PDA

View Full Version : NI Customer

PeterNI
15-10-2007, 00:15
Hi everyone, new to VM and the forum so excuse the perhaps laborious read...just thught I'd share my not-so-perfect experience so far:

Recently got XL Broadband installed by VM and am pleased with the improvement from my previous 1.5mbps AOL phone line speed! However two things:

The fastest speed I have seen on a download? >>> 280 kb/s ??? Surely should be tonnes more?

Perhaps more of an issue was the man that sold us it (Martin ******) on the phone said that due to us also ordering the VM phone service; (unlimited UK landline calls anytime - hang up after 59 mins and call back) we would also automatically be getting the Size M TV package - I thought no problem, great - but only intended using it for the bedroom as we have SKY as our living room tv source...

Engineers arrive, talk us through the steps to be taken, complete the install and are about to leave - I inquire as to the TV service and the phone - and got politely told accompanied by a bewildered expression "But we've only got one install down here, there's nothing about TV or phone" - so I phone Virgin Media to see if I can contact the man who sold the package: Martin ****** on the number he gave me 01384 867594 . This rings like an ordinary landline for 30 seconds then answering machine with a lady saying "You're through to Virgin Media, unfortunately we cannot take your call right now, please leave your name etc etc" I do this asking if Martin ****** can contact me back directly - he doesn't, this was 4 days ago.

I have tried phoning again and again, got through to a lady saying she would email him personally to alert him to my problem - this also being that I need to keep AOL online until VM sorts the phone package out as my phone line is a package with AOL! I would rather not pay the 2x £40 to to ISP's in one month! So come on VM acquire some customer service!

Peter
:bsmack:

danielf
15-10-2007, 00:25
The fastest speed I have seen on a download? >>> 280 kb/s ??? Surely should be tonnes more?

Just picking out this bit: What BB plan did you sign up for (speedwise)?

One thing to try is to download and run TCP Optimizer (http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php). It may or may not help, but if it does, the difference can be quite big.

WHISTLED
15-10-2007, 08:26
You should remove the sales agents name, thats not on mate.

Additionally just call sales on the 0800 number not thei desk phone he gave you, why give the sales guy more commission if he hasnt completed the order correctly in the first place

Graham M
15-10-2007, 09:04
Just picking out this bit: What BB plan did you sign up for (speedwise)?

One thing to try is to download and run TCP Optimizer (http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php). It may or may not help, but if it does, the difference can be quite big.

He said XL so that'd be 20meg

PeterNI
15-10-2007, 13:42
You should remove the sales agents name, thats not on mate.

Why is it not on that his name mentioned? There is no deformation of character happening here - what I've said is what happened, and like another guy said - he's getting commission on services I haven't received. I mean I know there's nothing being acheived by mentioning him, but there is no malice on my part by doing so.

Anyway...I contacted VM today; the man on the phone Henry - surname not known, was very friendly and helpful - problem is (and again this NOT Henry's fault, Martin's) the first sales guy (Martin) didn't tell me I would NEED to change my home landline number to receive VM's Phone Service - And I can't get the TV Size: M without taking the phone service - so now I can do either of the following:

- > Cancel VM if I want to keep my landline number - Pay the £39.99/month I was paying to AOL for 1.5Mbps Broadband via phone line & Anytime 01 and 02 numbers with AOL Talk PLUS the £55 line rental to BT every quarter.

- > Keep VM as my ISP, cancel AOL (which cancels my AOL Talk minutes allowance), meaning I have to pay VM £29.99/month, BT £55 Line rental per quarter PLUS whatever to BT for inclusive minutes.

- > Just agree to change my number to one VM issues me, and get Phone (Anytime & Unlimited to 01/02 numbers), XL Broadband and TV: M for £39.99 per month with NO BT line rental!

Now you may think this is a no brainer - go with the last option - makes sense financially and quality of net browsing speed, plus overall I'm saving £ on what I had before - significant £ in fact - the wife is the one that causes me to contemplate first two because she wants phone number kept same - to be fair VM did not say I would need to change my number, so I feel a bit misled because now that I have their net in, I think well it makes sense for the rest to be in. Anyone else think they should've told me or checked my number first before selling to me?

Just wondering in case I'm just being picky about it.

Peter

P.S. Thanks for the replies so far guys, and thanks for recommending the TCP Optimiser I'll give that a shot - thanks!

WHISTLED
15-10-2007, 17:04
Why is it not on that his name mentioned? There is no deformation of character happening here - what I've said is what happened, and like another guy said - he's getting commission on services I haven't received. I mean I know there's nothing being acheived by mentioning him, but there is no malice on my part by doing so.

Actually it was sme that said that...

You have hit the nail on the head.. There is nothing to be achived so there is no need to do it.

We including you dont know the circumstances behind whats happened - the sales guy may not be at fault (although I suspect he probably was)

Simply put forums are not the place to publish peoples names regardless of what has taken place.

Re you problem, why is your number not portable?