PDA

View Full Version : Cloning and/or Traffic management - Action!

brido bhoy
17-10-2007, 18:05
Hey all,

Following on on from my previous post...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33621757-possibly-been-cloned.html

Should we get together and contact watchdog to try and shame VM into some kind of action. Im fed up paying for XL service and always being reduced to 5mb. Unless I stay up all night or dont go to work.

Sirius
17-10-2007, 18:10
Hey all,

Should we get together and contact watchdog to try and shame VM into some kind of action. Im fed up paying for XL service and always being reduced to 5mb. Unless I stay up all night or dont go to work.

I can see the reply from virgin now.

First no one from virgin will turn up and a statement will be read out to all.

The following will be what they will say.

Virgin have looked at the customers mentioned in this program and have discovered that they have been victims of fraud.

It is a very small problem which Virgin are talking to the police about and Virgin will take any action needed to deal with this very small and isolated problem.

Remember Virgin will never admit that you have been cloned as far as a modem goes.

ZebUK
17-10-2007, 18:15
Sirius, I agree but isn't this also one of the traits of being British?

I mean, people seldom seem to complain much because "it's not the British thing to do" and also because we don't like to? My mum is very much like this in fact very few people I know would complain.

I took my mum out for a meal at a pub a few months back and her food wasn't up to standard. She would happily sit there and moan to me (not at me) but when I suggested she complain she said she didn't want to make a fuss! Needless to say I complained and it was sorted.

Sirius
17-10-2007, 18:18
Sirius, I agree but isn't this also one of the traits of being British?

I mean, people seldom seem to complain much because "it's not the British thing to do" and also because we don't like to? My mum is very much like this in fact very few people I know would complain.

I took my mum out for a meal at a pub a few months back and her food wasn't up to standard. She would happily sit there and moan to me (not at me) but when I suggested she complain she said she didn't want to make a fuss! Needless to say I complained and it was sorted.

I am not saying we should not complain, However VM are so predictable that we know what they will say now. :)

ZebUK
17-10-2007, 18:41
Okies - lot long woken up and my head a bit hazy. Ive swapped my sleep pattern around so I can get online at fast access times for Battlefield 2 and administering web sites. I feel like crap as a result of it!

xspeedyx
17-10-2007, 18:58
Complaining wont do anything disc is the only way a company relise this however a disc is not always a option stm doesnt really bother me I just use it when I am at work just to download and do online games in the evening

ZebUK
17-10-2007, 19:15
darthlinux, I have absolutely no idea what you're on about!

Toilet-Duck
17-10-2007, 19:40
Complaining wont do anything disc is the only way a company relise this however a disc is not always a option stm doesnt really bother me I just use it when I am at work just to download and do online games in the evening

That just doesn't make any sense :rolleyes:

Sirius
17-10-2007, 19:51
What he is saying is that we should all disconnect as that is the only way Virgin will bother to do anything about the clones. To be honest he has a bloody point. Virgin will NEVER admit that your modem could be cloned by some **** bag thief.

ZebUK
17-10-2007, 19:54
When I worked for Telewest there were a few installation guys selling chipped set-top boxes on the side for extra cash so it really wouldn't surprise me if a load of them were noting the modem details of those with super fast connections and posting them or selling them on.

Smok3y666
17-10-2007, 20:03
Sorry for posting the correct info and trying to be helpful.

ZebUK
17-10-2007, 20:08
You might want to edit that lot out before a cable staff member sees it!

sollp
17-10-2007, 20:08
Hey all,

Just to clarify what your complaining about:

1: Cloned modems.

2:Traffic management>

3:Price of service.

Cloned modems

Has your personal modem that you use been cloned, if so can you prove it is, and how have you the evidence to back this claim.

Traffic management

All tiers of service are subject to traffic management, so is your problem a result of this, can you again prove this that your useage is either below or above the traffic management policy. And what tool do you use to prove this.

Price of service

Well thats for you to decide.

The reason i asked these questions is because all i see on the forums are claim and counter claims with no more evidence than,"hearsay"or "thats what they are doing".

If your struggling to answer them on this forum your complaint to Watchdog will flounder worse than a floundering fish on a wet day in...Yarmouth!!

We all know cloning is happening, but to what extect.. who knows.

Sirius
17-10-2007, 20:09

Cloned modems

Has your personal modem that you use been cloned, if so can you prove it is, and how have you the evidence to back this claim.

Traffic management

All tiers of service are subject to traffic management, so is your problem a result of this, can you again prove this that your useage is either below or above the traffic management policy. And what tool do you use to prove this.

Price of service

The reason i asked these questions is because all i see on the forums are claim and counter claims with no more evidence than,"hearsay"or "thats what they are doing".

If your struggling to answer them on this forum your complaint to Watchdog will flounder worse than a floundering fish on a wet day in...Yarmouth!!

So are you saying they dont exist ? because if you are all i can do is this :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

There is lots of evidence. IF and i say again IF i or others were to say how they are done on this forum we would be jumped on and rightly so as well. So to prove anything on here is difficult. I have personal experience of a modem being cloned and its not nice.

ZebUK
17-10-2007, 20:11
Sirius, you might want to edit that quote out lol

Smok3y666
17-10-2007, 20:11
Why? I haven't posted how to do it, where to obtain the software or anything else. I was merely correcting and untrue statement. That is how people clone modems and not by selling modem info over some kind of dodgy black market.

ZebUK
17-10-2007, 20:12
Just a little too much information on it though - talk of it is pretty much banned on here.

Sirius
17-10-2007, 20:15
Sirius, you might want to edit that quote out lol

Done :)

brido bhoy
17-10-2007, 20:31

Cloned modems

Traffic management

Price of service

We all know cloning is happening, but to what extect.. who knows.
t

Here goes,

1. I suspect my modem has ben cloned, see my previous post attached on original thread. I would have very little way of proving this as I dont think VM tech support would know what I was talking about if I were to call.

2. I dont have an issue with traffic managemet, IF (and its a big if) I have went over the set threshold for my tier of service. What I do have an issue with, is when I am ALWAYS reduced to 5mb during peak hours (when I would be looking to use my connection), due to what I can only explain as being cloned. I have researched cloning modems and this is not a hard task.

3. I am prepared to pay £37 per month for my 20mb XL broadband service. The key word being MY. I would expect VM uphold the integrity of their network and the service I pay for. Ths is currently not being done, either due to cloning or TM.

I agree with your point on hearsay and counter claims, thats why Im suggesting we get together and do something about it. I that means we monitor our bandwidth, and record it to back up our claims then thats what we do. It will take more than one customer. Lets not sit back and just take it.