbs, that's seriously slow --- unusable

VM is winning at the moment. VM has bypassed the new tricks that the cloners used. Kudos to VM, they show some serious competence for a change!

So many bricks.... and un-bricking does not work...

Now, can I assume from one line in your post that you work for VM?

fatassmichael
27-10-2007, 15:51
Looks like VM are bricking SB4200 modems as well. :tu:

Toto
27-10-2007, 15:58

Sweet, that's a fairly popular pre-moded modem if memory serves, and not cheap either.

Sirius
27-10-2007, 16:16

Thats my day made 3 times in 1 week.

VM your anti clone system Rocks:tu:

TraxData
27-10-2007, 16:19
Thats my day made 3 times in 1 week.

VM your anti clone system Rocks:tu:

Only if they now remove STM.

Otherwise they are just freeing up bandwith to sign even more customers up and overloading the network :rolleyes:

HAXX888
27-10-2007, 16:38
sorry to be a pain but i think you are talking rubbish, i know that the clones are doing fine, i am in fact running 17mb on this one right now. its so nice to see people clap and cheer <insult tirade deleted>
i must say, you are a sorry bunch aint ya, lmfao.

;););)

TraxData
27-10-2007, 16:41
sorry to be a pain but i think you are talking rubbish, i know that the clones are doing fine, i am in fact running 17mb on this one right now. its so nice to see people clap and cheer <insult tirade deleted>
i must say, you are a sorry bunch aint ya, lmfao.

;););)

Yes, they have managed to stop all those 250/255s working and you know that.

Look at all you cloners crying because your back to using your 2mbit package..awwww.

And you know the surfboard modems are next week, so bye bye :)

ECW_Original
27-10-2007, 17:02

Look at all you cloners crying because your back to using your 2mbit package..awwww.

And you know the surfboard modems are next week, so bye bye :)

Are you sure that was a wise move there Trax?

During the war they had a saying: carless lips sinks ships... :angel:

iglu
27-10-2007, 17:14
Now, can I assume from one line in your post that you work for VM?

No, I do not work for VM. What makes you think that?

Sirius
27-10-2007, 17:17

And you know the ******** modems are next week, so bye bye :)

You are going to have to stop posting stuff like that

TraxData
27-10-2007, 17:23
You are going to have to stop posting stuff like that

Why? its hardly new news, its been all over those sites all week!

None of them can bypass the hits VM are putting out, thus why they are all crying.

But back to my original point, this is only good if it removes STM.

But i fear it'll be used just to sign more people up and overload the network, yet again.

Uncle Peter
27-10-2007, 17:55
Funnily enough my (and my neighbour's) services have been back to acceptable levels for the past couple of days so whatever VM have done seems to have worked for now at least.

It's safe to say that most of the miscreants around here who have bought dodgy modems off the local spiv are barely able to work out which wire goes where, nevermind understand how to unbrick the thing or whatever they do.

lsproc
27-10-2007, 17:57
Thats good to hear :D

iglu
27-10-2007, 18:01
Funnily enough my (and my neighbour's) services have been back to acceptable levels for the past couple of days so whatever VM have done seems to have worked for now at least.

It's safe to say that most of the miscreants around here who have bought dodgy modems off the local spiv are barely able to work out which wire goes where, nevermind understand how to unbrick the thing or whatever they do.

True. A dealer that had hundreds of Ambit 255 modems in stock was asking how to make them immune to VM's attacks. So far, there is uncertainty in the cloning business, NTL has shaken things up

Sirius
27-10-2007, 19:00
And it is still hitting them :LOL:

This from one of the cloning sites

Went out for an hour tonight and when I came back I was knocked out. Can't even access modem homepage (is that me bricked)?

For those who are interested (geographically) i'm in glasgow using SB4200i

Toto
27-10-2007, 19:27
No, I do not work for VM. What makes you think that?

Oh, a certain reference to speed kills ;)

lsproc
27-10-2007, 19:29
And it is still hitting them :LOL:

This from one of the cloning sites

Paw00t!

UT Announcer:
Virgin Media ended your cloning spree

:p:

(Sorry, its 7:30, my brain has long turned off now :P)

iglu
27-10-2007, 20:21
Now, VM is having fun with the cloners. The cloners try to telnet the cloned modems to change their settings and they get the following varied responses:

" not you again..i ant letting u in"

or "anymore and i am calling the cops"

or " i am going to report u to your isp"

So, did VM hired a hacker to sort their problem?

Sirius
27-10-2007, 20:22
Now, VM is having fun with the cloners. The cloners try to telnet the cloned modems to change their settings and they get the following varied responses:

" not you again..i ant letting u in"

or "anymore and i am calling the cops"

or " i am going to report u to your isp"

So, did VM hired a hacker to sort their problem?
;) Thats what i am hearing from a friend of mine in the know at VM

lsproc
27-10-2007, 20:31
Wow, whoevers in charge of this has got style!

Hugh
27-10-2007, 20:38
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/7.jpg (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://javey.net/images/hats/black.jpg&imgrefurl=http://note19.com/category/books/&h=300&w=300&sz=6&hl=en&start=27&sig2=a9lPMSmbFTN9rQQsWth3Dw&tbnid=PQAWR9VnC8L24M:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&ei=Y5MjR8uwMYSqxAG4xahD&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblack%2Bhat%26start%3D18%26ndsp%3D18% 26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2004-25,GGLD:en%26sa%3DN) vs https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/8.jpg (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hcdp.org/images/whitehat.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.houstondemocrats.com/archives/2005/04/&h=183&w=242&sz=5&hl=en&start=7&sig2=X0zIW1btR52Pax_oIEcEHw&tbnid=pBo88PJkUKE5LM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=110&ei=gpMjR5KzFo-wwAGew6lK&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwhite%2Bhat%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26 rls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2004-25,GGLD:en)

Sirius
27-10-2007, 21:04
Wow, whoevers in charge of this has got style!

Dam right they have. :tu: I do hope VM do the same to the Chipped settops next :)

r00t
27-10-2007, 21:09
Dam right they have. :tu: I do hope VM do the same to the Chipped settops next :)

:tu: ;)

lsproc
27-10-2007, 21:12
I would be amazed if they didn't :P

Stuart
27-10-2007, 21:20
This reminds me a bit of something my sister was told. She used to work for the DSS, and the someone from the DSS anti-fraud department was showing her department a (then) new Giro cheque, with radically enhanced fraud protection. He told them that the system had cost an awful lot to develop, but it would be cracked in 6 to 8 months.

My sister asked "Why bother then? If they are going to be able to break the protection?". The answer given was "It will be broken, but in the 6 to 8 months it takes to break, we will save millions of pounds."

I suspect Virgin know that there anti-cloning measures will be defeated, but in the time it takes the cloners to defeat it, they will save an awful lot of bandwidth.

lsproc
27-10-2007, 21:28
Well, since they seem to be on a roll with the people who got past the bricking, maybe they will be quicker to sort them out.

Or maybe they are ahead of the game, one hopes :)

Still, they deserve a big congrats for what they got so far! Well done!

jrhnewark
27-10-2007, 21:38
Well done to them on their good work. Hopefully it'll sort out some of the bandwidth issues here in SE London.

ECW_Original
27-10-2007, 21:39
One thing that I have noticed on CF recently, that quite a few of the members here are also members of the *other* site, and I am wandering how many double-agents there are here now...

danielf
27-10-2007, 22:41
One thing that I have noticed on CF recently, that quite a few of the members here are also members of the *other* site, and I am wandering how many double-agents there are here now...

They read our site, we read theirs. The only difference is that you can register here and post in relevant threads. They've got a lame-**** 'you have to have 20 posts in the baby forum' policy.

TraxData
27-10-2007, 22:46
They read our site, we read theirs. The only difference is that you can register here and post in relevant threads. They've got a lame-**** 'you have to have 20 posts in the baby forum' policy.

personally i think he meant alot of the big posters at that forum are big posters here as well...so a fair amount of members on here must be using cloned modems (ok, was)

dragon
27-10-2007, 23:27
personally i think he meant alot of the big posters at that forum are big posters here as well...so a fair amount of members on here must be using cloned modems (ok, was)

not necessarily...

ECW_Original
27-10-2007, 23:37
not necessarily...

No, but it IS a high possibility, could be like a child in a sweet shop so to speak...

And I know damn well that this thread is being monitored & posted over there too!

dragon
27-10-2007, 23:44
No, but it IS a high possibility, could be like a child in a sweet shop so to speak...

And I know damn well that this thread is being monitored & posted over there too!

Seems a wasted effort a link to here would suffice

ECW_Original
27-10-2007, 23:48
Seems a wasted effort a link to here would suffice

lol its fun watching different sides quoting the other's posts, who needs telly with this lmfao:D:D:D:D

Berealwith
28-10-2007, 00:33
I think its called Forum Tennis......:D

Toto
28-10-2007, 00:35
I'm wondering actually if Vm guys in charge of dealing with the cloning issue have a number of different fixes ready, applying each one when they feel a "fix" coming on. :)

I really hope this is helping those people who have suffered because of this, a bit of justice for their support and faith in VM.

Sirius
28-10-2007, 00:37
I really hope this is helping those people who have suffered because of this, a bit of justice for their support and faith in VM.

Funny you should say that. My connection has been fine this weekend, It normally turns to **** on a Friday till Sunday.

Toto
28-10-2007, 00:38
Funny you should say that. My connection has been fine this weekend, It normally turns to **** on a Friday till Sunday.

Amen to that brother!

Berealwith
28-10-2007, 00:43
is this a real problem on a big scale, only i have a question about this as i have just recieved from VM a new modem and the mac number on the box matches the modem sticker and the two loose ones. But when i go to the status of the modem it is a different one...........Should i be worried ?

Toto
28-10-2007, 00:51
is this a real problem on a big scale, only i have a question about this as i have just recieved from VM a new modem and the mac number on the box matches the modem sticker and the two loose ones. But when i go to the status of the modem it is a different one...........Should i be worried ?

The address on the sticker and the HFC address on the modem status page should be the same, if they are not, then I would be concerned yes.

Major problem, in terms of clones versus registered users no, its what they are doing with these clones in terms of the hammering they are giving the network that is a problem.

Berealwith
28-10-2007, 00:56
oh man..........bloody hell. i did wonder as i thought is was strange that the number was not the same, i only got it on wednesday from VM then by who ever does thier courrier. It would not work at first so i rang the number you get inside the box for it to be activated, Chatted for 5 mins with this VM bloke and while i was chatting it came on, i had a quick look around the status page and was going to put the sticker somewhere safe and it was different to status page.......what do i do now

lsproc
28-10-2007, 07:05
Call up Virgin, say your MAC address on your sticker and status page is wrong, and you should get a new one (you should be able to get it on Quick Start install).

Toto
28-10-2007, 08:02
Although, if the modem is on, at the correct speed, you may be looking at the wrong thing in the status page.

kibblerok
28-10-2007, 12:27

The first run of anti cloning measures will make this easier.

What VM has done is wipe out all the supplied dodgy modems purchased from the man down the pub or car boots/computer fairs. These are people that haven't a clue how it all works and are just getting free internet.

Those with modems back on soon after these measures are more likely to supply the modems, have dodgy STBs, DVDs films music etc and the ones that will provide a more fruitful return should they take a personal knock on the door approach with the old bill in tow.

Only a few know how dodgy modems really work, most just follow idiot guide instructions on a website not knowing how it works or why... which is why they were all caught out and didn't really realise how obvious their modems are to VM.

These modems are still obvious, its just a matter of what steps VM take next either remotely or in person, as it appears they are starting to act. I've never seen VM put this much effort in before.

Paul
28-10-2007, 13:03

It's about time some posters on both sites stopped acting like children.

We are not here to worry about what other sites post, we gave that game up many years ago when we made peace with other ntl hell sites - and I'm not about to let it start up again. Stick to the subject at hand and stop worring about other sites.

I'm pretty sure we all know, and VM know, that the measures they have taken are not going to stop the hard core cloners for very long, VM are not that stupid. They are simply going to knock out the vast majority of modems bought by non techies (from ebay/local pub whatever).

Impz2002
28-10-2007, 13:16
I have to agree with paul!

i will admit i am a member of said other site but i do not post and only joined as i wished to know the technicality of the way the cloners operate.

All i can say is that since VM's attack on the cloned modems my connection seems alot more responsive. i never really suffered low speeds although there were alot of cases where pages were timing out. i imagine the clones also put extra load on the DNS servers as web sites are resolved instantly now !

All i can say is well done VM !

they really have suprised me !

Impz

Berealwith
28-10-2007, 15:00
Rang VM today all sortted now.....quite surprised it only took 15 mins on the phone

jrhnewark
28-10-2007, 15:39
Rang VM today all sortted now.....quite surprised it only took 15 mins on the phoneYou mean they accepted the modem was cloned and they're sending you a new one?

Berealwith
28-10-2007, 15:53
no they asked me to turn it off and wait a bit turn on again then take the network cable out wait a min then turn it back on. then go to 192.168.100.1 and look at system page and check Cable Modem MAC Address it is the same as whats written on it and the lables too....that was it ......... i dont know what they did really

Keane
03-11-2007, 04:10
This may be a stupid question, but do cloners go after any mac address?

I had always believed that cloners would have went for 10mb/20mb/50mb (basically which ever max speed is currently available) but the guy in the first post says he's on 4mb. Are NTL/Virgin going after cloners with no accounts, or all cloners including their own customers (like some guy on 1mb but hacking his way up to 20)

eth01
03-11-2007, 10:53
These 'cloned' modem users will be loving this topic... Sad.