PDA

View Full Version : Removing NTL Broadband Software

dpeace1
16-10-2007, 06:45
There was an a thread 3 years ago having the above title in which removing ntl software was discussed and some respondents referred to having done it, but no-one explained exactly how it was achieved.

I really want to get rid of all my ntl software, but it does not appear in the list of software in Add/Remove software in Control Panel so I cannot uninstall it. Just attempting to delete the ntl folder results in a warning that Smartbridge is currently being used and cannot be deleted.

How can I shut down and clear out all the ntl software without bringing my system down, please?

Paul K
16-10-2007, 08:25
Why not use something like startupcpl to stop the software loading at startup and then delete the folder? Also you might want to look in the folder itself for any un-installation tools or sometimes re-loading the cd will bring the option.

xspeedyx
16-10-2007, 09:27
I am assuming paul mean cmd - msconfig - then unticking the option in the start up tab
I used cccleaner that gets rid of old reg files other than that the only other thing which I dont recomend REFORMAT lol

Paul K
16-10-2007, 12:04
No. startupcpl is a program you can download ;) Much easier to use than msconfig
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Richy99
16-10-2007, 12:10
same thing tbh and i couldnt see how it was easier over msconfig

dpeace1
16-10-2007, 13:27
Thanks guys.

I used Startup Inspector, deleted the ntl folder, and then cleaned up the registry with Registry Mechanic. The software has gone and all seems to well at last.

(Until today I did not realise that the registry also would inititiate startup programs - indeed I often wondered where they were initiated from. Nor did I realise that msconfig offered a way of managing them.)

Many thanks again.

dpeace1