PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Access Internet too

BertyB
17-10-2007, 11:46
Hi all,

I have a similar issue as the poster before.

I have recently joined VM with Tv, phone and internet.
I have installed the equipment myself, and it has linked to an NTL wallbox from a previous installation from a previous owner of the property. I was assured that this was compatible.

The Modem is ethernet based, there is no USB option (not sure what make this is)

The tv works fine but the phone and internet don't.

I have tried several things when trying to access the internet.

With XP installed I get part of the way through the installation process until I get a message saying:

DHCP - adapter error - could not renew the ip address for your network adapter

I've tried the disconnect, leave x minutes, reboot thing.
I've tried the ipconfig release/ renew
I've even reinstalled XP from fresh

However I still get the same message.

In a last ditch effort I installed my copy of Vista.

With this, I get an error saying I have no NIC installed?! (I do)

With a bit of fiddling about (windows network repairer) the computer shows a link to the internet (in the network status and toolbar) but I get no access.

I would phone up Customer Support or Techincal Support but as I mentioned my landline isn't working either :td: My only alternative is to use my PAYG mob.. I've already spent ££ sitting in queues and can't afford to pay any more.

Any help anyone is able to provide would be greatly appreciated! ;)

BertyB
17-10-2007, 13:50
ADMIN EDIT (Chris T)

Please don't post multiple threads on the same subject. Also, there's no need to bump your own threads after just two hours. Have a little patience (and recognise that most people are around and reading the forum in the evening, not during the day).

I have deleted your duplicate thread.

banjo
17-10-2007, 14:04
I have had a similar problem and it was caused by a corrupt winsock file, you could try the programme that I used which cured my problem, but be it on your own head :)
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/WinSockFix-Download-15337.html

BertyB
17-10-2007, 14:12
Thanks for the suggestion Banjo.

I can't actually download any sort of fix as I am at work and have no other access to the internet.

Do you know what the reason for your problem was?

MovedGoalPosts
17-10-2007, 14:19
I'd suggest that if your landline isn't working, and your seeing broadband issues too, given that it was a self install, there is a possibility the phone and broadband aren't actually setup / connected.

What, if any, lights are lit on the modem?

Chris
17-10-2007, 14:22
Thread moved, as this appears to be an installation problem.

BertyB
17-10-2007, 14:32
Hi Rob,

The TV works and that comes from the same cable so I think it must be something to do with ip addresses, or perhaps something similar.

I think the phone issue is unconnected. Though I did open the box up and find the main socket didn't look fixed up.. that's a separate issue though. I'll leave that to the phone forum heh

MovedGoalPosts
17-10-2007, 14:37
What happens if you connect the modem in place of the Set Top Box? Does it work then. I'm concerned to establish if your modem is even getting a signal due to the cable being connected, or if the broadband itself is active.

Whatever happens I suspect you'll be needing an engineer for the phone wiring side of things. Maybe the last occupant had gone back to BT from VM for phone? No need for a separate thread on that as this is really all one installation issue.

If the modem wiring is also not working then you want that sorted at the same time to save two separate visits and frustration.

BertyB
17-10-2007, 15:03
Good question re the modem, I can't say at the moment as I am in work (joy). The fact however that Vista shows a connection to the internet (I just can't bring up a webpage... or do anything) does suggest there is some sort of link.

Paul K
17-10-2007, 15:39
Probably just a link to the modem itself, same thing happens on ADSL routers even when the WAN side is not connecting to the servers.
You need to be sure that the cable you are connecting to has an active feed, are any lights on the modem lit and locked?

Mr.X
17-10-2007, 17:06
Go into control panel system devices and then hardware and make sure your NIC drivers are installed correctly. You dont want to see any exclamations marks or red crosses next to it.

I dont think this is likely to be a winsock problem as you've installed a fresh copy of Vista (the dhcp error was XP related, either that or you may have a problem with your NIC).

The messge that you dont have a NIC installed is a common error with the install CD (ignore it) . If your using a NIC you dont need the CD .

When you open up internet explorer click on file and just check your not working offline.

Could you let me know what modem you are using. If its a Motorola the Online light and PC activity light should be solid. If its Scientific Atlanta the cable light should be solid and the PC activity flashing. If the lights are as I have suggested then the problem likely to be with your NIC. Sorry not familiar with the NTL modems. Let us know how it goes.

Oh and Another thing, if this is a self install have you called to register ?

BertyB
17-10-2007, 18:58
Im not sure which modem it is, it's blue, has five lights, an ethernet connection and no USB.

"are any lights on the modem lit and locked?"

Yep, of the five? 3 are solid. its the upstream and downstream which aren't.

I get yellow exclamation marks next to Ethernet controller- I presume this is the modem and not the NIC.

As for activation, I phoned to get the cable tv activated, mentioned the phone and internet too, however my mobile ran out of credit at the time .. Could it be they needed to go through the whole activation process again for the BB separately. Surely having mentioned that I bought phone/tv/bb would have made them realise I wanted them all activated?!

Mr.X
17-10-2007, 19:35
Ok its a driver problem.The ethernet controller will be your Network card. You need to find out what make it is and install the drivers.Is the ethernet controller listed under other devices? Have a look under network adaptors and tell me whats listed there.

BertyB
18-10-2007, 11:43
Thanks for all your advice on this.

Turns out that there infact was no problem, despite all these error messages.
I phoned the tech support at stupid£ per minute only for him to run through a few things and tell me it was all fine and I only needed to register on the VM access page. Of course I never got to this stage in the set up book because strangely enough I assumed there were errors.. what with being told by windows and the VM cd that there were errors.

Anyway, all went swimmingly once I got my pin and code (included in the welcome pack- yeah right) from India. It's okay though, they refunded me the 86p for that call.

This could have been avoided IF they gave full instructions: like not needing the disk for ethernet connections, ignoring the DCHP error messages if you could get a ping from a website, and supplied the pin and code as they say they do (I nearly went mad trying to find them).

It has left me thinking the lack of accurate information is done on purpose in order to squeeze extra money out of customers via the 'help'lines.

Maybe I'm just being cynical.

Despite all of the above, I'm actually very happy with the connection... a romping 17.9megbytings p/sec (yes I'm joking- think phonejacker), and have had far worse experiences with Bulldog and BT.

My question now is, will I be able to change back to XP without ruining the connection? I don't really like Vista, it's a complete resources hog.

I'm expecting a phonecall from Virgin re the phoneline today. So, hopefully by the end of today it will all be sorted!
I have seen mentioned that some of the phone sockets have been disconnected by engineers.. anyone had any experience of this, or is that no true?

Thanks all.