PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing Vm Installation Problems

artprice
16-10-2007, 10:47
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone on Cable Forum for their advice and knowledge. I've been lurking here for years ...

This is my first post, and it concerns ongoing VM installation and maintenance problems in W10. I understand some of you are connected with VM - in which case, HELP!

Every time a VM customer in this house (4 flats, 2 VM customers) makes a change to VM service, the installer leaves a disaster trail behind him.

The three house boxes, attached to outside wall, have no covers, cables are everywhere, hanging out - even components thrown into garden. We have photographs to prove this.

The latest disaster has cut my phone service and disabled my neighbour's broadband and TV service. This resulted from a simple task: a VM installer moving a V box from our living room to my son's room.

This was Saturday. It's now Tuesday, 10.30. An engineer is due to call between 8-12.00.

Every time an installer calls, either my neighbour or myself ask them to tidy up the outside boxes and check the connections. This never happens. The installers say it's not their job.

VM customer support is non-existent. I reported the box problem Saturday, was told a supervisor would call (on mobile, since landline dead) No call. This must be the fifth time I have reported the problem, with the same result: nothing happens.

This is just unaceptable. Who is managing the W10 area? Where are the supervisors? Why is no-one accepting responsability?

If anyone from VM reads this, please get in touch.

Thanks

MovedGoalPosts
16-10-2007, 11:38
:welcome: lurker :D

Firstly, Cable Forum is an independent site. However, we have developed some contacts with Virgin Media (ntl:telewest), and some VM staff do visit and post.

Installers are usually contractors to Virgin Media, and are set a strict fee for each job. They don't get paid to tidy up previous "bodges" on a new install. That's going to have to come from a complaint system, and there you could be struggling. You should all complain whenever a faulty install is carried out as it's only at that time that Virgin Media would have any real ability to solve the problems.

Have you tried submitting a formal written complaint about the mess?

artprice
16-10-2007, 12:54
Thanks Rob

Ok, an engineer has just called. This is his take on what's happening:

1. My VM phone landline was disconnected at the cabinet. No idea why. But the last people to touch the cab were the installers. The engineer was very concise about the installers, and said that VM do have a big problem with them ...

2. All four flats in the house are (or were) VM subscribers. However, there are only 2 (?) cables from the cabinet to the house. So 4 VM subscribers are being serviced by 2 cables, and splitters.

3. The engineer has phoned his manager and a team will be out to sort the cable/splitter/wires everwhere in the next few days.

Hopefully, because this was supposed to have happened 6 months ago ...

I would have thought (not being at all techie) that if you are a VM subsciber, you are entitled to your own connection to the street cabinet, rather than having to share one via a splitter. Is this right?

And this is exactly where I need advice: what, in broad technical terms, am I entitled to as a subscriber, bearing in mind I take the TV-Bband-Phone package?
Does VM have a service standard, ie a set of technical criteria? Or can they get away with running a bit of old speaker cable and a tin can into my home?

I'd like to know this as I'd like to quote it, both in any correspondance and to the engineers ...

BTW, I'm not a VM moaner. When it all works, it works very well. But dealing with VM over problems is a nightmare.

And, if I make a written complaint, where and to whom do I send it?

Ta!