PDA

View Full Version : Non-existent 1 to 8 Mb ADSL upgrade...?

kin242
15-10-2007, 18:34
I was on 1Mb ADSL with Virgin. About 3 weeks ago we requested an upgrade to the 8Mb package. About 2 weeks ago we got an email saying it had been done.
I have monitored www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.com) results (and my download speeds from newsgroups) for the past 2 weeks and the speed is still capped at 1Mb. There has been absolutely no change in speed. After the first week, I rang up and they said it would take 7-10 days to kick in. A week ago I rang up and they said it had only been activated 2 days before that (long after my previous call) and that I still had to leave it for another week or so. That time is now up. My speed is still stuck at 1 Mb!!!

Now I know that speeds are not guaranteed. I do not however believe that my max speed is by coincidence at the same level as a 1 Mb connection! I have tried using the BT Test socket. I have tried using the NTL provided modem instead of my own router- that actually decreased the speed (I use a linksys ADSL router). I have tried combinations of the above. I have switched everything off overnight. I have tried different on-off combinations. I am still totally stuck at 1 Mb (exactly- not just above - I am capped at 1 Mb). I've tried connecting over wifi, cable, direct modem, router... you name it- 1 Mb max!

I used to be on 4 Mb cable so I know what speeds to expect- I am on 1Mb... the tech support guys keep insisting that I am on the right connection package... but I reckon there is a cock-up somewhere and my line has not been switched.

Can anyone help or recommend a course of action? I'm going to try Virgin again tomorrow- probably get told to wait another 10 days... Getting rather sick of it!

thanks!

utt
15-10-2007, 18:41
Have you reset your connection since the upgrade?

Graham M
15-10-2007, 18:45
Hey Noodles, is it still exactly the same speed as you were getting? Your line might just not be capable of any more than a meg?

kin242
15-10-2007, 18:48
Hey Noodles, is it still exactly the same speed as you were getting? Your line might just not be capable of any more than a meg?

Hey mate

The speed varies but the maximum is the same as before - it is equivalent to the max of a 1Mb line. I'm pretty close to my local exchange so that should not be an issue (less than a mile- probably less than half a mile). I think its unlikely that the maximum speed just happens to be exactly the same as that of a 1Mb line...

I have reset the connection regularly. I left it off overnight a couple of nights ago just to see.

utt
15-10-2007, 19:29
Do you have a router. If so what does it as the line speed up and download within the connection page

kin242
15-10-2007, 20:38
Do you have a router. If so what does it as the line speed up and download within the connection page

Router: Linksys WAG354G

On the status - DSL connection page:

Downstream Rate: 8128 KbpsUpstream Rate:448 Kbps

Can this be correct? I am not getting those speeds at all!!!!

Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:24:08 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 44934 ms = 22.8 KB/sec, approx 188 Kbps, 0.18 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 30384 ms = 33.7 KB/sec, approx 278 Kbps, 0.27 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 33518 ms = 30.6 KB/sec, approx 252 Kbps, 0.25 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 80987 ms = 25.3 KB/sec, approx 208 Kbps, 0.2 Mbps

Pretty crap at the moment!!!

Overall Average Speed = approx 232 Kbps, 0.22 Mbps

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

DSL Status: UP DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT DSL Path Mode: FAST Downstream Rate: 8128 Kbps Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps Downstream Margin: 12 db Upstream Margin: 25 db Downstream Line Attenuation: 11 Upstream Line Attenuation: 7 Downstream Transmit Power: 0 Upstream Transmit Power: 0

utt
15-10-2007, 20:52
That shows you have an 8Mb connection.

Have you tried downloading large files instead of using a speed test. This should give you a more accurate figure for download as speed tests are fairly inaccurate

kin242
15-10-2007, 21:33
That shows you have an 8Mb connection.

Have you tried downloading large files instead of using a speed test. This should give you a more accurate figure for download as speed tests are fairly inaccurate

Am currently downloading OpenSuse and it seems to average at around 35KB/Sec according to the bandwidth monitor in my sidebar... :(

xspeedyx
15-10-2007, 22:40
where are you downloading from try using microsoft and if you are using a d/l mamnger disable it post back

kin242
16-10-2007, 06:56
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/10/15.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Downloads from Microsoft max out at around 118Kb/Sec... No download manager. OpenSuse gets about the same download right this morning (less traffic I guess)

kin242
16-10-2007, 09:04
I also get the same rate (up to 118) off easynews. This is the rate I should be getting on a 1Mb connection not an 8 Mb connection. Its the same rate I got before.

Am I just incredibly unlucky in that despite living close to the exchange my max connection speed is stuck at exactly the same level as a 1Mb connection?

ARGH I'm teaaring my hair out!!!

Graham M
16-10-2007, 09:21
It could just be a really, really bad line. Saying that, how long ago did they do the upgrade?

kin242
16-10-2007, 09:30
It could just be a really, really bad line. Saying that, how long ago did they do the upgrade?

Every time I ring I get a different story. Allegedly just over a week ago.

I think the line is OK. I have splitters on every used socket. I've even tried the BT test socket. The figures from the router look reasonable...

god knows. I may just ask them to downgrade me back to a 1Mb connection as it seems that is all I can get anyway! Its a **** poor connection for online gaming though!

tweetiepooh
16-10-2007, 10:21
I varied on OpenSuSE. 20Mb in the morning down to around 5-10Mb around lunch time from the Kent mirror so you're right in thinking that it may be server load.

Distance from exchange means the distance the wire runs not the bird flies. It will also depend on the quality of the wires and bits between. I have a friend who lives in spitting distance from the exchange but the wires run the long way around and his speed is also somewhat limited.

danielf
16-10-2007, 10:28
Try the BT speedtester and post your results here. You might have a stuck profile.

http://speedtester.bt.com/

kin242
16-10-2007, 13:08
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: Download Failed (1) -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 905 kbps

danielf
16-10-2007, 13:28
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: Download Failed (1) -provides background information.
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 905 kbps

There you go: your IP profile is 1 meg, while your line is capable of 8 meg. Your profile should be adjusted automatically, but occasionally this fails to happen. You need to raise this issue with your ISP (tell them you have a 'stuck profile'). They should contact BT and put in a request to have your profile reset.

kin242
16-10-2007, 13:31
There you go: your IP profile is 1 meg, while your line is capable of 8 meg. Your profile should be adjusted automatically, but occasionally this fails to happen. You need to raise this issue with your ISP (tell them you have a 'stuck profile'). They should contact BT and put in a request to have your profile reset.

YOU STAR!!!!

Thank you- will go call them now!!! Thanks and thanks again! :p:

edit- just been on the phone to them and they said if I disconnect for 2 hours it should automatically reset... pfft gonna try that- be back on later... will post if it worked or now!

danielf
16-10-2007, 13:52
YOU STAR!!!!

Thank you- will go call them now!!! Thanks and thanks again! :p:

edit- just been on the phone to them and they said if I disconnect for 2 hours it should automatically reset... pfft gonna try that- be back on later... will post if it worked or now!

Wait for the two hours, if it doesn't change get back to them. I've never had to go through this, but from what I understand action from BT is required with a stuck profile. VM will need to contact them, and unfortunately BT can be slow in unlocking a stuck profile. Still, on the upside: you now know what the problem is.

kin242
16-10-2007, 16:41
OK well its still 1000KBPS on the BT speed test site.

Rang NTL again. Spoke to a very nice but utterly useless chap who obviously didnt really understand what I was talking about (great for a premium number).

I explained I had left it off overnight and that it needed to be referred to BT... He just didnt/wouldnt get it and kept trying to get me to go on their online support instead- I would save money as their support line is a premium number and it would take ages for him to sort my problem out... I explained time and time again that THIS IS A BT PROBLEM AND THEY NEED TO SPEAK TO THEM... falling on deaf ears...

The remote assistance site is useless. Apparently I have to refresh until I can get in properly (wow how cool is that?) so I am stuck pressing F5 again and again...

danielf
16-10-2007, 16:51
You could try calling them again (I know :rolleyes:) in the hope of finding someone that knows what a BRAS profile is. Alternatively, you may decide to leave (if possible), and choose a provider that is more clued up. Entanet resellers generally get good reviews.

With your line stats you should be looking at 6.5 meg (max) downloads. Less in congested times. You're synching at 8128 which is the max sync speed. You should be on 7150 profile, which is the maximum profile on ADSLmax

Edit :check out http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php for ratings of ADSL providers. You'll find VM somewhere at the bottom.

kin242
16-10-2007, 17:34
They want me to do the following and give them the results of speed tests etc:

The main cause for having a low IP Profile is from dropping connections, which is usually caused from having your modem connection through an extension socket or connecting through an extension lead, this causes the line to be detected as unstable which is where the IP Profile takes effect. The IP Profile will drop to a sufficient amount in order to reduce the bandwidth, which helps to stabilise the connection.

Once the problem on the line is found by removing the extension cables, and connecting into the main BT socket it is possible to increase the IP Profile, which will results in a faster stable connection.

To increase the IP Profile you will need to connect to the Internet and leave it connected for about 15 minuets. After you have been connected for 15 minuets disconnect and leave disconnected for around 5 minuets, after this once again connect to the Internet and leave for 15 minuets. Follow this process around 5 times each day for 4 – 5 days. This will increase your IP Profile if it is possible to do so.

Please note that when you are disconnecting a router, please do so by accessing the router setting page, as just unplugging the router will not show up as user request at the exchange.

I'm not holding my breath. Doing it a few times now and will send the stuff back but if we dont get a better connection sorted in the next few days we're jumping ship. I once again had to explain the whole thing to their tech support only to be met with disbelief and once again be deferred rather than having them actually lift a finger to help.

I just did a 5 minute disconnect via the router and hey- guess what!!!

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 882 kbps

NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!! Going to give it a few more tries and send them the result with an ultimatum!

danielf
16-10-2007, 18:33
<snip>

I'm not holding my breath. Doing it a few times now and will send the stuff back but if we dont get a better connection sorted in the next few days we're jumping ship. I once again had to explain the whole thing to their tech support only to be met with disbelief and once again be deferred rather than having them actually lift a finger to help.

I just did a 5 minute disconnect via the router and hey- guess what!!!

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 882 kbps

NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!! Going to give it a few more tries and send them the result with an ultimatum!

All of that is true (to a certain extent), but as far as I'm aware it shouldn't apply to a line with your stats (I'm relatively new to ADSL). You sync at the max rate and have great SNR and Attenuation. You are probably less than 500 yards from the exchange, yet you are stuck on BT's initial training profile. Your profile should have gone up over your training period, and it hasn't (despite all your router reboots). It's stuck. If VM don't know what a stuck profile is, I would change supplier to one that does. Have a look at the site I linked to earlier. Choose one that looks good, and call them to ask if they can deal with it.

Edit:

Stuck bRAS profile.

Many customers have found themselves with the dreaded "Stuck bRAS profile". This is when despite constantly syncing at much higher speeds, your IP profile remains stuck at 1mb/2Mb. For some reason the DLM system hasn't picked up that you have been upgraded from your traditional adsl speed to your new sync speed.
Personal observations tend to show that it is generally the better lines which tend to get stuck on their old 2Mb speed, possibly because their SNR is better and they suffer from fewer fluctuations.
If your newly maxed connection constantly syncs at high speeds for more than 3 days, and you cant get speeds over 2Mb, check your IP profile on the BT Performance test. If this figure shows as 2000 for more than 3 days, then the likelyhood is that you have a stuck bRAS profile. In this case you need to contact your ISP to ask BTw to reset your IP profile.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxdsl2.htm

kin242
26-10-2007, 16:50
I finally found out today from the on-line tech support that I can only get 1Mb in my area anyway because of the local exchange. I'm only 200 metres away but it is crap and there are no plans to upgrade it... The tech support guy could not explain why noone had checked this before- he said it was always the first thing he checked (I had asked every engineer I dealt with and they all insisted I should be able to get at least 5Mb if not more).

Needless to say I am furious- I have spend 3 weeks trying to get my speed upgraded when the one simple check I asked to be done- which should have been done at point of sale- was not done properly. Not only that but I am now stuck with a ****ty connection with no hope of an increase.

BLOODY FURIOUS!!!