PDA

View Full Version : new vm customer cant get online :-(

ralc
16-10-2007, 18:00
hi i got my setup today im on 4mb and was given just the modem.
I poped the setup cd in and followed the steps, but it always fails halfway through.

I get to the point where it has installed the files and then says updating your computer to work with broadband. It looks for the connection and produces an error saying 'unable to connect to default gateway'
its been driving me mad!

All the relevent green lights are showing on the modem and i get the two little computers sayng ive connected, when i check the status of the connection i can see that the ip looks ok and there is a default gateway set which is almost the same as the ip number, the ip is generated by the DHP thingy.

But i cant get anything in any browsers, and the cd always comes up with the same error telling me to talk to the tech guys on the support number.
I did that speding about 6 quid and getting nowhere, they said my browser must be broke and id have to reinstalll it but im certain thats not the problem.

has anyone had a similar problem or might now where the problem is, thanks in advance :-)

bonzoe
16-10-2007, 18:09
If you connect via ethernet you don't need the CD. USB connection is second best!

Check out http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602415-how-set-up-your-ntl-broadband.html

Tech_Boy
16-10-2007, 18:35
Usb is no longer supplied/supported for new installs, or exsisting customers who run Vista.

MovedGoalPosts
16-10-2007, 20:03
When you check your Internet Explorer Tools > Options > Connections, are those all set to auto detect, with no proxy and always dial connection unticked?

If you do not run the CD, but simply power off the modem, power off computer, leave 30 seconds, power on modem, let settle, power on PC let settle, can you browse to anywhere now?

ralc
17-10-2007, 10:25
yeah the internet explorer options are all set to auto detect, no proxies set.

I tried what you said about powering off modem and the computer but i still cant browse to anywhere :-( so i cant register. Im starting to suspect the line doesnt work but im not sure how to find out if it is, i thought that they would have tested it though when they came to fit the modem but i wasnt in for it, the guy just attached the modem to an already existing line in the house.
If the green light on the modem for enet is on does this mean the line definitely works and its a problem my end?

ive also tried accessing it through my router instead of plugging directly into the modem but i got the same result.

thanks for any help :p:

monkey2468
17-10-2007, 10:36
Try this registration link as shown in the link above.
https://autoreg.autoregister.net

Dai
17-10-2007, 11:40
If the green light on the modem for enet is on does this mean the line definitely works and its a problem my end?
lt.

thanks for any help :p:

Is that the ONLY green light that is on when the modem is powered up?

ralc
17-10-2007, 17:25
ok sorry for taking up peoples time, thanks for replying, the intenet is now working :) exciting!

i just canceled trying to connect directly and went through my router wirelessly and it worked, i was trying that yesterday but it was having none of it but i tried it once today an it worked an i managed to register an all that.

So i dont know what was wrong or how it fixed itself but im greatful it did.

thanks agaiin

ralc