PDA

View Full Version : Installation? What Installation?

RDDearing
15-10-2007, 13:31
Where to begin with the saga that is my install... Originally booked for the 29th of September, I find a note through the door on the Friday to say that the cable pull prior to install couldn't take place as there was no duct. The construction team would do this and my install was rebooked for me for the 12th according to the note. On Wednesday last week (10th) I got another note through the door, this time from the construction lot to say "we have found a problem, please call us" - now bear in mind that both notes feature the same phone number for the ex-Telewest area. Having been passed from pillar to post I got a number for the ex-NTL construction lot and was told the construction lot would be out Thurs/Fri and that my install was rebooked for the 13th (another Saturday) between 1 and 6. Will Thursday and Friday came and went with no sign of any work taking place so Saturday I waited patiently for the install guy to appear and explain to him that his time would be wasted. By 3pm I phoned construction again to find out if they really did plan to dig up the road, lay the duct and install my service within 3 hours to which the rude chap told me it was all on target. Well be 6.30 I hadn't seen a soul and when I phoned customer service at 7pm I was told the engineer reported "customer did not attend" - well of course I saw red!

So now, having phoned construction again this morning, they called the contractor whilst I held on the line and they confirmed that the works were taking place today (sound familiar?). Not looking good since the mother-in-law walked past at 12:30 and nothing has happened. Could I be phoning again in the morning I wonder...

MovedGoalPosts
15-10-2007, 14:55
Oh dear sounds like a case of phone ping pong and head in sand. I always fail to understand why they can't just give a straight answer and clear information to the customer.

In most cases, the "construction" work is very minor, simply removing the bit of tarmac that covered over the connector plate on the duct. It's rare that VM would actually install new ductwork, unless it was for a customer already in service. New ducting just isn't something they financially do.

Let us know how this develops.

RDDearing
15-10-2007, 15:04
Sorry that was my mistake - they actually need to "T" off from the main service in the road as there is no installation point, or "cap" in the road, outside my house. The house opposite me has an installation similar if not identical to the one I will end up with so really don't get what the issue is. After 2 and a half weeks I'm not looking forward to going home to more disappointment!

MovedGoalPosts
15-10-2007, 17:32
If you find nothing has happened, I'd be happy to escalate this with Cable Forum's VM contacts who are senior enough to cut through the excuses and misinformation that can occur. PM me your customer name, address and a daytime phone number.

RDDearing
16-10-2007, 08:03
The good news is whilst I was ranting and raving to construction/installations yesterday afternoon, a shiny new VM cap was sitting in the pavement outside my house. Fingers crossed then that the install takes place on Saturday!

MovedGoalPosts
16-10-2007, 08:31
Good to know there are signs of progress :tu:

RDDearing
20-10-2007, 20:34
Well today was install day and at 17:00 I was prepared to throw in the towel again just as two vans pulled up outside. I'm now all set up and I have to say that the engineers couldn't have been better given the requirements I had for where to run the cables both outside and inside. Even when I realised I didn't have a PIN for registering Broadband, I phoned the premium number, got registered and am getting credited to my bill for my time.

So, in spite of all the 3 week hassle in getting this all done, well done today Virgin, you've made me happy!