PDA

View Full Version : need help switchin from usb to ethernet plzz.

nas1234
16-10-2007, 10:55
hello, erm basically ive been having problems switchin my motorola surfboard modem to an ethernet connection.. ive been using this modem via a usb connection but i recently bought a wireless router so therfore need an ethernet connection..ive jus uninstalled the usb drivers for the modem and then tried to install the ethernet cable, but however wen i go thru the set up on the cd, wen i plug the ethernet cable in it gives no response...ive tried to power it up but still the activity light does not appear..do i need a new ethernet cable cos no light on the back of my pc appears??

some help would be appreciated thanks..

MovedGoalPosts
16-10-2007, 11:30
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

Is the driver for your ethernet card in your PC loaded, and is the ethernet port enabled? From Control Panel, check network options and the ethernet connection should be listed. If it isn't look in device settings to load the driver.

Remember you must power off the modem and PC, when swapping the cables from USB to ethernet, and the USB lead needs to be completely unplugged from the modem. You shouldn't need the ntl (virgin media) CD.

southwell
16-10-2007, 11:33
Look at the wires on the ethernet cable, do they both have the same colour wires in the same order? If they are then the cable is fine. You should just have to plug in the cable modem to the router, then to your PC and reboot it.
You will need to run the network connection wizard though so the PC picks it up properly.

If there is no light coming on there is a chance that the port is disabled in the bios or device manager.

nas1234
16-10-2007, 20:18
ive been to network connections and der is a connection but it is not my motorola surfboard connectionn. also wen i plugged the usb cable bak in it automatically finds the new hardware, could it be because it is called the motorola surfboard usb cable modem?......:erm:ive gt a linksys fast ethernet adapter which appears in the device manager, but the activity light does not show on my motorola surfboard 4200 modem...i was told to install the drivers for the ethernet connection but how do i do dat??...i was thinkin of jus gettin a router wiv a usb slot but dnt no were 2 get it 4rm??

some help plzz

MovedGoalPosts
16-10-2007, 20:26
For the time being ignore the router. Let's make sure you can connect via ethernet between the modem and a PC first. IF we can't get that far there is no hope for the router ;)

The Linksys fast ethernet adapter in device manager - does it have a yellow exclamation mark or red cross against it? If yes to either of those the adaptor isn't working correctly. You need to load the drivers, right click and select the "update driver" option. You'll then need to follow the wizard and use the disk that came with that adapter.

Your motorola surfboard modem does have an ethernet port on it? Make sure you have done the power off everything thing I suggested above. It may just be that the ethernet cable you have isn't right. Try another if you can.

nas1234
16-10-2007, 21:21
it doesnt have ne exclamation mark or red cross which suggests its working, and ive tried using another ethernet cable but still same problem... when i plug the usb cable bak it works straight away, how ***??, oh ill be gettin a new modem for free from virgin also...

MovedGoalPosts
16-10-2007, 22:15
It's possible the modem is faulty. No doubt the replacement will confirm that.

One more thing you can try to confirm if your PC's ethernet port works OK. Power off, unplug all ethernet / USB cables. Connect ethernet cable only to a LAN port on your router and ethernet port of the computer. Do not connect router to the modem, or USB between PC and modem for now. Power on router, power on PC. You should get an IP address for the PC in the range 192.168.x.x. You should also be able to browse, using Internet Explorer, to the admin page of the router (check the manual for the IP address, typically something like http://192.168.x.x) NB x should be a number between 0 and 255

janipewter
17-10-2007, 07:54
Not sure what "4rm" is but I don't believe you can get a router with a USB WAN port.

ECW_Original
17-10-2007, 07:57
Not sure what "4rm" is but I don't believe you can get a router with a USB WAN port.

"4rm" stands for from, unless there has been a new meaning created within the last few days... :)

Graham M
17-10-2007, 09:36
"4rm" stands for from, unless there has been a new meaning created within the last few days... :)

So why not just type from, it's far easier than trying to remember a shortened version which ends up not really being shortened and sometimes difficult to fathom.