PDA

View Full Version : Southampton, You can't have cable?

arixali
18-10-2007, 23:57
I was with NTL for a good few years, left them (inadequate customer service), tried to return to VM a few weeks ago, Sales said I couldn't have cable because I only have analogue cable in my road and they only know they're doing the roads in Southampton (SO50 area) in and around the next 2 years bit by bit. Is this correct I can't even go back to analogue cable? and is there nothing else that can be done to encourage VM to come and do my road quicker?

any help muchly appriciated

Graham M
19-10-2007, 00:00
As far as I last heard they weren't extending the network at all... but maybe they've changed their minds now?

arixali
19-10-2007, 00:01
extending the digital network? they did imply they were replacing the analogue in the area

Graham M
19-10-2007, 00:09
yes this is possibly the case, I think that would just involve upgrading the hardware at the headend

arixali
19-10-2007, 00:13
aha.

Wherever you live, we're there

It looks like your home is in our analogue area. This means you can get some of our Virgin Media cable services including superfast broadband, over 35 TV channels and great value deals on your mobile or home phone. - VM Website.

Curious, the guy on the phone flat out said sorry we can't offer you a product at the moment, despite that they wouldn't need to do a re installation

PaulH225
19-10-2007, 08:05
Hmmm.. Are you in SO19 by any chance? Maybe it's related to the recent billing system upgrade? It might be worth phoning them back, you might get someone a little more helpful. Tell them what the website says, it's either the website lying or the agent lying :) I'm pretty sure you can only get TV and phone on analogue, my girlfriend's dad lives in SO19 and he's got analogue TV, used to have the phone but wanted broadband so had to go to a BT line.

Graham M
19-10-2007, 08:15
He said SO50 in his first post ;)

PaulH225
19-10-2007, 10:52
He said SO50 in his first post ;)

That'll teach me, trying to read/respond before my 3rd coffee of the morning :)

SO50 is Eastleigh and I'm not terribly familiar with what's available there. However, my last part still stands.. Call 'em back and ask again, worst they can do is say no again..

I would have thought that if VM want to switch off the analogue channels, they're going to have to convert the analogue only areas to digital eventually. Unless, of course, they just don't care about their analogue only areas and are just gonna turn around and say "tough doo doo, we don't want your custom anymore."

gobbledigook
19-10-2007, 13:46
hi!

in Eastleigh you can have the analogue service, i just believe that the sales peep's are discouraging you as it is not really a great service, and they peobably don't get any commision on it!!!

teh analogue service is less channels for a relatively higher price - obviously from when they wanted to "encourage" people on the benefits of going digital!!

It would be a service lacking any on-demand features, and "red-button" services and you now wouldn't be able to hav the movie channels as Sky made them PIN protected!!

if your in SO50, and you don't want sky, then i would suggest getting a Freeview box until the digital upgrade is completed.

a lot of the upgradin g issues are actually caused by the local council as VM needs their permission to do anything in the roads and then it goes to the local "committee"... all it takes is for one of them to say "nah! i don't fancy it this year!" and the whole thing is off!!!

VM are not blameless here at all though!! they (or at least their predecessor!) could have started the process long ago!

dan:)

what?
21-10-2007, 14:26
i didnt think analogue tv was an option anymore for new customers

thought they were trying to get rid of this to leave only digital tv.
might be worng but i thought unless u were an existing customer with analogue already in your house then there was no way to get it.

feel free to correct me if im wrong.